Rumor: "Hughes has told management Tanev is a guy you guys should target."

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I don't think this speculation from Dhaliwal materially affects anything.

I mean it's no secret that Tanev leaving was a great fit here and a big loss, no less replaced by one Tyler Myers at 6.0m aav.

A long list of pro scouting finds in the Benning era lol (Myers, OEL, Gudbranson, Bartkowski, Clendening, Pedan et al)

Should Tanev have a desire to stay in Canada (eg Toronto, Vancouver etc) opposed to fishing for the largest contract possible, if the Flames know it, they should try to recoup some value.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't think this speculation from Dhaliwal materially affects anything.

I mean it's no secret that Tanev leaving was a great fit here and a big loss, no less replaced by one Tyler Myers at 6.0m aav.

A long list of pro scouting finds in the Benning era lol (Myers, OEL, Gudbranson, Bartkowski, Clendening, Pedan et al)

Should Tanev have a desire to stay in Canada (eg Toronto, Vancouver etc) opposed to fishing for the largest contract possible, if the Flames know it, they should try to recoup some value.
Myers was already here before Tanev left. If anything, Schmidt took the cap space and roster spot.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
dang, he must really be tired of carrying hronek around all night to directly ask management for help

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Quinn? Jack? Luke? Kent?

1706163691069.jpeg

man how many of this bullshit card did i get that year

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
please no to tanev. hes 34. i dont care if he has familiarty with the team. what if he gets hurt in his first game back. west playoffs is physical he isnt 18 anymore. i doubt he has the footspeed to catch anyone if he gets turn inside out. yes i know his defensive game is good but blocking shots like him on a nightly basis is asking for trouble.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Tanev + Lindholm

2024 1st + 2025 2nd + Hunter Brzustewicz + Podkolzin + Mikheyev. Let’s goooo
To much, way to much

Tanev is worth like a second

Lindholm is having a tough year and a first and Hunter is more than enough IMO.

pod is going to be a player and we drafted him tenth overall, let’s go ahead and keep him.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Tanev + Lindholm

2024 1st + 2025 2nd + Hunter Brzustewicz + Podkolzin + Mikheyev. Let’s goooo
That seems like a massive overpay by the Canucks

To much, way to much

Tanev is worth like a second

Lindholm is having a tough year and a first and Hunter is more than enough IMO.

pod is going to be a player and we drafted him tenth overall, let’s go ahead and keep him.
I need to know - did much reply to your letter??

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Not only would I want Tanev back from a fans stand point, but I would do it just to keep the captain happy. Keep making Hughes happy and he may resign without hesitation in a few years when his contract expires. Avoid any future delays like we're currently having with Pettersson.

Tanev would be a welcomed addition to the roster. He should of never been forced to leave in the first place, but our brain dead GM at the time was so enamored with OEL, he left the most important defenseman on our roster hanging. So stupid.

Reactions: Fig

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He should have never left Vancouver, just another casualty of that complete imbecile named Jimothy Benning.

His contributions were always undervalued by even Canucks fans, and as the roster turned over during the "rebuild", he became an important veteran off the ice (see: "dad").

Make it right, Allvin.

The truly sad part is he never wanted to. Benning stiffed him chasing after OEL, and when that initially fell through, he lowballed Tanev. Hence why he signed with Calgary after supposedly telling DimJim he'd "sleep on it".

Would love to have him back but I'm not entirely sure how we fit him in. They're not moving Myers no matter how much people keep suggesting it. So I guess we sit Cole?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think the market for Tanev will be wide net.
Rumours Calgary wants Hoglander and I imagine a plus for Tanev's services.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think the market for Tanev will be wide net.
Rumours Calgary wants Hoglander and I imagine a plus for Tanev's services.

They can ask but they aren't getting Hoglander. Nobody is offering a roster player who's only 23 and scored 14 goals for a 34 year old UFA.

If that's the demand, he'll remain a Flame post deadline.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
*** Hugues enters the chat ***

KENT Hugues that is...

You guys need to dump Myers ? :)
It'll only cost your late first...
Nice doing business with you !

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He should have never left Vancouver, just another casualty of that complete imbecile named Jimothy Benning.

His contributions were always undervalued by even Canucks fans, and as the roster turned over during the "rebuild", he became an important veteran off the ice (see: "dad").

Make it right, Allvin.

Not only would I want Tanev back from a fans stand point, but I would do it just to keep the captain happy. Keep making Hughes happy and he may resign without hesitation in a few years when his contract expires. Avoid any future delays like we're currently having with Pettersson.

Tanev would be a welcomed addition to the roster. He should of never been forced to leave in the first place, but our brain dead GM at the time was so enamored with OEL, he left the most important defenseman on our roster hanging. So stupid.

Agreed he should have never left Vancouver. But as a Flames fan, I'm glad we got an opportunity to have a guy like Tanev on our team.

For the other Vancouver posters worried about Tanev's health. Nah. He's good. Look at his stats in Calgary. He'll age nice from a #3 to #5 dman no problem as long as you don't deploy him as a #2 in a Travis Green like d zone system. That's basically putting him in front of a firing squad. The dude is insane and he will throw his body out there for anything. Yes, Tanev missed many games under Green because he's a fricken warrior, but IIRC, most of the other dmen were also missing a ton of games because they all endured insane shot blocking requirements. Once Green was gone, I think man games lost decreased dramatically across the board (IIRC the data correctly). But Tanev was already basically out of that system.

Besides, Tanev's contracts compared to other dmen have always seemed to factor in the man games lost. I'm sure Vancouver could get him back for basically a home town discount, and his age/health ratio actually means he'd be a great mentor working his way back up from the 3rd pairing (ie: Sheltered if after injury) and also give younger dmen more opportunities for ice time to develop. If anything, Tanev's age, man games lost and ability to mentor on and off the ice facet makes him a better fit for the Canucks than a purely healthy one. Teaching young guys how to deal with injuries appropriately is very important. Quite a few guys who did well in Calgary within the last decade had their career cut short to injuries and it really sucks to see (ie: Colborne, Bouma, Monahan, Ferland etc.).

A completely healthy vet laden core is terrible for prospect opportunity. We've seen it here a lot in Calgary. D prospects being sheltered by Tanev knowing they have to up their game for when Tanev needs to take a step back for repairs isn't a bad development system and mentality to have IMO.

Reactions: Nopefully

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
*** Hugues enters the chat ***

KENT Hugues that is...

You guys need to dump Myers ? :)
It'll only cost your late first...
Nice doing business with you !

Uhh, no, that's fine, Myers has been reformed and is now pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad