Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes 4, Penguins 0 - Throw the Damn Towel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Daniel Sprong is not the difference between our window being open or not. He’s a third wheel on a top six line that has a killer shot.

Would you not move him with a first and Hags as a dump for a player like Hoffman or Patches?

Hoffman and Patches are both having shitty seasons, and Patches has been a playoff bust most of his career.

So how exactly do you know what Sprong is if you move him before he's even played half a season of NHL hockey?

Two years ago people were casually tossing Guentzel in trades for third liners.

I know for sure last season people wanted to throw Guentzel away along with other significant assets to land Duchene. Given how things went with Guentzel and how Duchene looks like with Ott and the ransom they gave up for him... probably would have been a bad idea.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Daniel Sprong is not the difference between our window being open or not. He’s a third wheel on a top six line that has a killer shot.

Would you not move him with a first and Hags as a dump for a player like Hoffman or Patches?

I don't know how you can peg him so early. So basically he is Petr Sykora or Kris Versteeg? Maybe, maybe not. I have a weird feeling that if a puck went in off his shin guard last night you wouldn't be nearly as low on him.

Regardless, the idea of trading futures actually makes me a little ill at this stage.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Reading your post in regards to Sprong nearly made me angry. Sprong spits hot fire and he is close to bursting multiple goals.

SWAG

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reading your post in regards to Sprong nearly made me angry. Sprong spits hot fire and he is close to bursting multiple goals.

SWAG

I'm a big Sprong fan, but it's not worth looking through homer glasses. He hasn't been all that dangerous. But he's a kid becoming an NHLer. I want to see where he is after 30+ games.

As a pure sniper he's had some great chances and the shots went about 40 feet too high. :laugh: Just calling a spade a spade.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm a big Sprong fan, but it's not worth looking through homer glasses. He hasn't been all that dangerous. But he's a kid becoming an NHLer. I want to see where he is after 30+ games.

As a pure sniper he's had some great chances and the shots went about 40 feet too high. :laugh: Just calling a spade a spade.

You may want to watch a tad closer. He snapped off a shot last night quicker than I have seen anyone in a long while. The D man was all over him he still got the shot off and on net with power. I wish I had the clip to refer to.

I'm not worried about scoring since I blame the current state of the NHL rather than him for his lack of production through 2 games. The goalies are so big, even the elite of the elite scorers are going to go through long droughts in today's NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have genuinely no idea how anyone can be upset with Sprong so far. Absolutely no clue. He has done everything extremely well minus score goals, which has been a team problem. I swear, people have their minds made up about certain things and just keep repeating them over and over again, despite being completely wrong.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I have genuinely no idea how anyone can be upset with Sprong so far. Absolutely no clue. He has done everything extremely well minus score goals, which has been a team problem. I swear, people have their minds made up about certain things and just keep repeating them over and over again, despite being completely wrong.

Are you kidding me??? It's been two games! The verdict is in baby!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Don't understand the Sprong criticism either. Dude's been in position to score more than many of our tenured, high-caliber vets. He's been one of the best guys on this team offensively since coming up, he just hasn't finished. This isn't a situation like Sid where he's simply coasting around and refusing to shoot. Sprong's been a threat nearly every time he's touched the ice. Happy with his performance, and entirely confident the production will soon follow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You may want to watch a tad closer. He snapped off a shot last night quicker than I have seen anyone in a long while. The D man was all over him he still got the shot off and on net with power. I wish I had the clip to refer to.

I'm not worried about scoring since I blame the current state of the NHL rather than him for his lack of production through 2 games. The goalies are so big, even the elite of the elite scorers are going to go through long droughts in today's NHL.

There is technical stuff he's doing and assignment related stuff I want to see get better, but he's generated a number of really good chances for himself without much help.

Last night in the second period he had a point blank chance when he was standing on the near side post, then had a great shift at the end of the period where he took the puck to the net and just missed short side, and then got a great look in the slot and Letang came out of nowhere to block it.

He's had more shots than Crosby and Malkin combined since he came up, so he must be doing something right.

Reactions: td_ice

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not so picky haha. I just want us to give this season everything we can so long as we don't totally mortgage the future. The Pens could accomplish this year what hasn't happened since the early '80s. Gretzky's Oilers and Mario's Pens couldn't do it. We could.

I know you know this stuff, I'm just laying it out for emphasis.

That's where we diverge. I used to be in that camp, but they are just too bad right now for me to believe adding Bozak and Kane (all in on rental example), while giving up significant assets scares me unless Kane signs an extension. I know you don't like Kane, but that was just a hypothetical scenario.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's where we diverge. I used to be in that camp, but they are just too bad right now for me to believe adding Bozak and Kane (all in on rental example), while giving up significant assets scares me unless Kane signs an extension. I know you don't like Kane, but that was just a hypothetical scenario.

Yeah, if you replace Kane with say...Patches then I'd be down without question. I'd give up a fair amount of futures for Bozak and Pacioretty because I think they'd help a lot of what ails this team and help compensate for our superstars' shortcomings this year.

I understand being disappointed in how we've performed so far and worrying that it might all be for naught, but I'd rather go down swinging this year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

In terms of release, he doesn't have a faster release than Kessel. So you've seen faster releases. Hossa actually had a very underrated release. Remember shot/release are 2 different things.

Nonetheless - why do people have such a hard time just calling a spade a spade? I've actually liked the way Sprong supports our defense down low. I like that he is a shooter. Rest of his game has been meh, but he is what he is. Get him on a line where he's the shooter with like a Jake/Sid and let him float the f*** around for awhile. He'll snipe some off.

He should work on his abilities to find the soft zone. One thing Kunitz was very good at.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, if you replace Kane with say...Patches then I'd be down without question. I'd give up a fair amount of futures for Bozak and Pacioretty because I think they'd help a lot of what ails this team and help compensate for our superstars' shortcomings this year.

I understand being disappointed in how we've performed so far and worrying that it might all be for naught, but I'd rather go down swinging this year.

Patches has 1 year left so sign me up for that. I want some reassurance that if we flame out this year, JR didn't deplete his resources to build for next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
In terms of release, he doesn't have a faster release than Kessel. So you've seen faster releases. Hossa actually had a very underrated release. Remember shot/release are 2 different things.

Nonetheless - why do people have such a hard time just calling a spade a spade? I've actually liked the way Sprong supports our defense down low. I like that he is a shooter. Rest of his game has been meh, but he is what he is. Get him on a line where he's the shooter with like a Jake/Sid and let him float the **** around for awhile. He'll snipe some off.

He should work on his abilities to find the soft zone. One thing Kunitz was very good at.

Yup. Finding soft spots in the AHL and NHL is likely different. You just have less time and space, so it's something he will learn. His best opportunity would have been that pass from Sheahan to Sprong that just slipt past his stick. I see him scoring a lot of those once he learns where to go and has a center that can consistently get him the puck there. That's why I'd like Geno with him, but I'm not going to complain too much yet.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it seems as though some are expecting sprong to come in and play like geno in god mode. he's not that kind of player. he needs a set up man. and he hasn't played with one yet. remember when neal first got here? he didn't get to play with sid or geno and look poor. finally he was put with geno and he took off.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t think it is a criticism to say Sprong on this team is going to be a support player. He isn’t getting first power play time with Sid, Malkin, Kessel and Jake. He is going to be the third winger on a line if you put Jake with Crosby and Malkin with Kessel. He is playing the RW where if we resign him we have all of Rust, Kessel and Hornqvist.

He’s been fine, but he’s having glimpses.

If we can turn those glimpses into a sure fire 30 goal guy now. It suits us. And it helps us hang on to Sheary, Jake, and Rust.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Patches has 1 year left so sign me up for that. I want some reassurance that if we flame out this year, JR didn't deplete his resources to build for next year.

That extra year's nice, for sure. But even if it's just UFA Bozak, I wouldn't balk at sending a package involving a 1st and Cole for him. I think we need an offensive center to help our depth that badly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That extra year's nice, for sure. But even if it's just UFA Bozak, I wouldn't balk at sending a package involving a 1st and Cole for him. I think we need an offensive center to help our depth that badly.

Yikes no thanks unless you plan to re-sign him. We aren't a Bozak away from making the playoffs right now. We need a LOT of help.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yikes no thanks unless you plan to re-sign him. We aren't a Bozak away from making the playoffs right now. We need a LOT of help.

Malkin-Sprong
Bozak-Kessel

I think that can open up a lot of positives and help a lot of what's hurting us at ES.

Not a panacea, but a keystone move that can get things going in the right direction.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Yeah maybe it's best to just let the waves of mediocrity wash over us the rest of this year as some are saying. Just let it happen, and starting setting up some dominoes that will pay off by next season. Maybe we make one nice deal that no one has much problem with, but in and of itself I don't see it being enough either. So you make a couple more deals and before you know if we're out a few picks/players/prospects due to a half-hearted reshaping effort.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
His best opportunity would have been that pass from Sheahan to Sprong that just slipt past his stick.

He was in the perfect spot though. Sheahan's pass got slightly deflected which put it just out of reach, but it was only detectable once you watched the replay a couple of times.

it seems as though some are expecting sprong to come in and play like geno in god mode. he's not that kind of player. he needs a set up man. and he hasn't played with one yet. remember when neal first got here? he didn't get to play with sid or geno and look poor. finally he was put with geno and he took off.

Ya, people said Neal was a bust because he wasn't scoring goals that first season with the Pens after the trade. I remember having to defend him constantly to the point it was getting nauseating.

Sprong doesn't need someone to constantly feed him pucks like Neal, but it doesn't hurt to have a great setup guy, especially when he's adjusting to the NHL.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I'm of the opinion that as long as we don't sell off our young talent or high draft picks, I'm ok with other more modest moves. They probably won't be anything exciting but at this point that might be a good thing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It seems a fair number of people are giving up on this team right now.

I understand the discouragement, but we haven't made one major deal this year - the deal we all knew we had to make. I'm surprised to see veteran posters fold up their tents before we even see that through.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It seems a fair number of posters are giving up on this team right now.

I'm not giving up on them in the long run, but short term it really isn't looking promising. This season this team has given us little indication they can rise above mediocrity. The evidence is rather overwhelming actually.

I just hope whatever moves they make aren't shortsighted. We'd still have a nice group of players moving beyond this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad