Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes 4, Penguins 0 - The Jack Johnson Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
while I do agree that if you put up 0 goals you can't put all that much blame on the goalie. I will just throw this out there. When a team doesn't believe in it's goalie they either don't try, or they over try (see the early part of the season). I have no idea if that is what happened last night. But I'm just saying how you can put some blame on the goalie because the team plays differently in front of him.

That said let's get real here, we put 2 pucks through the opposing goalies wickets, out the other side but not in the net. He was good but he some good puck luck as well. We put one of those in and Murray makes a routine glove save and we are at least going to OT, and more likely we get some wind in our sails and just win it in the 3rd.

It is a bit deflating though from a fan's perspective. On the other hand you see Vegas-Tampa last night, Vegas goes down by 2 and they just keep coming and end up winning in a shoot out. I remember when we would do that, good times...

Yeah I feel like there is some intellectual dishonesty here. I specifically recall, and I know because I argued this as well, when Fleury was letting in shitty first period goals many people arguing how deflating it is for a team and blaming Fleury (rightly IMO). Now Murray does similar and it's "you can't blame the goalie when the team doesn't score".

This isn't me saying Murray is playing as bad as WTF Fleury (and admittedly I didn't watch the game last night), but giving Murray a pass when he has a mediocre to poor game just because the team doesn't score seems inconsistent at best.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Our schedule sucks. Playing Florida on Thursday which should be winnable at least but then Tampa after that.

If we blow that Florida game we might be out of a playoff spot by this weekend.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our schedule sucks. Playing Florida on Thursday which should be winnable at least but then Tampa after that.

There’s going to be a dogfight for third place in the Metro and the final WC spot...despite going on a lengthy losing streak, CLB, after winning last night, is only one point behind the Pens with a game in hand...with CAR, BUF and Philly, Pens better get off the schneid

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There’s going to be a dogfight for third place in the Metro and the final WC spot...despite going on a lengthy losing streak, CLB, after winning last night, is only one point behind the Pens with a game in hand...with CAR, BUF and Philly, Pens better get off the schneid

I think we will ultimately make it but this team is scaring me. I'm no longer certain they're going to. They're playing so inconsistently in every way that missing seems not out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Andy99

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And again, the Penguins didn't score tonight. To complain about goaltending in a game where they literally couldn't get a goal is just stupid. The game was 2-0 before the empty net goal, to complain that Murray "sucked" and "should be owning his own game" is a horrible stance to have.

Complaining about your goalie when you get shut out has always been so dumb to me. What makes it worse is that the game was 2-0 before the empty net goal, but somehow Murray still "sucked" last night. What was he supposed to do, get a shutout to compensate for his team laying an egg offensively? Is anything less than that "sucking"?

Hockey is a game of momentum.

The Pens were outplaying Carolina before Murray allowed that first goal, nobody knows how the game would of turned out if Murray makes that routine save.

Letang basically said that goal killed the team.

You can make the case that one goal shouldn't kill the team, but the team shouldn't of been in that position.

Reactions: Pens17

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Yeah, that Florida game is huge, its not going to be easy either, Florida is a different team with Trocheck in the lineup.

After the TB game you got Philly who will probably be on a 10 game winning streak assuming they beat LA and Anaheim.

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Pens were outplaying Carolina before Murray allowed that first goal, nobody knows how the game would of turned out if Murray makes that routine save.

You can make the case that one goal shouldn't kill the team, but the team shouldn't of been in that position.

If you're such a mentally weak team that 1 bad goal completely deflates you and ruins a game, then there are serious problems and the team needs to be blown up. Seeing how they've won 3 cups with this core, I don't think that is the case, but trying to paint this team as being mental midgets to say Murray sucks is super dishonest.

Don't blame Murray for the team being mentally weak if you're going to go with that route. Murray letting in a soft goal is the extent of the blame he deserves, the team deserves 100% blame for collapsing because of a weak goal if they do that.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Hockey is also a game of deflections, be they deflected blame or actual pucks. Sometimes pucks get deflected on the way to the net and routine saves are anything but that. Have you ever suited up in goal before?

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The best thing about reading about this game and not watching it is that the Sully line shuffling was super ****ing predictable and that he thinks that's the issue when the team is absolute ass in games like this.

Juggle lines.

That's like dropping a jar of pickles and the bottle is shattered and you're still trying to scoop the ****ing juice and pickles back up into the jar. The jar isn't the issue, bucko.

Also...Johnson is terrible at hockey. He makes me pine for Josef Melichar after multiple shoulder surgeries.

I felt the same way... the GCR line was causing fits for the Canes. Not sure why you would break up such a dynamic line.

Rearrange the other lines, but don’t chop your head off because your arm is bleeding.
In other news, the analogy game in this thread has been on point.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I don't think you know how hockey works if you don't think a brutal transition defense can hurt offense.

Maybe. Or maybe not.

I remember that I saw a Penguins team that had only one d-man who could half decently move the puck out of the zone.

I also remember that team win the Cup that spring.

And I also remember that I saw in the Canes game Pens forwards going through the motions in the Canes zone, when the puck was already there. And also fanning on the pucks or shooting straight into a career backup goalie who was waived by his team earlier this season.

But, what do I know about hockey?

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad