Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Capitals | 3/31/15 | 7:00 PM ET | Caps Win 4-2

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Not to mention that on Sunday Caps will be playing their sixth game in nine days with a slightly early start after having played the night before and ending a three-game road trip on top of it all. The remaining schedule is close to brutal. Tonight's win was huge.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Looks like the playoffs start a bit early this year. Those games against OTT and BOS are looming LARGE...

Vladiator16*

Historic game... Lucky fans... We've been privileged to see such a game beaker year after year, i hope it doesn't get pissed away...

The way #19 is playing right now im worried, but the new line combinations kind of masks it. This is the way we should line up in PO's... until it doesn't work :laugh:

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
How is Glencross playing? I've casually kept track of the box scores and he seems to be getting 4th line minutes. Kinda funny because he complained about being stuck on the 3rd line, 15 minute role in Calgary.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
How is Glencross playing? I've casually kept track of the box scores and he seems to be getting 4th line minutes. Kinda funny because he complained about being stuck on the 3rd line, 15 minute role in Calgary.

well right now, they tried to seperate ovechkin and backstrom and this cause glencross to be the guy to take the hit. not gonna change the lineup right now with 9 goals in two games

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Important points.

I like Kuz & Ovi, maybe not ready for elite opposition right now, but perhaps *soon*. Ward is skating hard with them, good for him to get a goal.

If this is the point when Trotz realizes "hmm, Ovi and Nick don't have to play together", it would be a miracle.

2nd line looks good on paper, "legit 2C!", lol. Do I have confidence that it can score? Nope :) It still is better than before, IMO, since overall I think the top 2 lines look more involved, active, than before -- more pressure on the opponents.

The obvious guy to try with Backstrom at this point would be Bura. Caps continue to desperately need a forward that help drive play in top-6, or at least snipe, unlike MJ, Brouwer, and (at least by salary) Laich.

Vladiator16*

Not to mention that on Sunday Caps will be playing their sixth game in nine days with a slightly early start after having played the night before and ending a three-game road trip on top of it all. The remaining schedule is close to brutal. Tonight's win was huge.

Aside from the play offs, this is the most exciting time of the year for me... every game matters... i love it. Do or die is the most fun in sports.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Was at the game tonight, was a lot of fun. Good to see the Caps rally in the second period. All in all, an amazing game to be at for obvious reasons. Not sure if it could be heard on TV, but after Ovi's goal the entire crowd was chanting "M-V-P, M-V-P"! Was a cool atmosphere.

Vladiator16*

Important points.

I like Kuz & Ovi, maybe not ready for elite opposition right now, but perhaps *soon*. Ward is skating hard with them, good for him to get a goal.

If this is the point when Trotz realizes "hmm, Ovi and Nick don't have to play together", it would be a miracle.

2nd line looks good on paper, "legit 2C!", lol. Do I have confidence that it can score? Nope :) It still is better than before, IMO, since overall I think the top 2 lines look more involved, active, than before -- more pressure on the opponents.

The obvious guy to try with Backstrom at this point would be Bura. Caps continue to desperately need a forward that help drive play in top-6, or at least snipe, unlike MJ, Brouwer, and (at least by salary) Laich.

Thats sort of how i feel... we are trying to fit square peg in a round hole, but... somehow its going in... so i guess we should stick with it...:laugh:

Vladiator16*

Was at the game tonight, was a lot of fun. Good to see the Caps rally in the second period. All in all, an amazing game to be at for obvious reasons. Not sure if it could be heard on TV, but after Ovi's goal the entire crowd was chanting "M-V-P, M-V-P"! Was a cool atmosphere.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Another HUGE win. They gutted it out.

Win the next two and they are all but assured of making the playoffs. :)

It'll be tough as they usually don't play well in Canada. Ovie likes playing in Montreal, though. :D

ryan519*

Oh we could hear it alright

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Would be nice to catch NYI/Pitt and draw the Wings in round 1 if that's even possible. I haven't bothered to learn the new seeding system.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Would be nice to catch NYI/Pitt and draw the Wings in round 1 if that's even possible. I haven't bothered to learn the new seeding system.

actually if we catch either of them, we will play the other

we would need to catch both to get home ice

my opinion is either would be a great draw for us :nod:

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Congratulations to Alex Ovechkin for No. 50! 6 50 Goal seasons - only 5 others have managed that, Keep the goals coming, Ovi! Awesome milestone. Also, an excellent play by Kuznetsov to set everything up.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Important points.

19 and 65 might have worked at times with 8 going bananas and allowing them to find space. But a line of 90-19-65 will melt like butter, imo.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
19 and 65 might have worked at times with 8 going bananas and allowing them to find space. But a line of 90-19-65 will melt like butter, imo.

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing MJ with Bura. Assuming Bura can play LW alright..

The all-Swede line.. what you are saying would be a concern -- but the biggest thing to me would be that they just didnt look great together in a brief stint earlier. Small sample, but I think Backstrom + Bura might need either a smart skilled linemate, or at least somebody power-forward-ish to keep the defense occupied near the net and on the boards. Brouwer can sort of do the latter, MJ can't seem to do either very well.

I dunno, potentially there are options.. what about GlenX-Backstrom-Bura, for example? Seems like a clear speed & skill upgrade over the current line.

Anyway, tbh, one bad game and I expect Trotz will turtle back to 8-19... hopefully not with 90, heh.

So it's more for next year probably, maybe he'll be more open to splitting up Ovi and Backstrom.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Man this years version of the Caps is a PUNISHING physical team. They have been mauling the opposition of late. We have 4 players in the top 31 in league leaders with hits and are a positive puck possession team doing this.

And alot of these hits are flat out painful and the pancake variety laid down by Ovie, Orpik and Wilson.

I guess I'm the only one excited about these last five games. I think the fellas show up and win three, at least.

We are going to dismember Montreal on Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad