Confirmed Signing with Link: Hunter Shinkaruk signs AHL contract (Charlotte Checkers)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Former Canucks 1st round pick signs with Charlotte Checkers

19-7-2019 11-02-54.jpg

Surprised that he didn't go to Europe. Maybe no interest.
If it wasn't a done deal before, i think its official now, his NHL "career" is done.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There are Canucks fans on our board (which is a cesspit) who use dealing Shink for Granlund as evidence AGAINST Benning because based on what was known at the time (you know, to fans, not executives) they think he should have gotten more.

I don’t know why you brought him up here but Jim Benning really sucks

Carnal

May 29, 2018
There are Canucks fans on our board (which is a cesspit) who use dealing Shink for Granlund as evidence AGAINST Benning because based on what was known at the time (you know, to fans, not executives) they think he should have gotten more.
Yeah getting Granlund was a steal. I hate to think where the Canucks would be if they didn't have Granlund righting the ship the last three years...

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
You realize Benning didn’t draft Shinkaruk and traded him away for an actual NHL player, right? I’m not Benning’s biggest fan but anything to do with Shinkaruk isn’t a “Dim Jim” occasion.

Granlunds a perfect example of why we sucked he's a marginal player that was able to play decent minutes because we suck. Everyones issue with the trade was shinkaruk should still have had "untapped" potential at the time whereas it was clear granlunds was just a marginal NHL player. And based on where we were it would have made a lot more sense to go for whatever pick we could get for shinkaruk instead.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Granlunds a perfect example of why we sucked he's a marginal player that was able to play decent minutes because we suck. Everyones issue with the trade was shinkaruk should still have had "untapped" potential at the time whereas it was clear granlunds was just a marginal NHL player. And based on where we were it would have made a lot more sense to go for whatever pick we could get for shinkaruk instead.

Come on. I have no dog in this fight but if you trade a player who never made it for one who does, you WON the trade. Just about EVERY prospect with untapped potential FAILS TO MAKE IT, because they don't know HOW to tap it! For every late bloomer there are FIFTY who never bloom. It's like holding a stock you bought for 8 years, waiting for it to regain the price you bought it at. Meanwhile, there's something called Opportunity Cost, and it's just as valid in running a sports franchise as it is in running an investment portfolio.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
Come on. I have no dog in this fight but if you trade a player who never made it for one who does, you WON the trade. Just about EVERY prospect with untapped potential FAILS TO MAKE IT, because they don't know HOW to tap it! For every late bloomer there are FIFTY who never bloom. It's like holding a stock you bought for 8 years, waiting for it to regain the price you bought it at. Meanwhile, there's something called Opportunity Cost, and it's just as valid in running a sports franchise as it is in running an investment portfolio.

The whole point of it is, you can get a scrub 12-13th forward that is a dime a dozen or you can have a lottery ticket, we all wanted the lottery ticket. Granlund didn't add anything to this team. What most of our fan bases gripe with Benning is he drafts well but trades all of his picks for marginal NHL players, we don't need to trade picks for marginal guys we are very good already at giving them bloated contracts in free agency.

Reactions: Canucks5551

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Unfortunately we’re now in a reality where even if Benning wins something, a very vocal part of the Canucks’ fanbase will still make him out to be an idiot.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

Too sensible, I have a feeling the benning hate club won’t or can’t understand this post. . Way over their heads

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hunter Shinkaruk had attitude problems. He got mad because he expected to make the Canucks in 2013-14, played through an injury then got surgery the moment he found out he got cut from Team Canada at the World Juniors.

He was pretty good as a kid, but I find he got over his head and his career went spiralling down the toilet. I see him playing somewhere in Europe next.

On a side-note, if he was drafted in 2012, because he's a 94 birthday, he probably would've gone in the top ten or fifteen.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The whole point of it is, you can get a scrub 12-13th forward that is a dime a dozen or you can have a lottery ticket, we all wanted the lottery ticket. Granlund didn't add anything to this team. What most of our fan bases gripe with Benning is he drafts well but trades all of his picks for marginal NHL players, we don't need to trade picks for marginal guys we are very good already at giving them bloated contracts in free agency.

No, that's NOT the WHOLE point. When the trade was made you didn't fully know whether a) Hunter was going to develop and b) Granlund would end up a 12th-13th forward (which I would suggest is a little harsh given he gave you 12 goals last year playing bottom 6 minutes). If the trade had never been made would you still be excusing Shinkaruk's 'growth potential'?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad