Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Capitals | 3/31/15 | 7:00 PM ET | Caps Win 4-2

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our 3rd line was bound to score a few goals.

The timing is dead on perfect, as the playoffs near.

Hat tip for Barry to move past pairing Ovi Nick as the foundation of his entire lineup for the full year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Gleason-Green seems to also be finally meshing, and LW-Latta-Wilson is a very effective line in limited minutes.

Just need to get Backstrom out of his funk (or healthy).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Backstrom made 3 insanely good passes in a span of 5 minutes. Mojo flubbed 2 of them and Brouwer got robbed by Ward on the other.

Just going through a cold statistical streak here lately. He's fine.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Backstrom made 3 insanely good passes in a span of 5 minutes. Mojo flubbed 2 of them and Brouwer got robbed by Ward on the other.

Just going through a cold statistical streak here lately. He's fine.

I don't know about that. Something doesn't look right. I suspect he's got some nagging injury that's not severe enough to hold him out of games/practice.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe he's hurt. Has he missed any practices? Trotz would do that if he was dinged up a bit.

Personally I think its just an inevitable cold streak all players go through during a season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am fairly certain Nick is ailing. No one is calling it that, but he got demoted. Maybe rightfully so, injured or not. He could use a lighter workload. It's a long year, and we need 2 scoring line.

A token shout out to Speedy Pete. What a menace he was, to have his goal record only beaten by Ovi.

Where would we be without Ovi. Nice to break the record and hit fiddy in one fell swoop. I loved the blind backhand pass from Kuz. It wasn't perfect, but it didn't have to be, as he put some muscle on it, and it deflected right to.... the king. More often than not in hockey and in life, you just have to try.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Mojo was flying all over the place yesterday. Kid was on a mission.

wouldn't you if you had potentially as few as 5 or 9 games left to sell yourself for your next deal ?

you are right, he was flying today - he started particularly strong and played well throughout ... and that makes me like him even less given the timing

I don't think even a stellar series or 2 from Mojo in the playoffs would make me want to sign that $4.5m contract with term come season's end

trade him - Mojo lacks drive

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Nicky didn't get demoted. He still gets the same TOI. Ovi on the other hand has gotten 16 and 15 mins the last two games.

But I do agree, he looks off. Think he is still hurt.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I can't get excited for it.

For me, playoff hockey is the best thing in sports. So right now, I'm like a kid a week before Christmas. I just want the f'ing thing to start.

Christmas might last a bit longer if we get a better opponent in Round 1 ... now is mega important

I'm certainly not conceding to the Rags, but I would prefer to develop some momentum/belief in the playoffs against Pens or Isles before meeting the challenge the Rags provide

Vladiator16*

I can't get excited for it.

For me, playoff hockey is the best thing in sports. So right now, I'm like a kid a week before Christmas. I just want the f'ing thing to start.

I know what you mean... but teams trying to get to the big dance, fighting tooth and nail is just awesomeness too.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
of all our possible opponents, including the Habs and Bolts ... I'm extremely optimistic if we can get the Pens or Isles first up

some of our core have to be a little hesitant given recent playoff experience

let Trotz weave his magic and make the core believe versus the crap Pens which we all "know" we can beat

before we take on the Rags who we "think" we can beat

I put the Habs and Bolts somewhere above Pens and Isles, but below the Rags

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I know what you mean... but teams trying to get to the big dance, fighting tooth and nail is just awesomeness too.

True. Though in my older age its tough on the heart to watch the Caps play during this time of year. It really is.

But some of my fondest down the wire memories:

1. 87-88. We rally from a 2-0 3rd period hole to tie/beat the Flyers and get home ice in our first round matchup with them setting up Hunter's game 7 OT goal in DC. Gary Galley scored both goals in the 3rd for the tie. He got shoes thrown at him in the post game interview.

2. That year it was the Pens/Rags/Devils all tied going into the final day. Devs had tie breaker and rags 2nd. Pens played early afternoon and won! Then the Rangers won 3-0 against some team and MSG was going nuts since they bumped out Pens and claimed the spot. Devils were down in the 3rd to the Hawks and had to win. Tied the game late and then Cirella won it in OT before they even had to pull the goalie.

3. The next year the blackhawks were playing the leafs in the last game of the season for the final Norris spot. Hawks HAD to win..no tie. Down by 2 midway through the 3rd they rally to tie on Bob Bassens goal and Chicago stadium was going nuts. Loudest I've ever heard an arena at the time. Troy Murray stole the puck in OT (from Big Al), walked in alone and beat Wregget(?). Hawks made it to the WCF that year. Keenan was coach after being fired by Philly earlier that year. Roenick played down the stretch and was great in the playoffs in his first NHL action. Dejected Eddie O. was playing for the Leafs and actually had a great year for them.

4. THE NUMBER 1 ALL TIME FOR ME - 07-08 Caps. 2 back breaking losses over the weekend to Pitt and Boston. Vs Pitt we had the lead, blew it and Crosby scored on a Backstrom "own goal" with 30 secs left. Then We were up in Boston until the ref went nuts in the last 10- minutes and Bos spent rest of the game on the PP. Scored 2 5-3 goals to win...Jack Edwards.."TAKE THAT CAPS!"

We had to win out. Hurricanes were well ahead of us in the standings. Miracle win after win. Including crucial comeback in Tampa with Semin scoring late off a face off and Flash winning it in OT. Played last 3 at home. Big game vs Canes. MVP MVP when Ovie put the nail in the coffin.

Last weekend...Canes lose vs Florida despite outshooting Panthers like 50-20...helps that they had a 9-0 PP advantage. Panthers scored SH. After game Comcast anchors went nuts in the background. Next day we play FLA. Fedorov with the go ahead goal.

Amazing run that year.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
of all our possible opponents, including the Habs and Bolts ... I'm extremely optimistic if we can get the Pens or Isles first up

some of our core have to be a little hesitant given recent playoff experience

let Trotz weave his magic and make the core believe versus the crap Pens which we all "know" we can beat

before we take on the Rags who we "think" we can beat

I put the Habs and Bolts somewhere above Pens and Isles, but below the Rags

If they are going to win a cup you can't worry about this stuff. Beat them all.

But personally I want the Pens. Would love nothing more than to eliminate them.

Vladiator16*

True. Though in my older age its tough on the heart to watch the Caps play during this time of year. It really is.

But some of my fondest down the wire memories:

1. 87-88. We rally from a 2-0 3rd period hole to tie/beat the Flyers and get home ice in our first round matchup with them setting up Hunter's game 7 OT goal in DC. Gary Galley scored both goals in the 3rd for the tie. He got shoes thrown at him in the post game interview.

2. That year it was the Pens/Rags/Devils all tied going into the final day. Devs had tie breaker and rags 2nd. Pens played early afternoon and won! Then the Rangers won 3-0 against some team and MSG was going nuts since they bumped out Pens and claimed the spot. Devils were down in the 3rd to the Hawks and had to win. Tied the game late and then Cirella won it in OT before they even had to pull the goalie.

3. The next year the blackhawks were playing the leafs in the last game of the season for the final Norris spot. Hawks HAD to win..no tie. Down by 2 midway through the 3rd they rally to tie on Bob Bassens goal and Chicago stadium was going nuts. Loudest I've ever heard an arena at the time. Troy Murray stole the puck in OT (from Big Al), walked in alone and beat Wregget(?). Hawks made it to the WCF that year. Keenan was coach after being fired by Philly earlier that year. Roenick played down the stretch and was great in the playoffs in his first NHL action. Dejected Eddie O. was playing for the Leafs and actually had a great year for them.

4. THE NUMBER 1 ALL TIME FOR ME - 07-08 Caps. 2 back breaking losses over the weekend to Pitt and Boston. Vs Pitt we had the lead, blew it and Crosby scored on a Backstrom "own goal" with 30 secs left. Then We were up in Boston until the ref went nuts in the last 10- minutes and Bos spent rest of the game on the PP. Scored 2 5-3 goals to win...Jack Edwards.."TAKE THAT CAPS!"

We had to win out. Hurricanes were well ahead of us in the standings. Miracle win after win. Including crucial comeback in Tampa with Semin scoring late off a face off and Flash winning it in OT. Played last 3 at home. Big game vs Canes. MVP MVP when Ovie put the nail in the coffin.

Last weekend...Canes lose vs Florida despite outshooting Panthers like 50-20...helps that they had a 9-0 PP advantage. Panthers scored SH. After game Comcast anchors went nuts in the background. Next day we play FLA. Fedorov with the go ahead goal.

Amazing run that year.

1, 2, 3 was before my time (i didn't start following NHL till 92-93), but your #4 is awesome... that season got my wife into hockey too... what an incredible and improbable run that was...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
1, 2, 3 was before my time (i didn't start following NHL till 92-93), but your #4 is awesome... that season got my wife into hockey too... what an incredible and improbable run that was...

Right on Vlad!

That was awesome and no words can do it justice. What a run!! Young guns coming to age, Boudreau jumping up and down on the bed when he got the job, last place as of Thanksgiving.

Ovie's 4 goal game vs Ottawa "Can you stop this guy! CAN YOU STOP THIS GUY!" haha...then sweet 4 goal broken nose game vs Montreal after we blew the lead late and he got his 4th in OT..of a Schultz assist.

Fedorov getting traded here and going "meh...(I thought I would be going to a REAL team like Detroit!)" then instantly being won over and saying on resigning "I'm going to think about it and talk with my teamates over the offseason"

Don't Stop Believin'...thanks to Backstrom and his Swede love for Journey.

Almost making an epic comeback in round 1 vs Philly despite not figuring out playoff hockey til game 4.

Game 6 was one of my favorite playoff games ever. Ovie down and out. Caps down 2-0. Insane passing play by Nick and Semin to close the gap. Semin tying it before intermission. Then ..we get called for a millionth penalty...kill it...Ovechkin stone cold turkey breakaway...can hear Joe Bs call from here. Then Ovie with the exclamation point on a bomb a bit later in the game.

We really had a fierce territorial edge in game 7. Biron was amazing. We deserved to keep that run going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad