GDT: HUGHES BROTHERS Devils @ Canucks 10pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Didn't catch any of this one. Woke up and saw 5-2, went back to sleep, woke up 6-5. Saw we gave up three in a row in the third. @Bleedred give me the Vanecek report and anyone else why we weren't good.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Just quickly looking at the TOI... Luke played a solid amount less than every other defenseman. Anyone want to try and explain? Bastian and McLeod under 10 mins... Hate Bastians game this year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just quickly looking at the TOI... Luke played a solid amount less than every other defenseman. Anyone want to try and explain? Bastian and McLeod under 10 mins... Hate Bastians game this year.
Not much pp time. Played more than his partner Miller but with us leading they were mostly playing the other 2 pairings. Luke got spotted in for the odd shift with Siegenthaler but didn’t play PK like Nemec and the other D.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Vitek still allows 5 goals? I have absolutely no faith in him as a starter now.
1701867845810.gif

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Chose not to watch this game because my sleep cycle has been f***ed for the past week and I needed to get back on track.

How hard was everyone shitting their pants in the 3rd period?

It got really dicey after Vancouver tied it up. Board was on the verge of imploding....

It was a generally happy board until halfway through the 3rd.

Hughes parents looked pissed we won. Lol

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
For those who didn't see it. Nico save percentage is 1.000. key block on a goal mid game (or whenever it was).

Then vitek later saved his ass after Nico dispydoodlin on the pk ..

Then defense and Vitek decided to play again the game of raising our blood pressure.

I still say start Vitek tomorrow. But I understand how most of y'all feel about it. I want him to regain some of his confidence.

I don't really follow the AHL team too much, but what type of system do they play down there? Is it anything like Ruff's?

They say, (lebarge said a few games ago) that they play almost the same system... Maybe subtle tweaks.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Didn't watch the game but those Vitek highlights, sheesh. I can't remember what goalie it was (maybe Cory) that could not control a single rebound towards the end of their NJ tenure but that's what those reminded me of.

Also, I really don't want to use the whole "riding the hot hand" goaltending strategy anymore. It's clearly not been working for us. We should just alternate every single game, no back to back starts, keep the goaltending predictable (in terms of who is playing) from night to night. Maybe it will help shoot a bit of confidence into them.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
It makes sense to give Luke a lighter night in a game you're winning heavily, he's gonna play more this year than he ever has. NCAA schedule is a lot of things, but long ain't one of 'em.

However, playing him less probably also helped the 'nucks come back so, just glad we got the dub

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't catch any of this one. Woke up and saw 5-2, went back to sleep, woke up 6-5. Saw we gave up three in a row in the third. @Bleedred give me the Vanecek report and anyone else why we weren't good.
He was shakier than normal in the 1st period. There was a rebound on literally every shot and Ray Ferraro was (in his own words) “Harping” on him. Saying these are routine saves and he looks shaky and you can tell he has no confidence.

And then in the 3rd he seemed to be fine, until giving up another absolutely brutal rebound that led to to the game tying goal with minutes left in regulation after we were up by 3. Bratt scored with like 33 seconds left in regulation to win it and there wasn’t enough time really for him to sink us.

There was never a time that I questioned if we were gonna win this game, but he made things very uncomfortable.

I’m sure Ruff will play him on Thursday, but he better think about not playing him.

He just continues to show that last playoffs destroyed him here and he won’t get any better here. There’s absolutely no coming back from that for him. I honestly wonder how many more 2 goal against games he’s gonna have if we don’t only allow 10-12 shots.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
He was shakier than normal in the 1st period. There was a rebound on literally every shot and Ray Ferraro was (in his own words) “Harping” on him. Saying these are routine saves and he looks shaky and you can tell he has no confidence.

And then in the 3rd he seemed to be fine, until giving up another absolutely brutal rebound that led to to the game tying goal with minutes left in regulation after we were up by 3. Bratt scored with like 33 seconds left in regulation to win it and there wasn’t enough time really for him to sink us.

There was never a time that I questioned if we were gonna win this game, but he made things very uncomfortable.

I’m sure Ruff will play him on Thursday, but he better think about not playing him.

He just continues to show that last playoffs destroyed him here and he won’t get any better here. There’s absolutely no coming back from that for him. I honestly wonder how many more 2 goal against games he’s gonna have if we don’t only allow 10-12 shots.
I hope Rogarski helps him with the rebound control and they work on it.

He won’t.​

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think there are just too many things to read and too many options to react so everyone gets a little slow and confused until they’ve played it for a long while with consistent teammates.

Even then, the decision tree is complicated and gets screwed up.

On the play we are discussing, as a forward getting back into the zone I need to decide.

Are the Devils winning the puck clean? Probably not.

If not, where are the other 2 forwards? *look around for my teammates, not opponents*

Based on where we all are, decide if I help apply pressure, go to the slot, or go to the half boards. *look around for my teammates again to make sure nobody else made the same choice I did*

—————

To me, seems like a decision tree that is too long and includes actions I don’t want the players to have to do.

And the Devils need to make those decisions about 200 times a game so a bad tree leads to issues.

Wasn't this also an issue with Hynes? Having a ton of complicated decisions that needed to be made in a millisecond?

Reactions: NJDevs26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad