Confirmed Signing with Link: Hunter Shinkaruk signs AHL contract (Charlotte Checkers)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Canucks didn't qualify Granlund, Flames didn't qualify Rychel. Whole thing pretty much a wash.

Minor deals that didn't help any team involved go anywhere but individually the Canucks easily got the best player and most NHL contribution in the Shinkaruk trades. Calgary didn't get much when they traded one year of Shinkaruk for one year of Rychel (I mean, what did anyone expect) but at least Rychel scored four times more points in the AHL last year than Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk was practically useless at the AHL level. His career is on a big downward spiral.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Was never the same after the hip surgery and he needed to up his stride even before that. Still hard to fault Van for that pick but Shea Theodore was on the board and he'd look good right now..

Back to Shink I'm actually surprised he even is still playing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Was never the same after the hip surgery and he needed to up his stride even before that. Still hard to fault Van for that pick but Shea Theodore was on the board and he'd look good right now..

Back to Shink I'm actually surprised he even is still playing.
Watching him on the ice last year I'm not sure if he was indeed playing or just going for a free skate session. Just no drive at all.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
That's why it's risky high drafting players that don't show major year-to-year improvements in junior.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Okay, seeing as how the first few hundred times we mentioned this on our "cesspool" of a board (where you totally don't get laughed at) didn't stick, here it is once again:

We don't give a **** about Shinkaruk. Nobody gives a **** about Shinkaruk. He was a perfectly good prospect until he was ruined by double hip surgery. Then he was traded for Granlund, who sucks. We hate Granlund for sucking, not for being traded for Shinkaruk. The only times Shinkaruk's name ever comes up on the Canucks board is when some pro-Benning bot wants to remind everyone that, yes, once upon a time Dear Leader did in fact make a trade where the superior player came back our way. The rest of us know. We've already acknowledged the point. We've just moved on to the fact that Granlund still sucks and did not make the Canucks any better. Now he's gone too.

I've never seen a situation where people can be so utterly incapable of separating the player from the transaction. It happened years ago. It's done. Please get over it. Markus ****ing Granlund is not the hill you want to die on. Both players are gone now. Let it go.
Who would’ve thought that a Hunter Shinkaruk AHL contract thread would evoke such passion and rage?

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Pretty crazy we traded Kerby Rychel for him last year and ended up hands down losing that deal. And Rychel's a pretty big bust too.

Yeah Rychel is a good player at the AHL level. I thought Shinkaruk would be too but he's falling off a cliff. I don't think he ever mentally prepared himself for NOT being an NHLer. Now he's toiling in the minors and likely looking at his last season in North America.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
We got him how many years after that. he was no longer waiver eligible the following year and likely could have been had on waivers.
well what i was trying to say is I don't think Shinkaruk's pedigree as a first round pick is more meaningful than Granlund's pedigree as a second round pick when you add in that Granlund was more established at the NHL level at that point.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Okay, seeing as how the first few hundred times we mentioned this on our "cesspool" of a board (where you totally don't get laughed at) didn't stick, here it is once again:

We don't give a **** about Shinkaruk. Nobody gives a **** about Shinkaruk. He was a perfectly good prospect until he was ruined by double hip surgery. Then he was traded for Granlund, who sucks. We hate Granlund for sucking, not for being traded for Shinkaruk. The only times Shinkaruk's name ever comes up on the Canucks board is when some pro-Benning bot wants to remind everyone that, yes, once upon a time Dear Leader did in fact make a trade where the superior player came back our way. The rest of us know. We've already acknowledged the point. We've just moved on to the fact that Granlund still sucks and did not make the Canucks any better. Now he's gone too.

I've never seen a situation where people can be so utterly incapable of separating the player from the transaction. It happened years ago. It's done. Please get over it. Markus ****ing Granlund is not the hill you want to die on. Both players are gone now. Let it go.
This simply isn't true. Many posters on the Canucks board cited the trade as an error in strategy regardless of Shinkaruk's career trajectory afterward, and call it a bad trade on that basis. We've both read the posts.

Also, if fans of other teams are wondering why an argument is breaking out over a meaningless trade, go check out the Canucks board. 90 percent of the posters there are so shellshocked by Benning's term as GM that they've gone completely insane. Benning has obviously done a poor job and virtually everyone agrees on this, but if you don't also agree that literally everything that happens is evidence of it you're accused of supporting him. Has this happened elsewhere in similar situations?

Last edited:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This simply isn't true. Many posters on the Canucks board cited the trade as an error in strategy regardless of Shinkaruk's career trajectory afterward, and call it a bad trade on that basis. We've both read the posts.

Also, if fans of other teams are wondering why an argument is breaking out over a meaningless trade, go check out the Canucks board. 90 percent of the posters there are so shellshocked by Benning's term as GM that they've gone completely insane. Benning has obviously done a poor job and virtually everyone agrees on this, but if you don't also agree that literally everything that happens is evidence of it you're accused of supporting him. Has this happened elsewhere in similar situations?

Is this what MarkusNaslund19 meant by "a cesspool"?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Is this what MarkusNaslund19 meant by "a cesspool"?
Yep. It's a handful of Benning supporters who are mostly trolling at this point, huge numbers of anti-Benning posters reacting hysterically to absolutely anything he does, and reasonable posters caught in the middle and accused of defending Benning, which virtually no one is actually doing. Check it out some time, it's a scene.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. It's a handful of Benning supporters who are mostly trolling at this point, huge numbers of anti-Benning posters reacting hysterically to absolutely anything he does, and reasonable posters caught in the middle and accused of defending Benning, which virtually no one is actually doing. Check it out some time, it's a scene.

The devil you say!

My word, smells like a lot of people can't handle a rebuild...

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Yes, anyone who doesn't hate Benning with every fibre of their being is a 'bot' or in a cult.

Oh no, people laugh at me over there? That's the worst news I've received in the last 15 minutes. Amazing that I would think there's a toxic element over there with these quality posts.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

True story. I've been called "irrationally optimistic" (and worse) for not hating Ferland and Myers deals. Not liking, just not hating.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

For the record, I'm not trolling over there (I'm a Benning guy, but I dislike the Aqua's). I simply layout my opinions and people either agree or disagree.

I'm not going to get into this too much, but I do worry about the mental health of many of the anti-Benning guys over there (not all, but a select handful). It's one thing to disagree with Benning and strongly dislike many of the moves that him and management have made. There's nothing wrong with that. However - I just think it's an entirely different animal to log on to a website almost every day (for 5+ years running), and absolutely lambast management and Benning in a personal manner, while actively cheering for your own team to lose (the team you supposedly cheer for). Perhaps I am wrong here, but I don't think that's mentally healthy. Propagating lies to further one's agenda (i.e. claiming that Benning wanted Glass over Pettersson, claiming that the Canucks were offered a 9th overall for Ryan Miller during the 2015 draft), is just disturbing behavior in my view. Again - sorry for the off-topic comment. Mods, I won't comment on this any further. Just felt like it needed to be said.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
There was no winner in that deal

Well it made the Stockton Heat a better team last year and the Laval Rocket a worse team. It does matter from a development perspective, although not significantly by any means.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good on him if he can get more in the K, because he's been baaaad in Charlotte. Talk about a prospect I really missed my shot on way back when.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelhockey

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good on him it he can get more in the K, because he's been baaaad in Charlotte. Talk about a prospect I really missed my shot on way back when.
At his age, unless he’s a big ahl point producer like a Reid Boucher he had to go overseas. 6 years since his draft and he had a late birthday. 25 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad