Confirmed Signing with Link: Hunter Shinkaruk signs AHL contract (Charlotte Checkers)

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
You realize Benning didn’t draft Shinkaruk and traded him away for an actual NHL player, right? I’m not Benning’s biggest fan but anything to do with Shinkaruk isn’t a “Dim Jim” occasion.
Trying to continue with the hf narrative about Benning.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There are Canucks fans on our board (which is a cesspit) who use dealing Shink for Granlund as evidence AGAINST Benning because based on what was known at the time (you know, to fans, not executives) they think he should have gotten more.

Shinkaruk gave me less headaches/reasons to throw my remote, so.....

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah getting Granlund was a steal. I hate to think where the Canucks would be if they didn't have Granlund righting the ship the last three years...
Being a GM is trying to improve the team piece by piece. Are you one of those radio callers who wonders why the Canucks don't just trade for McDavid? If you turn a 15 into a 23 you've done your job (in that specific transaction).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Charlotte needs to re-stock that team.

They lost a bunch of guys this summer (Poturalski, Saarela, Jurco, probably Necas, etc.)

All these guys have moved on (Necas likely to the NHL as well).
Poturalski: 70 points
Saarela: 30G, 54P
Necas: 52P
Shilkey: 37P
Roy: 36P
Brown: 35P
Jurco: 17P in 19Games

Reactions: Unsustainable

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He was never as good as some people thought he was. If you look down the 2019 draft lists, there will be 7 of him
Well his game was based on speed wide down the wall. The hip surgery really killed his overall game. He just never had the same jump to separate from competition.
He was always a boom or bust player, he was drafted accordingly to that notion. The fact that a 24th overall pick busted isn’t some revaluation

Reactions: Derp Kassian

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hunter Shinkaruk had attitude problems.

the story behind his attitude problems was when he was still in school, and was arrogant about being a high calibre nhl prospect. but when he did play for his for the Comets there was nothing but praise about Shinkaruks' positive attitude day in and day out. I was sad to see him go to be honest even though I was not surprised since he only got points on the powerplay and that's it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Come on. I have no dog in this fight but if you trade a player who never made it for one who does, you WON the trade. Just about EVERY prospect with untapped potential FAILS TO MAKE IT, because they don't know HOW to tap it! For every late bloomer there are FIFTY who never bloom. It's like holding a stock you bought for 8 years, waiting for it to regain the price you bought it at. Meanwhile, there's something called Opportunity Cost, and it's just as valid in running a sports franchise as it is in running an investment portfolio.

Shinkaruk is kind of a weird one though in that it looked like he was blooming then the trade to Calgary happens and every season since his scoring continues to plummet. At the time of the trade though he was 20 years old and had scored 45-21-18-39 on a Comets team with little offensive support.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
No, that's NOT the WHOLE point. When the trade was made you didn't fully know whether a) Hunter was going to develop and b) Granlund would end up a 12th-13th forward (which I would suggest is a little harsh given he gave you 12 goals last year playing bottom 6 minutes). If the trade had never been made would you still be excusing Shinkaruk's 'growth potential'?
We all would have been happy with whatever pick came our way, as I've said multiple times, Benning has done the opposite of stocking the cupboard. If you didnt like shinkaruk at the time he still had value as a recent first, we gave him up for a guy that in two straight deadlines was not coveted by anyone.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He was never as good as some people thought he was. If you look down the 2019 draft lists, there will be 7 of him
I always felt he had high bust potential. He was either gonna hit it big as a goal scorer in a top 6 somewhere or completely crash and burn.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Markus Granlund may not be on the Canucks anymore, but he is still an NHLer. In fact he has played for three teams in his division - teams that have seen a lot of him. Why did he get signed? Probably because they think Granlund still has potential while Shinkaruk is done. GMs make moves, but pro scouts provide insight, and multiple pro scouts have liked Granlund at different points in his career. The biggest knock on Benning here is that the Canucks couldn't move Granlund at the deadline, but they still thought they had an outside shot at the playoffs at that point.

All the best to Shinkaruk. Hope he can string a proper PPG season together in the AHL and maybe steal some NHL minutes at some point in his career. I think he'd be a great player in Europe and may yet carve out a career there.

edited*

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
We all would have been happy with whatever pick came our way, as I've said multiple times, Benning has done the opposite of stocking the cupboard. If you didnt like shinkaruk at the time he still had value as a recent first, we gave him up for a guy that in two straight deadlines was not coveted by anyone.
Markus Granlund was a second round pick himself

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
There are Canucks fans on our board (which is a cesspit) who use dealing Shink for Granlund as evidence AGAINST Benning because based on what was known at the time (you know, to fans, not executives) they think he should have gotten more.
Okay, seeing as how the first few hundred times we mentioned this on our "cesspool" of a board (where you totally don't get laughed at) didn't stick, here it is once again:

We don't give a shit about Shinkaruk. Nobody gives a shit about Shinkaruk. He was a perfectly good prospect until he was ruined by double hip surgery. Then he was traded for Granlund, who sucks. We hate Granlund for sucking, not for being traded for Shinkaruk. The only times Shinkaruk's name ever comes up on the Canucks board is when some pro-Benning bot wants to remind everyone that, yes, once upon a time Dear Leader did in fact make a trade where the superior player came back our way. The rest of us know. We've already acknowledged the point. We've just moved on to the fact that Granlund still sucks and did not make the Canucks any better. Now he's gone too.

I've never seen a situation where people can be so utterly incapable of separating the player from the transaction. It happened years ago. It's done. Please get over it. Markus f***ing Granlund is not the hill you want to die on. Both players are gone now. Let it go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad