GDT: Hurricanes @ Caps 11/8/14 8PM

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't see the team being particularly bad at anything specific (other than goaltending). Right now they are inconsistent. I think they're still learning how to use that possession game to effectively create chances.

I don't really see chemistry as much of an issue anymore (not in the past few games at least). Bura+Mojo+Brouwer have looked very very good. Nicky and Ovi always have it, and Wilson seems to be a better fit there than any other person on this roster.

If that 3rd line can get something going consistently we'd be in a great shape.

Even with some of these inconsistencies we seem to be able to score 3 goals almost every night, which as Trotz said should be enough to win majority of the games.

Right now they need to figure out why they keep blowing leads.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I do not have utter faith in the underlying and ultimate truth of possession stats, no. At least not in such a generally applied sense. A healthy dose of context, specific application and the eye test are still required.

Breaking down individual/relative Fenwick shows:
- Green/Schmidt are driving play very nicely in a soft minute role but the shutdown pair is too conservative. Mostly that's Carlson not regularly being an impact player offensively. He has to emerge for them to contend.
- Brouwer is still a problem 5-on-5 yet remains a top six lock. Chimera & Laich aren't much better so depth is a bit suspect.
- Fehr has done decent in terms of possession yet (deservedly) doesn't have Trotz's trust.
- Wilson on the top line helps things considerably if it works but, like I said, there remains a significant lack of chemistry and timing in the offensive zone overall.
- Kuznetsov has been okay yet has no real set place in the lineup or consistent linemates that will make him more effective offensively.

There's a lot of moving parts there and no clear way to fit them together. They arguably have two extra top nine forwards when healthy and little apparent desire not to roll out a typical grinding fourth-line. Fundamentally I question whether enough of the forwards make those around them better. Overall it looks like a group in transition. They're outworking teams much of the time but it's the inefficiency that's concerning. It's not enough to outwork teams and expect to win. They've still got to outexecute and they don't really push the envelope in that regard.

They seem to pass the eye test to me. We just see it differently.

It seems you want them to dominate another team for 60 minutes and play mistake free hockey. I don't think there is a team EVER that has done this game in game out for 80+ games.

There is another team out there who will make pushes. They will create turnovers and score on them.

I don't see inefficiency unless you mean not finishing the quality chances they are creating. Over the course of 82 games I expect them to do this much better and I also expect goaltending to improve.

I think you're expectations are a bit much. Chicago and LA (for example) don't do this. They turn it over sometimes alot. Their players make mistakes. Sometimes they go thru stretches where they can't finish (LA especially).

Given the fact that we have a new coach, a completely different system, a few rookies playing prime icetime, 2 new faces in the top 4 on D etc we are doing darn good thru 14 games and we should really have a much better record based on our play.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think right now what any fan would like to see from this team is a chain of games where they not only dominate the stats but also the scoreboard.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i think most caps fans overrated the goalies. neuvy and holty are solid starters but far from top tier varly however may be in that class but as injury prone he is not a reliable starter. in the future holty will be average for a long time before he may develop in something more.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
i think most caps fans overrated the goalies. neuvy and holty are solid starters but far from top tier varly however may be in that class but as injury prone he is not a reliable starter. in the future holty will be average for a long time before he may develop in something more.

You can draw all these conclusions when these goalies are hardly 25 years old??

You must have thought Hasek and Kolzig sucked at the same ages (because they were not good until they turned 28 or so)

Holtby has all the tools to be an excellent goalie and needs time to develop.

I think right now what any fan would like to see from this team is a chain of games where they not only dominate the stats but also the scoreboard.

Build it and they will come...

Dominating possession stats will lead to winning a chain of games with much greater probability than getting crushed in possession stats. The wins will pile up as long as the team maintains this strong possession game.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

i'll settle for a winning record and a puncher's chance in the playoffs.

my ambitions are scaling back as I get older :)

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Hell, string together a chain of games where there is a good consistent effort for 60 minutes. Then throw in a couple games where they just run a team over.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I think you're expectations are a bit much. Chicago and LA (for example) don't do this. They turn it over sometimes alot. Their players make mistakes. Sometimes they go thru stretches where they can't finish (LA especially).

I remember a recent Blackhawks game that Chicago dominated, but couldn't protect a 2-goal second period lead and lost.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I remember a recent Blackhawks game that Chicago dominated, but couldn't protect a 2-goal second period lead and lost.

Exactly. No team is perfect.

I remember even in our 09-10 season there were people complaining about not dominating every team for 60 minutes for 82 games. People would blow up even after wins.

Thats just unreasonable to me. Its as if the other team does not exist and any push back from them is deemed unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad