OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's incredible country no doubt. We have been going there for about 5 years now, and it's the best warm water fishery I've ever dropped my line in to. We like to go in May just to hit them in shallow water and to get those 40+ Pike. It also helps avoid the blackflies, but this year about 95% of the lake was still iced over.

Parent is a funny place :laugh:

Atlantics a bucket list fish for me. I live on the west coast, and our runs go from August into the winter, and really into spring with the Steelhead.

The Gouin is great for Walleye numbers. We catch a lot of slot size fish up there, but none of us have ever caught a 30", my biggest is 28" for walleye and 40" for Pike out of Gouin.

Highly recommend it if any of you get the opportunity.
Ever land a big Chinook? I fought a 30 pounder mooching off Nitinat. Actually, I was driving the boat when the owner hooked it, then handed me the rod. Here, have fun. Was a new experience and thrilling. That fish didn't want to come near the boat. Finally netted it after 20 minutes. Then we shot the gap for more thrills. Anyone familiar with Nitinat lake and the gap will know what I mean.

Reactions: jaffy27

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Any good ressources for learning how to fish ? Aside from simply doing it of course.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Any good ressources for learning how to fish ? Aside from simply doing it of course.

Youtube all the technical stuff (knots, setups, gear, basic technique), but the very best thing is just to find someone who's experienced to show you the ropes. Also, depending on the kind of fishing, it can be quite easy, and without much of a learning curve you can get right into it.

If you're fly fishing, take a casting course, I wish I had done that years ago when I started and it really helped.

Edit: Another tip is to join your local fishing forum or facebook group, don't go around asking people for details but sometimes they post where they caught it or what they caught it on. Even just knowing if a certain species is hitting really well.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Ever land a big Chinook? I fought a 30 pounder mooching off Nitinat. Actually, I was driving the boat when the owner hooked it, then handed me the rod. Here, have fun. Was a new experience and thrilling. That fish didn't want to come near the boat. Finally netted it after 20 minutes. Then we shot the gap for more thrills. Anyone familiar with Nitinat lake and the gap will know what I mean.

I know what you mean, when I caught my first west coast king I understood how Popeye got his forearms!

Reactions: peate

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
Friends can be a great resource. There's also YouTube, as someone mentioned. You can also learn a lot watching shows on wildtv, if you can stand a lot of shameless advertising. There are also some good publications, such as Field and Stream, Fishin' Canada and others.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I had an accident about 10 years ago getting a moose out of the woods at max 3 kmh, in Gaspésie.
Rushed to hospital by my buds, I ended up having 3 surgeries because of spinal cord compression....6 fused vertebreas.....and was forced to retire from my job
I just recently decided to sell my rifles, but kept all my shotguns , someday I might go back duck hunting or grouse hunting.
Deer and moose hunting is definetly over for me;
Like I always say ; moose hunting is all fun and games till you actually kill one and have to get it back to camp.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Youtube all the technical stuff (knots, setups, gear, basic technique), but the very best thing is just to find someone who's experienced to show you the ropes. Also, depending on the kind of fishing, it can be quite easy, and without much of a learning curve you can get right into it.

If you're fly fishing, take a casting course, I wish I had done that years ago when I started and it really helped.

Edit: Another tip is to join your local fishing forum or facebook group, don't go around asking people for details but sometimes they post where they caught it or what they caught it on. Even just knowing if a certain species is hitting really well.
Large mouth bass are hilariously easy to catch and loads of fun. Builds your skills while having success. Top water, stick baits, spinners, plastics, spoons, live bait, and even flies. You’ll also learn how to work structure. Just my .02.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A few tips...

location - fish are looking for food, they tend to follow their prey (often smaller fish).. The mouth of rivers or brooks are often a good source for them and a good place to fish

bait /tackle- dépends what you`re fishing for; pro shops can help there, a neighbour works at one and he is like an encyclopedia on fishing. I used to like live bait but there are apparently now régulations on their use. something else to checkout with a pro shop. I am impressed with some of the newer lures, they look and feel so real.

landing technique - develops over time, knowing when to heave & hook. and get out the net.

patience - alot of waiting with fishing. on a nice day though, it`s relaxing.

Good advice above, finding a knowledgable friend to go with.

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I will be visiting sooke, BC first week of Sept. Hoping to do some shore fishing... Good advise above about a local pro shop... these guys/girls usually know the spots and amateurs like me aren't a threat :)

Some stuff I read online talk about not using anything fancy from the show and just go with buzz bombs. I did try buzz bombs a couple of times here on Bow in Calgary and never landed anything on them. But some people swear by them (if you believe the internet). Will give it a go...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I will be visiting sooke, BC first week of Sept. Hoping to do some shore fishing... Good advise above about a local pro shop... these guys/girls usually know the spots and amateurs like me aren't a threat :)

Some stuff I read online talk about not using anything fancy from the show and just go with buzz bombs. I did try buzz bombs a couple of times here on Bow in Calgary and never landed anything on them. But some people swear by them (if you believe the internet). Will give it a go...
Sooke is a beautiful place. There's a fish & chips joint that's to die for. Halibut or Cod on the menu and home cut fries. But that was @ 20 years ago, things change. You're going at the best time too. September is usually really nice in that area.

Reactions: The Real Timo

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Sooke is a beautiful place. There's a fish & chips joint that's to die for. Halibut or Cod on the menu and home cut fries. But that was @ 20 years ago, things change. You're going at the best time too. September is usually really nice in that area.
Thanks, that's good to hear. Pictures looked lovely. The place where we are staying is waterfront and has what seems like a nice place to cast. SHould be lovely.

Reactions: peate

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Walleye, Trout and Salmon, mostly. Don't mind doing a lot of road.
For walleye, use jigs, it’s that easy, with a Gulp.....then they’re all yours. If you gonna use floating jig, then use split shot 3 feet away from that floatie. Orange is my preferred colour, blue is good too.

They bite really good approaching dusk and right after dawn......you’ll find them in 6-7 feet of water.....In high sun parts of the day, you’ll find them to be deeper.

Fish around shoals, along rocky coastline, around islands. Also on edges of weed beds

If it’s windy, fish the on shore, so where the wind blows towards the shoreline.

Trout like live bait and things that are shiny.

Usually a long string of silver and gold spinners.....to them, they think it’s a school of fish, so they’ll come and investigate. Then they’ll see your bait and attack.

They hang in deep cold waters so fish them deep.

Good luck and make sure your hooks are barbless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For walleye, use jigs, it’s that easy, with a Gulp.....then they’re all yours. If you gonna use floating jig, then use split shot 3 feet away from that floatie. Orange is my preferred colour, blue is good too.

They bite really good approaching dusk and right after dawn......you’ll find them in 6-7 feet of water.....In high sun parts of the day, you’ll find them to be deeper.

Fish around shoals, along rocky coastline, around islands. Also on edges of weed beds

If it’s windy, fish the on shore, so where the wind blows towards the shoreline.

Trout like live bait and things that are shiny.

Usually a long string of silver and gold spinners.....to them, they think it’s a school of fish, so they’ll come and investigate. Then they’ll see your bait and attack.

They hang in deep cold waters so fish them deep.

Good luck and make sure your hooks are barbless.

Meantime, we have a poster who is named after a fishing lure and he's successfully managed to not post in this thread. :D

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Meantime, we have a poster who is named after a fishing lure and he's successfully managed to not post in this thread. :D
Lol... i noticed :) Nice lures, albeit pretty expensive. But I did have some success with them pulling a few decent trout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad