Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Capitals | 3/31/15 | 7:00 PM ET | Caps Win 4-2

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
of all our possible opponents, including the Habs and Bolts ... I'm extremely optimistic if we can get the Pens or Isles first up

some of our core have to be a little hesitant given recent playoff experience

let Trotz weave his magic and make the core believe versus the crap Pens which we all "know" we can beat

before we take on the Rags who we "think" we can beat

I put the Habs and Bolts somewhere above Pens and Isles, but below the Rags
This is my view. That's why I'm hoping the Caps can pinch 3rd even facing a brutal final schedule.

One of my friends thinks the Rags are just as beatable... and given our history w/Pitt and what Halak did to us in 2010 w/the Habs. He's using the psychological angle. I've been telling him that the Rags would be the worst for us in R1.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Right on Vlad!

That was awesome and no words can do it justice. What a run!! Young guns coming to age, Boudreau jumping up and down on the bed when he got the job, last place as of Thanksgiving.

Ovie's 4 goal game vs Ottawa "Can you stop this guy! CAN YOU STOP THIS GUY!" haha...then sweet 4 goal broken nose game vs Montreal after we blew the lead late and he got his 4th in OT..of a Schultz assist.

Fedorov getting traded here and going "meh...(I thought I would be going to a REAL team like Detroit!)" then instantly being won over and saying on resigning "I'm going to think about it and talk with my teamates over the offseason"

Don't Stop Believin'...thanks to Backstrom and his Swede love for Journey.

Almost making an epic comeback in round 1 vs Philly despite not figuring out playoff hockey til game 4.

Game 6 was one of my favorite playoff games ever. Ovie down and out. Caps down 2-0. Insane passing play by Nick and Semin to close the gap. Semin tying it before intermission. Then ..we get called for a millionth penalty...kill it...Ovechkin stone cold turkey breakaway...can hear Joe Bs call from here. Then Ovie with the exclamation point on a bomb a bit later in the game.

We really had a fierce territorial edge in game 7. Biron was amazing. We deserved to keep that run going.

Other than the run to the finals a few years earlier, definitely that was my favorite season in terms of the experience of sitting and watching. I did really enjoy the Presidents' Trophy season also though--I'm one of the few who actually cares about that award I guess.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007

Just for fun.

This game was unreal, I was in grade 8 at the time but remember this series being so much fun. Not only this series but the entire run up to the playoffs, just amazing. We got absolutely jobbed by the refs in that Flyers series though, that game 7 missed goalie interference still pisses me off.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I've learned to never root for a particular match up...

I just want to link up with the teams that we will ultimately beat. Rinse and repeat three more times after the first one...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Other than the run to the finals a few years earlier, definitely that was my favorite season in terms of the experience of sitting and watching. I did really enjoy the Presidents' Trophy season also though--I'm one of the few who actually cares about that award I guess.

I agree. Have to enjoy the ride. I loved the 90 run...Druce on the Loose. The comeback vs Philly in 88.

I never got as attached to the 98 team altho I enjoyed that run. It was mostly Kolzig standing on his head and a few lucky breaks (offsides vs Buffalo and toe in the crease vs Boston). The 90 team simply engulfed and dominated the Devs and Rags at times.

In fact I never cared much for Ron Wilson's iterations of the Caps and it was difficult to find good in the Jagr era.

Boudreau? I loved all those seasons and was a bit let down when we went to the trap.

This game was unreal, I was in grade 8 at the time but remember this series being so much fun. Not only this series but the entire run up to the playoffs, just amazing. We got absolutely jobbed by the refs in that Flyers series though, that game 7 missed goalie interference still pisses me off.

Now I really feel old.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That series and the games leading up to it was the hungriest I've ever seen any Caps team. They wanted to win. I think the most overachieving team in DC sports history. Those were some fun times.

I think there are iterations of our team in the history of the franchise that were just as hungry. Just nothing more memorable in my mind for sure.

The team was so young that they didn't know better.

I always wonder how things would have turned out in the past near decade had we won game 7 vs Philly. Biron played insane in the 3rd period. We should have won the game then.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if Peeters hadn't given up a goal from the corner, if Mason's skate didn't break, If they don't give Kolzig that ridiculous high sticking penalty, if Esa didn't miss the open net, If Ov scores on breakaway in game 7 v the Pens, if Ward doesn't get that high sticking penalty and so on. its cruel.

Vladiator16*

Right on Vlad!

That was awesome and no words can do it justice. What a run!! Young guns coming to age, Boudreau jumping up and down on the bed when he got the job, last place as of Thanksgiving.

Ovie's 4 goal game vs Ottawa "Can you stop this guy! CAN YOU STOP THIS GUY!" haha...then sweet 4 goal broken nose game vs Montreal after we blew the lead late and he got his 4th in OT..of a Schultz assist.

Fedorov getting traded here and going "meh...(I thought I would be going to a REAL team like Detroit!)" then instantly being won over and saying on resigning "I'm going to think about it and talk with my teamates over the offseason"

Don't Stop Believin'...thanks to Backstrom and his Swede love for Journey.

Almost making an epic comeback in round 1 vs Philly despite not figuring out playoff hockey til game 4.

Game 6 was one of my favorite playoff games ever. Ovie down and out. Caps down 2-0. Insane passing play by Nick and Semin to close the gap. Semin tying it before intermission. Then ..we get called for a millionth penalty...kill it...Ovechkin stone cold turkey breakaway...can hear Joe Bs call from here. Then Ovie with the exclamation point on a bomb a bit later in the game.

We really had a fierce territorial edge in game 7. Biron was amazing. We deserved to keep that run going.

Good lord man, do you have a hard drive on your shoulders, or do you not drink or something... i barely remember what happened last month... lol... but seriously, that was the most fun season i've ever seen...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Good lord man, do you have a hard drive on your shoulders, or do you not drink or something... i barely remember what happened last month... lol... but seriously, that was the most fun season i've ever seen...

Yeah..I'm like a mix of Rain Man and Jason Bourne..I have an oddly specific memory.

I can tell you about the 3rd period in the last game of the 86-87 season where we were down 3-1 to NJ in an absolutely meaningless game and came back to win. Murphy scored 2 goals and was the 1st star....strange stuff like that.

I forget stuff that happened a week ago but random games from 20 years ago I can describe details.

There is no way I can watch a Caps playoff game without drinking these days.

Vladiator16*

Yeah..I'm like a mix of Rain Man and Jason Bourne..I have an oddly specific memory.

I can tell you about the 3rd period in the last game of the 86-87 season where we were down 3-1 to NJ in an absolutely meaningless game and came back to win. Murphy scored 2 goals and was the 1st star....strange stuff like that.

I forget stuff that happened a week ago but random games from 20 years ago I can describe details.

There is no way I can watch a Caps playoff game without drinking these days.

:laugh: Now i have a strange image of you... Dustin Hoffman in fatigues (even though i don't remember if Jason Bourne worn fatigues)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
:laugh: Now i have a strange image of you... Dustin Hoffman in fatigues (even though i don't remember if Jason Bourne worn fatigues)

Switch that to lounge pants, with a light beer in one hand and sitting on my recliner yellling at the TV when the Caps play and you're onto something.

You gave me an idea...I'm going to do another Old Timey flashback to share random game details because I'm old and like to recount stuff for the betterment of humanity...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
More rain man than Jason Bourne, I am sure. I've heard you say, "I'm a very good driver."

Probably. My secret agent skills suck. But...I'm a crappy driver and get lost in any city and thus mortified to go into one even if I have my GPS.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
if Peeters hadn't given up a goal from the corner, if Mason's skate didn't break, If they don't give Kolzig that ridiculous high sticking penalty, if Esa didn't miss the open net, If Ov scores on breakaway in game 7 v the Pens, if Ward doesn't get that high sticking penalty and so on. its cruel.

It's Friday for me as the markets are closed tomorrow, I have a sweet happy hour event tonight that I've been looking forward to for a month, I have a great weekend planned... and you just ruined my day. Thanks a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad