OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Watch out for bears...

grp_01_4standing_col-300x191.png

...especially if you`re carrying a pick-a-nick basket!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, Ellie is a Springer Spaniel and Gus is a Bohemian Wire Hair Pointer.

Beautiful dogs. I don’t know much about hunting dogs except that a pointer is an attribute.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I just noticed this great thread.

I'll just be happy when my knee recovers enough for me to get out in the boat and enjoy the summer weather we're finally starting to get around here. The recreational cod fishery is open here on the weekends and even though I don't participate in that fishery much I still like to go out a few times while it's open. Some of the locals here have also been getting some nice sea run trout that I hope stick around for a while yet since I quite enjoy trout fishing.

Before I busted up my knee though I did have a good day with a couple of friends picking up a few scallops so that was great. I also had my fill of fresh lobster while the lobster fishery was open here as well so can't complain about that. :)

I haven't been getting out much for the past 5+ weeks but I have been checking out pictures of some rather impressive icebergs that have been drifting along the Newfoundland coast this iceberg season. Some of these icebergs are incredible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just noticed this great thread.

I'll just be happy when my knee recovers enough for me to get out in the boat and enjoy the summer weather we're finally starting to get around here. The recreational cod fishery is open here on the weekends and even though I don't participate in that fishery much I still like to go out a few times while it's open. Some of the locals here have also been getting some nice sea run trout that I hope stick around for a while yet since I quite enjoy trout fishing.

Before I busted up my knee though I did have a good day with a couple of friends picking up a few scallops so that was great. I also had my fill of fresh lobster while the lobster fishery was open here as well so can't complain about that. :)

I haven't been getting out much for the past 5+ weeks but I have been checking out pictures of some rather impressive icebergs that have been drifting along the Newfoundland coast this iceberg season. Some of these icebergs are incredible.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and I sincerely hope you get well real soon.

I had no idea that there was an "iceberg season" that involved floating icebergs along the Newfoundland coastline.

Looked up a few pics and saw this. Really amazing.

huge-iceberg-alley-canadian-coast-fb__700-png.jpg

If per chance you see an iceberg drifting aimlessly that reminds you of our chances of making the playoffs, may I suggest that you dub it the Icebergevin. Once you've named it, see how long it takes for it to self-destruct. :D

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Thanks for sharing your experiences and I sincerely hope you get well real soon.

I had no idea that there was an "iceberg season" that involved floating icebergs along the Newfoundland coastline.

Looked up a few pics and saw this. Really amazing.

huge-iceberg-alley-canadian-coast-fb__700-png.jpg

If per chance you see an iceberg drifting aimlessly that reminds you of our chances of making the playoffs, may I suggest that you dub it the Icebergevin. Once you've named it, see how long it takes for it to self-destruct. :D

Thanks. It's a very slow process healing from this knee injury it seems. I've been climbing the walls since the weather has turned nicer here. :)

Yes there is an iceberg season when these impressive chunks of ice float by the Newfoundland coastline. I'm not sure when they first arrive but usually the month of May until the end of July seems to be the peak time.

Funny thing is I've lived in Newfoundland my entire life and have never seen an iceberg other than in pictures. :o The part of the island I live don't get to see icebergs drifting by but that's still no excuse for me not to go iceberg "hunting". :) I believe that iceberg picture is from a couple of years ago or so but there's been plenty of spectacular icebergs around again this year judging by the pictures I've seen.

There's a facebook group that tracks icebergs for anyone wondering where to go looking for them. This group has some very nice pictures of this years icebergs.

Newfoundland Iceberg Reports

Reactions: ArtPeur and jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's a facebook group that tracks icebergs for anyone wondering where to go looking for them. This group has some very nice pictures of this years icebergs.

Great pics on that page.

Saw someone mention that some people actually get their boats too close to the floating icebergs and some even step on them for photo opps. The Facebook page you linked refuses to post such pics but says that you can find individuals performing these senseless stunts.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Great pics on that page.

Saw someone mention that some people actually get their boats too close to the floating icebergs and some even step on them for photo opps. The Facebook page you linked refuses to post such pics but says that you can find individuals performing these senseless stunts.

Yes there are some really nice pictures posted on that page but there have been tons more flowing though my facebook feed this spring and summer.

Yeah it isn't a very good idea to get too close to those massive chunks of ice especially when in a small boat. If that massive iceberg happens to crumble or roll over it could get very dangerous very quickly for any small boat that's close to it. If there were icebergs in my area I'd keep a safe distance away but there's always a select few who have more guts than brains it seems.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When it comes to fishing, Atlantic salmon on a fly, is what I've been raised on, although the numbers are sadly declining. I also enjoy trout and striped bass fishing. The bass numbers are just stupid high in these parts.
For hunting, I'm an avid whitetail hunter, but I also enjoy hunting moose and partridge. Every couple of years, I take a trip to hunt elk and mule deer.

Just trying to open the door for discussion.
I am trying to get back into whitetail hunting this fall. I use to go as a kid with my grandfather. He was a guide and real good at hunting. Wish I had gone as an adult now.

Bought a WWI 303 this spring. It is in good shape but want to put it back way it was original. Bought original sling other day. Looking for original draw snake, oil bottle that goes in stock.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I am trying to get back into whitetail hunting this fall. I use to go as a kid with my grandfather. He was a guide and real good at hunting. Wish I had gone as an adult now.

Bought a WWI 303 this spring. It is in good shape but want to put it back way it was original. Bought original sling other day. Looking for original draw snake, oil bottle that goes in stock.
Congrats on the new purchase!! It's always fun to buy new gear in anticipation for the upcoming season. I hope you are able to find some time for whitetail hunting this fall. You won't regret getting back into it. Good luck during the season!!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thanks. It's a very slow process healing from this knee injury it seems. I've been climbing the walls since the weather has turned nicer here. :)

Yes there is an iceberg season when these impressive chunks of ice float by the Newfoundland coastline. I'm not sure when they first arrive but usually the month of May until the end of July seems to be the peak time.

Funny thing is I've lived in Newfoundland my entire life and have never seen an iceberg other than in pictures. :o The part of the island I live don't get to see icebergs drifting by but that's still no excuse for me not to go iceberg "hunting". :) I believe that iceberg picture is from a couple of years ago or so but there's been plenty of spectacular icebergs around again this year judging by the pictures I've seen.

Any idea how the knee injury might have happened?

giphy.gif

Reactions: sheed36 and Tyson

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Love it! I've got 40 lbs of lingcod in my freezer right now and getting my 9 wt ready for the salmon runs out here.

Went up to Gouin Reservoir in QC for walleye opener and couldn't believe the amount of ice on the lake still!
Ziy9RRA

Atlantic salmon? where about? Salmon give a good fight.Rare that I land any,but not going for them specifically.

Lots of walleye? always nice to find a walleye hole.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I love the Gouin but my father goes there in the first/second week of July and I can't get days off from work around that time. I heard from my brother that the roads were pretty bad this year. The rocks were too sharp and a lot of people had flat tires trying to get to Parent

I also used to go trout fishing in Parc du Mont-tremblant or Mastigouche 15+ years ago

It's incredible country no doubt. We have been going there for about 5 years now, and it's the best warm water fishery I've ever dropped my line in to. We like to go in May just to hit them in shallow water and to get those 40+ Pike. It also helps avoid the blackflies, but this year about 95% of the lake was still iced over.

Parent is a funny place :laugh:

Atlantic salmon? where about? Salmon give a good fight.Rare that I land any,but not going for them specifically.

Lots of walleye? always nice to find a walleye hole.

Atlantics a bucket list fish for me. I live on the west coast, and our runs go from August into the winter, and really into spring with the Steelhead.

The Gouin is great for Walleye numbers. We catch a lot of slot size fish up there, but none of us have ever caught a 30", my biggest is 28" for walleye and 40" for Pike out of Gouin.

Highly recommend it if any of you get the opportunity.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I love fishing but I can't catch anything

Where ya going and when? The further and more remote the better. Line fishing?

I tend to do more spear fishing than other types the last few years or so,but still did some trolling lately with zero results, with exception to gathering up some sea urchins while trying to spear a fish.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's incredible country no doubt. We have been going there for about 5 years now, and it's the best warm water fishery I've ever dropped my line in to. We like to go in May just to hit them in shallow water and to get those 40+ Pike. It also helps avoid the blackflies, but this year about 95% of the lake was still iced over.

Parent is a funny place :laugh:

Atlantics a bucket list fish for me. I live on the west coast, and our runs go from August into the winter, and really into spring with the Steelhead.

The Gouin is great for Walleye numbers. We catch a lot of slot size fish up there, but none of us have ever caught a 30", my biggest is 28" for walleye and 40" for Pike out of Gouin.

Highly recommend it if any of you get the opportunity.

Not sure you want to eat that large of a walleye,heard it's better if around 3lbs or less to eat. Never seen any that large where I've fished. No walleye out west? If you want Atlantic salmon and willing to go the the Gouin reservoir,try going a bit further north. I don't think there are any small Atlantic salmon and char is abound also.
Haven't had the chance to do any fishing out west,would love to though.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Not sure you want to eat that large of a walleye,heard it's better if around 3lbs or less to eat. Never seen any that large where I've fished. No walleye out west? If you want Atlantic salmon and willing to go the the Gouin reservoir,try going a bit further north. I don't think there are any small Atlantic salmon and char is abound also.
Haven't had the chance to do any fishing out west,would love to though.

Thanks for the tip! It's an area I haven't gotten into yet, but will hopefully beak that barrier soon.

I of course released my 28" walleye. There's a slot size and also there's no shortage of 16" eaters.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad