Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes 4, Penguins 0 - Throw the Damn Towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's had some clean looks but has missed the net a few times too. And he plays a different game than Sheary...not even sure why you're comparing the two. He's also noticeably stronger than Sheary is, which is definitely something this team can use. Hopefully Sid will give him some pointers on board play that will help him.

Sprong is getting in great spots to shoot. His linemates are not getting it to him enough. He is built for a great play making centre.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's had some clean looks but has missed the net a few times too. And he plays a different game than Sheary...not even sure why you're comparing the two. He's also noticeably stronger than Sheary is, which is definitely something this team can use. Hopefully Sid will give him some pointers on board play that will help him.

I guess my thing with Sprong is our window for sure fire contention is likely three years. Does Sprong help that or is it better to solve his issue with us when we can potentially put Kessel, Rust, Sheary down the right?

He still looks like a work in progress, and I see a player that is fine, but if you can move him for a player under contract for the next two years that solves a center or defense issue, you do it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I respectfully disagree, especially since Kessel has had a very good year on the whole and Malkin's about holding steady despite he and Kessel not really having any chemistry. Our problems are not unfixable, at least in terms of getting back into playoff position.

Get a 3C who can exploit Kessel and justify moving Sprong up with Geno, and then we have something to work with.

It can make a big difference, but they are running out of time and it still won't be a major difference maker if the team doesn't start playing better.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Hockey trades if they make sense long term. No rentals. No desperation moves. Accept this isn't our year, get some rest in the offseason and come back ready to roll for 2018-2019. Even the Oilers didn't win 3 in a row.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sid and Letang aren't the only problems, but they are getting paid the most. And I do think when you make the big bucks more is expected. There is a lot of blame to go around to be sure, but at the same time we absolutely have no chance unless these two return to their customary level of play. Relative to their talent and skill level they way way below their customary level. More so than anyone else.

Geno and Phil together have only put up 39 points at ES in a combined 80 games. At a $17.5 million dollar cap hit, that duo (who play together 90% of the time) shouldn't be getting a pass either.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Geno and Phil together have only put up 39 points at ES in a combined 80 games. At a $17.5 million dollar cap hit, that duo (who play together 90% of the time) shouldn't be getting a pass either.

They are producing at a decent clip, PP or not. Can they be better? Sure, But Sid and Letang are really far below even very reasonable expectations

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agree in part, but there's really two problems:
One is the D feeding the transition game, as you note. That's problem one for playing the style Sully wants them to play. No trade is going to help this unless we swap out two or three D men, which won't happen
But problem two is that teams are attempting to thwart Sully' style against the top two lines by a neutral zone type trap that is forcing them to play dump and chase like Ottawa did in the playoffs. That's what Sully is alluding to. However, teams know we don't have the players to be consistently successful at that type of play because we lack good board work and physical forechecking for the most part. A LW with jam and a better offensive center would help with this, but is it enough given the state of our D--expensive but not playing well? I don't think it is. We should just be positioning ourselves for better runs in 2018-19, 19-20 IMO
you are absolutely correct, but their dum and chase is a joke, especially the second line, I mean, geno and Phil, dump and chase?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Penguins look like a bad hockey team right now

After Thursday’s loss they will need 52 points in their final 40 games to reach 95 points, usually the low point for what it takes to get a playoff spot. That is a .650 points percentage. Their current points percentage on the season: .511.

Just to reiterate; Things are very bad. This isn't a wait and see issue anymore. This team is in serious danger of missing the playoffs and the issues are not ones that just go away on their own. JR is going to need to put in serious, serious work over the next couple of months to fix things so that we can simply make the playoffs--let alone go on another deep run.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Our new playoffs avatar.

I+surrender+_7101b6_11484.jpg

Reactions: Giskard

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
split them up and turn those 39 points into 78 or something like that

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
the one full glass thoughts:
If we were to make playoffs this year, we will roll into the playoffs like a boss, I mean to make the playoffs we have to be on a pace foe something like 118 points....

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One thing I really don't want to see is to give up young players or high draft picks. I'm hoping the mindset has shifted a bit, possibly even to sell certain guys. I doubt they take that approach but this team has too many issues IMO to recover for anything more than a possible token playoff run. Even a big shake up may not change our fortune. Particularly if Sid or KL continue on their current path.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Penguins look like a bad hockey team right now

Just to reiterate; Things are very bad. This isn't a wait and see issue anymore. This team is in serious danger of missing the playoffs and the issues are not ones that just go away on their own. JR is going to need to put in serious, serious work over the next couple of months to fix things so that we can simply make the playoffs--let alone go on another deep run.

Typos aside, this is a good piece. One important point on depth:

A year ago when the Penguins did not get a goal from Crosby or Malkin in a game (whether because one or both was out of the lineup, or because they simply did not score) the Penguins still had a .466 points percentage and averaged 2.5 goals per game. Certainly not dominant, but still somewhat passable considering how important those two players are.

So far this season when neither Crosby or Malkin score the Penguins have a .333 points percentage and are averaging only 1.9 goals per game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And let’s be honest about Sprong. He may be NHL ready, but dude is not putting up 20.

Has he even put himself in line for a clean look?

Huge, huge difference between him and even Sheary when he came up. Feel like the best route would be to honestly move him as he isn’t a necessity for this team and unless you slate him in our top six in the next two years, what is the point?

This post can't be serious...

Sprong has had a number of great looks since he came up, and comparing him to Sheary?

Dude had 3 points in his first 18 games.

People just completely lose their minds and give up on players and the team around here so often it's honestly pathetic.

To be frank, I would hate to have shared a bench with a majority of posters on this board and the quitters attitude that pervades around here.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It can make a big difference, but they are running out of time and it still won't be a major difference maker if the team doesn't start playing better.

Absolutely. But my mindset is that we're in a rare 3-peat position right now, and I'd feel a whole lot better about going down swinging by making a significant addition to see if it sparks the team than simply packing it in without trying anything like some run-of-the-mill bubble team who's out of playoff position at the halfway mark.

We know what this core is capable of, and we know that it has gone from listless to energized and determined after a few key trades before. But it has to be the right addition(s) and it has to happen right away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This post can't be serious...

Sprong has had a number of great looks since he came up, and comparing him to Sheary?

Dude had 3 points in his first 18 games.

People just completely lose their minds and give up on players and the team around here so often it's honestly pathetic.

To be frank, I would hate to have shared a bench with a majority of posters on this board and the quitters attitude that pervades around here.

I’m just saying there should be absolutely no reason Sprong is untouchable outside of people liking his shot. If he brings a legitimate top six option back with term. Move him.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’m just saying there should be absolutely no reason Sprong is untouchable outside of people liking his shot. If he brings a legitimate top six option back with term. Move him.

Cheap young talent is important though so it would depend on cap of player brought back and other parts. I agree that Sprong isn't untouchable though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Absolutely. But my mindset is that we're in a rare 3-peat position right now, and I'd feel a whole lot better about going down swinging by making a significant addition to see if it sparks the team than simply packing it in without trying anything like some run-of-the-mill bubble team who's out of playoff position at the halfway mark.

We know what this core is capable of, and we know that it has gone from listless to energized and determined after a few key trades before. But it has to be the right addition(s) and it has to happen right away.

I agree as long as the move is for a player or players with term or RFA status. JR can add a deadline rental to round out the team if they go on a run, but no major moves for rentals.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Sprong is pennies on the dollar right now as I keep trying to convey, but so many people just seem to have trouble understanding asset mgmt around here.

You aren't getting a legit top six guy for him, he's a sweetener, which means other significant assets will have to be used.

That's exactly how you close your window, because there is nothing left after he's gone.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sprong is pennies on the dollar right now as I keep trying to convey, but so many people just seem to have trouble understanding asset mgmt around here.

You aren't getting a legit top six guy for him, he's a sweetener, which means other significant assets will have to be used.

That's exactly how you close your window, because there is nothing left after he's gone.

Daniel Sprong is not the difference between our window being open or not. He’s a third wheel on a top six line that has a killer shot.

Would you not move him with a first and Hags as a dump for a player like Hoffman or Patches?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I agree as long as the move is for a player or players with term or RFA status. JR can add a deadline rental to round out the team if they go on a run, but no major moves for rentals.

I'm not so picky haha. I just want us to give this season everything we can so long as we don't totally mortgage the future. The Pens could accomplish this year what hasn't happened since the early '80s. Gretzky's Oilers and Mario's Pens couldn't do it. We could.

I know you know this stuff, I'm just laying it out for emphasis.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Did you even watch the game last night? How can you even remotely blame Murray for that game last night? With Murray playing bad, that's a 6-0 or 7-0 game. They would have been slaughtered if Murray was playing as bad as you say he is.

His save percentage is .902, and his GAA is 2.97. I don't care how bad the team is in front of him. Those are horrific numbers. He's not the only problem. He's not the worst problem. But he's a problem. He's not Letang bad this season, but I'd certainly argue that he's been Crosby bad. Has he stolen one game all season? How many four goal games has he had? If Fleury was putting up these numbers, we'd want his head on a spike. Murray is getting way too much of a free pass.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
His save percentage is .902, and his GAA is 2.97. I don't care how bad the team is in front of him. Those are horrific numbers. He's not the only problem. He's not the worst problem. But he's a problem. He's not Letang bad this season, but I'd certainly argue that he's been Crosby bad. Has he stolen one game all season? How many four goal games has he had? If Fleury was putting up these numbers, we'd want his head on a spike. Murray is getting way too much of a free pass.
here we go again with the goalie discussion: I thought we settle this thing with Flower: You are what your numbers are, everything else is pure fanboy talk...If you are good you can't be for along strech under 920 No way no how, you can have small variation, but with the larger sample it must average 920. end of story.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad