GDT: HUGHES BROTHERS Devils @ Canucks 10pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Jack Han posted about that on Twitter, basically saying that in any other system Nemec is going to the front of the net and will be there to defend Miller's pass, but with the "swarm" system, he's fine just hanging there to try to add pressure.

So f***ing stupid it makes me want to tear my hair out.

And in this situation, a forward is supposed to be net front, but...obviously no one was there.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Did he? I guess maybe that one chance where he made a pretty nice cross crease save. The rebound was just pushed back into his pad, after which Nico made the save of the game.

No, I don't want him to save every great chance. I just want him to look like the goalies I watch when I watch most other NHL teams. They generally make one or two great saves a game. We are so used to bad goaltending that we settle for too little in hoping to maybe get one great save and only have one or two softies.

That said, there has to be something said for being stuck behind this absolute gong show defense that doesn't cover players or passing lanes and makes the highest risk, lowest reward play every time they touch the puck. They are somehow always in the wrong spot. On shots from the point they are too close to the goalie with the forward in front unguarded in prime deflection position. On closer shots they are fronting the forwards who are again unguarded but this time in prime position to slam home rebounds. Even when they manage to get the puck they can't make a simple flip out of the zone. It either stays in or is an icing. Their futility at clearing is comical and impressively bad.

He made several big saves in the 2nd. Sorry it doesn't meet your expectations. Maybe we should get a Shesterkin, because that's the best you can hope for out of an average goalie.

The swarm sometimes leaves 1-3 players on the Devils unsure what to do so they end up hanging out in zones of the ice where they aren’t preventing passes, covering anyone, or helping the breakout. Its really inefficient at times.

I just don't understand how they still can be so clueless about it at this point.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And in this situation, a forward is supposed to be net front, but...obviously no one was there.
Part of the issue being “a forward”. The 3 forwards all look at each other to try and figure out which one needs to be the one covering the net front.

That decision making process slows the start of coverage and if people decide wrong you end up with too many or no people covering.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Part of the issue being “a forward”. The 3 forwards all look at each other to try and figure out which one needs to be the one covering the net front.

That decision making process slows the start of coverage and if people decide wrong you end up with too many or no people covering.

That is true. Still, Idk what the heck the coach is doing that they still get confused about it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That is true. Still, Idk what the heck the coach is doing that they still get confused about it.
I think there are just too many things to read and too many options to react so everyone gets a little slow and confused until they’ve played it for a long while with consistent teammates.

Even then, the decision tree is complicated and gets screwed up.

On the play we are discussing, as a forward getting back into the zone I need to decide.

Are the Devils winning the puck clean? Probably not.

If not, where are the other 2 forwards? *look around for my teammates, not opponents*

Based on where we all are, decide if I help apply pressure, go to the slot, or go to the half boards. *look around for my teammates again to make sure nobody else made the same choice I did*

—————

To me, seems like a decision tree that is too long and includes actions I don’t want the players to have to do.

And the Devils need to make those decisions about 200 times a game so a bad tree leads to issues.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I refuse to believe that this team can’t play a simple cohesive defensive system AND still be an offensive force.
1701845433570.gif

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
You still can't go back to Akira. Unfortunately.

I'll take the win. Start over in Seattle. Keep Vitek in short leash.
I think Akira can play consecutive starts. It is just he shouldn't of played on back to back nights. Especially after a heavy workload on night 1.

I know Huala scored today and won a ton of faceoffs for Jack but I'm worried about Mercer. He should be stapled to Jack's line.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
who does the newly acquired defenseman replace?
Bahl probably. Filling Graves role is probably too big a task for Bahl this early in his career. Marino needs a steadier partner.

Siegenthaler-Hamilton/Nemec
"New D"-Marino
Bahl/Smith-L.Hughes

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Fun game when we were up 5 to 2 to close the 2nd period out. I knew Vancouver was going to make it close so I'm not suprised they tied it. Just glad they pulled a regulation win out in the end. Big game for Bratt and Jack on offense. Bahl was a +2 with 2 assists and Siegenthaler played practically 27 minutes tonight. Was good to see Nemec get time on the penalty kill as well. Although he was a -1 he had a decent game.

I wonder how different of game this is with Schmid in goal. Vitek was passable but teams knowing he struggles with rebound control can take full advantage of that some nights.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Bahl probably. Filling Graves role is probably too big a task for Bahl this early in his career. Marino needs a steadier partner.

Sigenthaler-Hamilton/Nemec
New D-Marino
Bahl/Smith-L.Hughes
Miller is doing fine. We don’t need to put Luke on his wrong side. His experience is good there, but in NHL it’s better to use him on his natural side. If we are trying to find Bahl replacement, we just need to sit him on the bench or/and ask him to play better.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

I still wish someone had nailed Miller at some point. He got away with running or attempting to run so many of our guys tonight.

The game lived up to its billing as the Hughes boys tag team match. All of them score goals but the biggest night for Jack. And oh my wasn’t Luke’s goal a bullet.

Whew this team really does have to score 6 times to win a game these days. But 4 wins out of our last 5 games is nice.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
After watching the highlights again, I can't really get on Vitek too much for this one. His rebound control sucks, but the defense did him no favors in their coverage, or lack thereof. I actually kind of felt sorry for him after the 5th goal. He had that "I can't believe it happened again" look on his face as he was sitting on the ice. Thankfully Bratt scored late because if we'd lost that one, I think Vitek might have been broken for good. I still don't trust him, and it's entirely possible he'll suck next game, but for giving up 5 goals I don't think he actually played that badly.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I refuse to believe that this team can’t play a simple cohesive defensive system AND still be an offensive force.

Growing pains, man. People got too jazzed up after last year when arguably this was the season they should've had last year where they were gonna be on the bubble the whole year and then sneak in late. The expectations are killing this team in fan's eyes to an extent. They'll still make the playoffs imo but they still need to make a move earlier than most teams on the bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad