Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes 4, Penguins 0 - The Jack Johnson Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol 23 shots on goal on McElhinney haha ha

f*** off with any "don't be negative" posts

Thrash team plays as trash

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The best thing about reading about this game and not watching it is that the Sully line shuffling was super f***ing predictable and that he thinks that's the issue when the team is absolute ass in games like this.

Juggle lines.

That's like dropping a jar of pickles and the bottle is shattered and you're still trying to scoop the f***ing juice and pickles back up into the jar. The jar isn't the issue, bucko.

Also...Johnson is terrible at hockey. He makes me pine for Josef Melichar after multiple shoulder surgeries.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought the Canes might lose their legs in the 2nd or 3rd. They didn't.

And once again, neither the coaching staff, nor players had an answer for another speedy, tenacious team.

It's getting old.

That's what happens when you construct a defense like ours.

Broken record, but this is why I still say JR needs to focus on adding a top four defender before the deadline. The forward group has enough fire power that blowing assets on another top end forward makes no sense when you've got a defense like ours.

Frankly, it's idiotic that a team with Cup aspirations has a defense corps that's this mediocre after the top pairing.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's what happens when you construct a defense like ours.

Broken record, but this is why I still say JR needs to focus on adding a top four defender before the deadline. The forward group has enough fire power that blowing assets on another top end forward makes no sense when you've got a defense like ours.

Frankly, it's idiotic that a team with Cup aspirations has a defense corps that's this mediocre after the top pairing.
They also need a player who can consistently pressure the other team on the forecheck. Someone like Dupuis or Hagelin

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I know right. It is almost like there isn't 58 points left to fight over out there being in 3rd in the metro.
Pens are toast.
thats a really optimistic way of looking at things considering we are only 4p ahead of Buffalo who has 1 game in hand as well...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
thats a really optimistic way of looking at things considering we are only 4p ahead of Buffalo who has 1 game in hand as well...

I think the one positive (if you can call it that) of teams like Buffalo and Carolina closing the gap on the Pens is it forces JR to take a long and hard look at his club, because if he doesn't it could mean missing the playoffs. If the Pens had a 10-point cushion or something, JR might be content with what we've got right now and not upgrade.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Lol 23 shots on goal on McElhinney haha ha

**** off with any "don't be negative" posts

Thrash team plays as trash
Nah. Yeah this team plays like total shit.
But I look at it like the toilet bowl game, Patriots jerked the funny chain on the Rams. It had nothing to do with the players. Did you watch the games? The bowl was like a carbon copy, expect the penguins had owned the first period.

After that, every single place the puck went there was Carolina jumping the penguins backs. It was so hard to watch, but yet super impressive. I don't know if I seen a team obliterate the penguins like that before and not trap.

Penguins folded into their head-space cry me a blizzard snowflake mentality after the first period, but you saw the futility when they started shooting from impossible angles to just get one f***ing chance, any f***ing chance, in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period.

They were out classed hard. Could have been 1-0 all game, penguins would still have been out classed and embarrassed.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Go a few pages back in the Off-day Thread.

We detailed how this team DOES NOT comeback in games anymore.

Predictable loss after ending first period behind. Fully achieved conclusion by the end of the second.

That quote from Letang shows it. They give the game up if they aren't ahead due to luck...

And it sure as shit IS effort. Maybe not eveene expenditure. I'm sure they are skating as hard as possible. But their effort level of 100% does not outplay anyone. There is also a lack of effort to passing, positioning, general support. The game is 4-0. After a game where they let the lead evaporate. That's a lack of effort to the speed and fundamentals.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Go a few pages back in the Offday Thread.

We detailed how this team DOES not comeback in games anymore.

Predictable loss after ending first period behind. Fully achieved conclusion by the end of the second.

That quote from Letang shows it. They give the game up if they aren't ahead due to luck.

I thought that the penguins lose more when scoring first? Is there no middle ground!

That second period was some seriously hard to watch hockey on the penguins end. Carolina is not olympic gold medal canada.

Reactions: EightyOne

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Very frustrating. I have a couple of thoughts on things that have been bothering me this season.

I share the concerns about the defense especially regarding puck movement but I'm also starting to wonder if the coaching staff is exacerbating the problem. It seems like the D are being told to play more of a possession game. We used to look to move the puck up as quickly as possible and let our forwards use their talent to make the best of the pass/chip/flip. Now it's like they're being coached to possess it instead. There is a lot more curling back, D to D, and set breakouts. The opposition is getting set in the NZ, forecheckers are getting in on the puck, and our D is now forced to use their average puck moving skill against a prepared opposition rather than against flatfooted or out of position players. And they're being exposed. Our strength is our forward group and every minute we spend in our end playing bad news bears, it saps our momentum/pressure because we aren't attacking and wearing them down.

The other thing is... For the love of God, make the opposition have to work to get up ice! Our forecheck is ineffective, we look like we're on a free skate in the NZ as they cut through us, and when we lose possession in the OZ we seem to just accept it. Where's the fight? The back pressure? We used to sustain pressure for extended shifts because the D were very active. They were very active because there were always forwards skating high ready to cover. Now often instead of a D aggressively pinching and a forward(s) aggressively skating up ice to cover, we have F's down low hoping and nervous flatfooted D at the blueline. No 5 man units, no layers. Our identity is being easy to play against.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from the Cup teams.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah. We're spoiled because teams with about equal to or even slightly worse personnel managed to deliver a better product.
instant-regret-thatll-have-you-cringing-in-your-boots-5.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So basically as soon as the other team scores to go ahead in the 1st period, the rest of the game is basically hopeless. That's reassuring to hear how mentally fragile you guys are, Kris.
Kind of the dressing room and coaching staff all season and most of last season.

Remember when this team had a never give-up attitude? Feels like years ago, doesn't it? In the back 2 back cups, the team had no quit in them. A team could score 4-0 by the end of the 2nd and the Pens would win 5-4. It happened a lot, almost to the point where there was a ridiculous stat about how good the Pens were at it.

Now? A team can score 1 in the first and we're f***ed. It's not a defense thing. The problem is that people are actively searching to blame the defense or a star player not scoring. The coaching staff does it themselves, oh we suck? Must be the combination of players!

How about...it's not just the players.

History has shown, with this team, it's never just the players.

Fire a coach? Win a cup.
Fire a coach? Win a cup...

Should we fire a coach? No, but it's clear, this team has issues with coaching and the Pens have bred that themselves. We've seen a lot of assistant coaches go on and be coaches in the league, but then the team replaces them with crap and the head coaches we have, suddenly stagnate and the team stops evolving its system and everyone is scrambling to find their scapegoat - Whether it's the obviously terrible Jack Johnson or it's Malkin is broken (might be true) or Kessel sucks now, or Letang, or Murray, etc....etc.

Oh but to question that, brings on some ridiculous notion which is then spurs the "BUT WE WON BACK TO BACK CUPS!"

Recentism is fun until it's not so recent anymore.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Kind of the dressing room and coaching staff all season and most of last season.

Remember when this team had a never give-up attitude? Feels like years ago, doesn't it? In the back 2 back cups, the team had no quit in them. A team could score 4-0 by the end of the 2nd and the Pens would win 5-4. It happened a lot, almost to the point where there was a ridiculous stat about how good the Pens were at it.

Now? A team can score 1 in the first and we're ****ed. It's not a defense thing. The problem is that people are actively searching to blame the defense or a star player not scoring. The coaching staff does it themselves, oh we suck? Must be the combination of players!

Fire a coach? Win a cup.

Should we fire a coach? No, but it's clear, this team has issues with coaching and the Pens have bred that themselves. We've seen a lot of assistant coaches go on and be coaches in the league, but then the team replaces them with crap and the head coaches we have, suddenly stagnate and the team stops evolving its system and everyone is scrambling to find their scapegoat - Whether it's the obviously terrible Jack Johnson or it's Malkin is broken (might be true) or Kessel sucks now, or Letang, or Murray, etc....etc.

Oh but to question that, brings on some ridiculous notion which is then spurs the "BUT WE WON BACK TO BACK CUPS!"

We going back to the 'cardiac kids' days? Don't make me blush at good time hockey.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Now? A team can score 1 in the first and we're ****ed. It's not a defense thing. The problem is that people are actively searching to blame the defense or a star player not scoring. The coaching staff does it themselves, oh we suck? Must be the combination of players!

Fire a coach? Win a cup.

I don't have the numbers, so it could be 100% just my perception, but it does seem like this team rarely comes back to win games even if they're only down by 1 or 2 goals anymore.

When we had that turnaround after Sullivan took over leading up to the 2016 Cup run, it seemed like one of the key traits was the team just wouldn't go away. It could be down 2-0 going into the 3rd and would claw its way back. Now, it seems like if the team goes down 2-0 after 1 period let alone after 2 periods, it's pretty much game over.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't have the numbers, so it could be 100% just my perception, but it does seem like this team rarely comes back to win games even if they're only down by 1 or 2 goals anymore.

When we had that turnaround after Sullivan took over leading up to the 2016 Cup run, it seemed like one of the key traits was the team just wouldn't go away. It could be down 2-0 going into the 3rd and would claw its way back. Now, it seems like if the team goes down 2-0 after 1 period let alone after 2 periods, it's pretty much game over.
Pretty sure 'the cardiac kids' were pre-2009 and just refused to lose a game after trailing.
I'd love to see an actual stat on that...
Of course that was hay-day sid stuff. You would have to have for the 3rd coming of christ to see that kind of magic again.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Yup. You never felt like they were out of a game with that team.

This team doesn't have the will or the confidence to do that.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Even though I began to feel like this last year here and there....call me crazy but this season is probably the first full season in over a decade where overall I just don’t/can’t bring myself emotionally to give a f***.

Something about the roster over the last year and a bit....I dunno. We don’t feel like a team. We have zero passion, no heart, no fight, or zero “never say die” attitude.

Feels like we’ve all just mailed it in.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
It feels like they're going back to that span after 2009 where they just got kind of lazy and arrogant and content with their recent success. I get that there are some roster deficiencies but there are teams that do more with less, or at least try.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad