HURRICANE LEE and ME

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Okay, annual hurricane time for the Atlantic Provinces. Usually Nova Scotia takes the brunt but appears there will be more sharing this time.

Hope you got your batteries, propane ( or charcoal) and storm chips already.

I'm trying to convince my wife going shore fishing at 700 am ( high tide 943 am ) is something to look at, but probably hunkering down makes more sense.

Not looking too bad at this point, but the trees are full and a gust here and there and we have major blackouts. And the rain.

Anyway, good luck to all and if you have a moment toss in a post on how things are going.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Okay, annual hurricane time for the Atlantic Provinces. Usually Nova Scotia takes the brunt buy appears there will be more sharing this time.

I'm trying to convince my wife going shore fishing at 700 am ( high tide 943 am ) is something to look at, but probably hunkering down makes more sense.

Not looking too bad at this point, but the trees are full and a gust here and there and we have major blackouts. And the rain.

Anyway, good luck to all and if you have a moment toss in a post on how things are going.
Hang in there and I hope you and your loved ones and the whole region really, gets through this easily.

Reactions: Runner77 and bopeep

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hang in there and I hope you and your loved ones and the whole region really, gets through this easily.
Thank you. Looks like most of the region will just get a good soaking and some gusts, without major trouble. But NS has had the wildfires and the flooding this year, and a couple places may be in for a bumpy couple of days. Don't want anymore tragedy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Okay, annual hurricane time for the Atlantic Provinces. Usually Nova Scotia takes the brunt but appears there will be more sharing this time.

It's headed right for me Yianik. I live just outside Yarmouth. The eye suppose to go right overtop of us. I just built new barn in May. First thing I built. Hoping it stands it

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's headed right for me Yianik. I live just outside Yarmouth. The eye suppose to go right overtop of us. I just built new barn in May. First thing I built. Hoping it stands it
Prayers to you and your family my friend.

Want to add that I was in Halufax for Juan and that was almost a 2, and while there was tremendous damage it was mostly trees falling on buildings, not so much buildings damaged by the wind. So fingers crossed for you.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Prayers to you and your family my friend.

Want to add that I was in Halufax for Juan and that was almost a 2, and while there was tremendous damage it was mostly trees falling on buildings, not so much buildings damaged by the wind. So fingers crossed for you.
I don't think this one is a bad one. Hoping not anyway. Suppose to hit over night and rage tomorrow, gone by Sunday daylight. Got a slight breeze to south east here now. Blowing about 20 mph.

I sawed a few lower branches off trees in my lawn couple days ago. Figured they will catch less wind. Hope it works. Save the tree. They nice hardwood trees didn't want to lose them.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think this one is a bad one. Hoping not anyway. Suppose to hit over night and rage tomorrow, gone by Sunday daylight. Got a slight breeze to south east here now. Blowing about 20 mph.

I sawed a few lower branches off trees in my lawn couple days ago. Figured they will catch less wind. Hope it works. Save the tree. They nice hardwood trees didn't want to lose them.
You are right, not supposed to be that bad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Man the radar models showed waves upwards of 30 feets at shore, unsure if it's a wise move to go fishing, lol. Then again, the closest body of water to where I live is the Canal Lachine so, you clearly know more about navigation than I do.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I live on the opposite end of the province and I have been following the storm tracker on Environment Canada throughout the week and it is indeed headed right for you. If I am correct here, isn't it better to be in the eye of a hurricane as opposed to being on the outside edges of the storm? I think that wind speed is lower in the center but I might be wrong. I am hoping that the weather predictions are correct, and it remains a post-tropical storm and you guys come out of this unscathed.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Man the radar models showed waves upwards of 30 feets at shore, unsure if it's a wise move to go fishing, lol. Then again, the closest body of water to where I live is the Canal Lachine so, you clearly know more about navigation than I do.
If 30 foot waves hit the shore line then we are done. What you are looking at is probably misleading, and the waves out to sea will be reaching 30 feet but not along the shore. Bay of Fundy ( highest tides in world ) will probably be a bit whacky.

But. The shore line is not the smartest place to be hanging out when Lee hits. No problem a wave big enough to come in and take you out. I wouldn't risk that, I'm just thinking if it's not too bad first thing to see about it. Probably the fish will be heading to deeper water by then though.

You getting any wind down there yet? Blowing about 20-25 mph easterly here now
Nothing

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I live on the opposite end of the province and I have been following the storm tracker on Environment Canada throughout the week and it is indeed headed right for you. If I am correct here, isn't it better to be in the eye of a hurricane as opposed to being on the outside edges of the storm? I think that wind speed is lower in the center but I might be wrong. I am hoping that the weather predictions are correct, and it remains a post-tropical storm and you guys come out of this unscathed.
The eye wall, which is around the eye, actually has the worst wind. Again, the eye passed over Halifax with Juan but the winds didn't directly damage structures that much, it was mostly trees doing the damage. I had one tree hit my house and another crushed the garage. But buildings stood up to the winds pretty well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If 30 foot waves hit the shore line then we are done. What you are looking at is probably misleading, and the waves out to sea will be reaching 30 feet but not along the shore. Bay of Fundy ( highest tides in world ) will probably be a bit whacky.

But. The shore line is not the smartest place to be hanging out when Lee hits. No problem a wave big enough to come in and take you out. I wouldn't risk that, I'm just thinking if it's not too bad first thing to see about it. Probably the fish will be heading to deeper water by then though.

Nothing
It was three days ago and we were monitoring live with my climatology teacher, he said it was likely very innacurate for coastal swell. Curious as to where it is now, unfortunately I dont have an account on the website he uses.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The eye wall, which is around the eye, actually has the worst wind. Again, the eye passed over Halifax with Juan but the winds didn't directly damage structures that much, it was mostly trees doing the damage. I had one tree hit my house and another crushed the garage. But buildings stood up to the winds pretty well.
We got walloped hard by Fiona last year, winds went as high as 179 kms, it was a scary night with plenty of damage left by the storm and some still remains almost a year later.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The eye of the storm is very light winds, but the butthole of the storm (eye wall is the real term, but I like the image.) has the strongest. Sadly, if youre in the eye, it means you went through the fill diameter of the eye wall.

Reactions: OldCraig71

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
In HRM myself, shouldn't be a particularly bad one here at least. Hoping I don't lose power as this is an excellent excuse to watch the rookie camp tournament games this weekend :naughty:

Reactions: OldCraig71

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Nothing
Yup, we getting steady 30 mph here now. Touch nard east looking at neighbours flag pole. They Downgraded it to tropical storm when it hits land fsll

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Most important thing to stock up on is alcohol. Don't make the mistake i made during hurricane Katrina.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We got walloped hard by Fiona last year, winds went as high as 179 kms, it was a scary night with plenty of damage left by the storm and some still remains almost a year later.
Fiona was a bad one. Used to be a hurricane every ten years or so would cause damage, now it's more often.

I’m all prepared here in Halifax. I’m just glad it’s not hurricane Chris Lee
Yep, all Hab homes would have a tree through a window.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It was three days ago and we were monitoring live with my climatology teacher, he said it was likely very innacurate for coastal swell. Curious as to where it is now, unfortunately I dont have an account on the website he uses.
That's pretty cool.

Reactions: Mrb1p

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Fiona was a bad one. Used to be a hurricane every ten years or so would cause damage, now it's more often.

Yep, all Hab homes would have a tree through a window.
If it happened like that, no doubt insurance agent C. Lee would come by, announce he did not see any tree, and therefore you would be getting nothing from the insurance company.

• Haha
Reactions: JianYang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad