Speculation: Hughes and Pettersson's Next Contracts

What will the next contracts be for Hughes and Pettersson?

• Total voters

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hughes isn’t bad at defensive at all, I don’t get why some blow it up worse than it is.

This last year he had a rough go, especially at the start of the year. But hey, so did the whole team. If he can get back to his rookie form, plus a little better, I’d say he’s at least average to slightly above average for a defender. I think he can do that personally.

Reactions: flying v 604

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Charlie McAvoy $4.9M x 3. He signed that two years ago in the same circumstances as Hughes: same age (two months younger, actually), after his D+3 season, 10.2 (c) status. By that point he was probably the most valuable defenceman on a team that had finished with the 2nd highest regular season points total and then went to the 7th game of the finals. And that contract was before Covid and the flat cap.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Makar and Heiskanen set the bar. 9M for Makar and 8.45 for Heiskanen. They're both better defensively than Hughes which is probably why Hughes will want the bridge deal because as of now he wouldn't be worth those figures. Right now on a longer term deal he'd be worth - what? - 7.5?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
As for Pettersson, I'd roll the dice with him and sign him long term. His value is more clear, whereas there are more question marks with Hughes.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
As for Pettersson, I'd roll the dice with him and sign him long term. His value is more clear, whereas there are more question marks with Hughes.

I think both are no brainers. Even at the bottom end Hughes has the potential to make whatever he wants in his pro career.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think both are no brainers. Even at the bottom end Hughes has the potential to make whatever he wants in his pro career.
In general they're both no brainers, yes. I just mean when it comes to dollar figures, it's a little more murky with Hughes at the moment, whereas Pettersson feels a little more "safe". If Hughes takes a long term contract at 7.5 per then absolutely that's a no brainer! Would Hughes himself take that though?

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Can’t believe the salary being thrown around again. Hughes is going to get paid big time and I think it’s going to throw a wrench in managements budget for this year.

too bad the COVID numbers are going up and at this rate we are going to have another lockdown and empty arenas again. Not sure how teams will survive if this goes on long term.
Guess we just plan this day to day….

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Can’t believe the salary being thrown around again. Hughes is going to get paid big time and I think it’s going to throw a wrench in managements budget for this year.

too bad the COVID numbers are going up and at this rate we are going to have another lockdown and empty arenas again. Not sure how teams will survive if this goes on long term.

the whole idea around lockdowns was not to over run hospitals. With vaccines showing that they prevent hospitalization we shouldn’t have to do lockdowns again.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
It's incredibly unlikely we'll get a better C and D to build around anytime soon, so the goal should be term. The bigger problem is when they become the big fish in terms of cap hit, where are the cost controlled players to supplement them? The prospect pool is barren.

Last edited:

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
He's coming up on 22yrs old. Lets ease up on the "Eriksson on defense" label. Dmen take a lot longer to develop at the NHL level than forwards do even in today's NHL.

I may not want to pay Hughes $8M AVV but he's not far off that value. My opinion though.
If you belive Gudbranson, you need 300 games before you learn how to defend in the NHL. :D

Reactions: Hit the post

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Everyone should turn off the news and stop paying attention to Covid "cases". Can we just move on from the hysteria already?

Reactions: flying v 604

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t know if Pettersson is really worth 9 million just yet, he could be worth that but he still has more to show to be worth that kinda money. I think Pettersson and Hughes are in the 7 million territory for now. 9 million seems way too much for Petey.

Hughes isn’t bad at defensive at all, I don’t get why some blow it up worse than it is.

Do you not see how contradictory your statements are? If Hughes isn't bad defensively, then there's no reason why he shouldn't earn Makar/Heiskanen money.

Bridge contracts for either player is really about pushing the cap hit down the road. A $9M x 8 for Pettersson would be a very favourable deal. Honestly, if I'm Francis, I offersheet Pettersson at $10M for the full 7 years. If Benning matches, the Canucks are so screwed that the Kraken benefit, either way.

Reactions: Hit the post

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
All i want for early summer christmas is a 8 year deal under 10 mil for petey. Kids special. Hope the team can stop being cheap f***s and get top of line doctors and the best trainers to make sure he excels and stays healthy.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
Yeah, a team offer sheeting Pettersson or even Garland would be a disaster.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yeah, a team offer sheeting Pettersson or even Garland would be a disaster.
I am all for a Petey offer sheet. One scenario is they let him go and Benning is the fall guy. Draft capital plus literally anyone else believable at GM is better than having Petey. Another scenario is we have Petey signed long term and Benning has even less ability to fix his own mess cause of the Petey deal and gets fired hopefully.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Makar and Heiskanen set the bar. 9M for Makar and 8.45 for Heiskanen. They're both better defensively than Hughes which is probably why Hughes will want the bridge deal because as of now he wouldn't be worth those figures. Right now on a longer term deal he'd be worth - what? - 7.5?

Dont forget the tax rate in Dallas is %36.53 and in Colorado is %41.08 where Vancouver is %52.93.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

If Quinn is open to 8 years at say 8 million and Petey at 8 for the runoured 9.5 number management should\will make that happen.
The cap for those deals is available long-term and by clearing out 3 contracts without using buyouts while still having options to clear another 13 million while already upgrading the roster in the areas Benning wanted to improve in it now opens up the idea of max deals if both players are willing but time will tell.

As for Covid talk, don't want to derail this thread but everyone in charge new numbers would go up once restrictions were eased, it was always about limiting the number of serious cases. Covid like the flu isn't going away and the world isn't going to close down in the scale it did before vaccinations started.

Reactions: NuxFan09

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Charlie McAvoy $4.9M x 3. He signed that two years ago in the same circumstances as Hughes: same age (two months younger, actually), after his D+3 season, 10.2 (c) status. By that point he was probably the most valuable defenceman on a team that had finished with the 2nd highest regular season points total and then went to the 7th game of the finals. And that contract was before Covid and the flat cap.

That was before his ascenion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad