GDT: Hurricanes @ Caps 11/8/14 8PM

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If you believe that, there's no point in a dialogue. I think most here see it differently. I will leave it at that.

This.

Wilson is the PERFECT player for the Ovie/Backs line.

Trotz needs to put him there and keep him there for the rest of the season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He is crap at ES. Get over it.

He's a one trick pony on the PP and that's about it.

The sooner you realize that, the closer we are to getting rid of him.

Burakovsky, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov, etc. are the future of this team. But it won't matter what they do as long as Ovechkin is on this team eating up 9 million in cap space, let alone being the CAPTAIN.

Like I say, we're one trade away from being LEGIT annual cup contender.

This is a joke.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovie is the best player any of you are going to ever see in a Capitals sweater. He was the player in the world for a few years, now he's only in the top 5 of best players in the world. We absolutely stand a better chance at winning a cup with him than without him. And, not to mention, half of the people in this city aren't fans of the team without 8 skating in Red. It's absurd the disrespect he gets. Is he beyond reproach or perfect? Absolutely not, but he's an unbelievable talent who only wants to bring a cup to DC.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovie is the best player any of you are going to ever see in a Capitals sweater. He was the player in the world for a few years, now he's only in the top 5 of best players in the world. We absolutely stand a better chance at winning a cup with him than without him. And, not to mention, half of the people in this city aren't fans of the team without 8 skating in Red. It's absurd the disrespect he gets. Is he beyond reproach or perfect? Absolutely not, but he's an unbelievable talent who only wants to bring a cup to DC.

Couldn't have said it better.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008

agree with everything :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At the time of the trade there is no way GMGM knew Bura would be ready this season. This was a monumentally bad trade, and in fact makes me wonder what exactly it was about FF they didn't like. n

I don't think you are seeing exactly what I am saying. Bura is ahead of schedule and by virtue of that is clearly messing with the plan for Kuznetsov. Add Forsberg to the situation and you have Burakovsky in the AHL and Kuznetsov on the 4th line and still struggling for ice time.

By all appearances Forsberg was traded because Wilson, a style of player they have needed, looked to be ahead of schedule and had jumped Forsberg on the depth chart. For obvious reasons they had Kuznetsov ahead of all of them on that depth chart.

Who knows, without Burakovsky turning Trotz head in development camp maybe Kuznetsov stays ahead of the group and both Forsberg and Burakovsky are in Hershey.

What I am saying and have been saying is that were Forsberg kept that the roster makeup remains the same. a player currently with an nhl roster spot would be in the AHL instead.

I am not defending the return of the trade. spilled milk. I think Burakovsky is great. I would feel the same way had Bura or Kuz been traded instead of Forsberg.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
You're argument makes zero sense.

Wilson is young and playing on the top line. Forsberg would be a better on that line.

O'Brien is young and playing on the 4th line. You send him to Hershey and move Wilson there.

Same amount of young players on the team.

If Wilson plays well move him up to Chimera's spot.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Wilson looks fantastic with Ovie and Backstrom. He's big like Ovie, hits like Ovie, and he actually catches and connects passes with both Ovie and Backstrom. I hope he's not seriously hurt. They need to stay together.

Bura, Mojo, and Brouwer are developing some amazing chemistry. I'm most surprised at how well Brouwer and Mojo are together. Bura may be their glue. I'd hate for them to break up.

Forsberg is no longer a Cap. I don't know why he's being discussed. He's gone.

I agree with earlier sentiments. Ovechkin gets serious disrespect. He gets it all over the main board; it's a shame he gets it here too.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wilson looks fantastic with Ovie and Backstrom. He's big like Ovie, hits like Ovie, and he actually catches and connects passes with both Ovie and Backstrom. I hope he's not seriously hurt. They need to stay together.

Bura, Mojo, and Brouwer are developing some amazing chemistry. I'm most surprised at how well Brouwer and Mojo are together. Bura may be their glue. I'd hate for them to break up.

Forsberg is no longer a Cap. I don't know why he's being discussed. He's gone.

I agree with earlier sentiments. Ovechkin gets serious disrespect. He gets it all over the main board; it's a shame he gets it here too.

Because we need another talented winger in the top 6, he's tearing it up this year, and we gave him away in a pathetic attempt to save George's job. Other than that, no reason to discuss.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Because we need another talented winger in the top 6, he's tearing it up this year, and we gave him away in a pathetic attempt to save George's job. Other than that, no reason to discuss.

He's not going to magically appear on the Caps' roster, no matter how much we lament Mcphee's trade. I'd rather focus on who we have now. But it was rude of me to suggest not discussing; it just seems an exercise in frustration.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
how many top 6 players would you say are on this team txpd?

7 or 8.

of course we are going to argue over the players we do or don't think belong in that group. which is really beside the point.

Wilson is one kind of top 6 player.
Johansson, Burakovsky, Kuznetsov are another type of top 6 player. In the case of this group the Caps clearly want two and no more in their 6. I am not telling you something you don't know.

Trotz would not skate a line of Kuznetsov Forsberg and Burakovsky. He wont use Kuznetsov with Bura and Mojo. For pure experience reasons you wont see Wilson with Bura either.

I suppose you can argue all day and night that Trotz is wrong but it seems pretty obvious what his preference is there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's not going to magically appear on the Caps' roster, no matter how much we lament Mcphee's trade. I'd rather focus on who we have now. But it was rude of me to suggest not discussing; it just seems an exercise in frustration.

Wasn't rude of you, but I do think the discussion on Forsberg should be kept to its own thread (thanks, mods). People hated the trade when it happened and hate it more now that he's doing so well.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
real talk is that the caps are playing differently with a lead (hunter style in shell?) It's not working very well.. I'd like to see the caps with the gas to the floor the whole game.. Either that or Trotz needs to find a mixture of what he's trying to accomplish with the lead. Please for the love of all leave the FF talk to the main thread now, its maddening.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I watched the GWG, turned off the TV and went to bed happy. Figured most would do the same. Slept great. Got up this morning, grabbed some breakfast, flipped on the computer.... hmm let's check back in and see if there's any new...

CSDG2ua.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did we get any sort of injury update on Wilson last night?

From Prewit and CI:

INJURY NOTES: Trotz didn’t provide much concrete updates on Wilson and Laich. Wilson exited during the second period with a lower-body injury, which Trotz said was unrelated to the ankle Wilson broke and had surgically repaired this summer. On television replays, Wilson appeared to come up lame while chasing a puck in Carolina’s zone.

Laich’s scratch seemed more precautionary than anything. With a surplus of healthy forwards and two games in as many days, the Capitals could afford to hold the forward out if his left shoulder, hurt Oct. 18 against Florida, was bothering him.

“Back to back a little bit, just we felt he wasn’t quite there,†Trotz said. “He’ll get reevaluated a little bit on Monday.â€

So if you believe the company line, Wilson's injury isn't a regression of the old one. I'm guessing some kind of overuse injury like a mild strain or something that they didn't want to aggravate further. When it happened I thought maybe cramp, and not serious. I'll be surprised if he misses more time. But the current administration seems to be very, very cautious with injuries so who knows.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If Wilson and Laich are both out, might we see Kuzya on Ovie and Nicky's line?

8-19-92
90-65-20
25-16-42
87-46-83

But, we'll most likely see 92 centering 87 and 46 and 83 with 19 and 8.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I watched the GWG, turned off the TV and went to bed happy. Figured most would do the same. Slept great. Got up this morning, grabbed some breakfast, flipped on the computer.... hmm let's check back in and see if there's any new...

I am happy. I'm always happy with a win. Winning is hard. During that 5 game losing stretch I thought we were the better team every night with the exception of Vancouver. Other teams got the bounces and we didn't. That's hockey. Most people won't be happy unless we win every game 10-0 and no mistakes are made.

Edit: I was also very, very pleased to see how hard they came out to start the game considering how hard fought the game was the previous night was against Chicago. I was some what expecting them to come out flat and blow it against the Canes (who had won 4 straight themselves). 2 pts is 2 pts, and we have a very favorable schedule this week and for the month of November. Keep the momentum going. We should win 6 out of our next 9 games, at least, if we play the way we're capable of playing.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm thrilled with the outcome of the weekend, especially since they were down 2-0 to Chicago on Friday... but I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with the team. We're getting to the point where they're starting to become what they will be for the rest of the year, and they don't look great. The honeymoon period with Trotz is winding down and the grind is starting to set in. Who will the Caps be this year?

They're clearly not a bottom-dweller, but I don't see any signs that they're a contender, either. They're better than last year, but by how much?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Had other plans last night so I missed the game. Is it worth watching it tonight?

If Wilson and Laich are both out, might we see Kuzya on Ovie and Nicky's line?

8-19-92
90-65-20
25-16-42
87-46-83

But, we'll most likely see 92 centering 87 and 46 and 83 with 19 and 8.
Personally, I'd want 16 on the top line again. Fehr didn't put up points, but that top line looked great in the first few games of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad