Speculation: Hughes and Pettersson's Next Contracts

What will the next contracts be for Hughes and Pettersson?

• Total voters

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I thought it was time for this discussion and that it deserved its own thread. Pretty straightforward question. Sorry for so many poll options, thought it was the best way to do it. You can choose two options, 1 for Petey and 1 for Hughes. I personally think that given the cap, they both sign 3 bridge deals keeping them RFA at expiration. I think Hughes will get just above 7 and Pettersson just under 7. What do you think?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think they'll definitely be bridge deals. I don't know if they can afford to go long term.

If you asked me this after last season and the bubble my answer would have been drastically different than now. I would think Hughes comes in less than Pettersson but with them both having the same representation we could see a situation where they play hard ball to get matching deals.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I just put the contracts I'd give them.

Hughes should be given a cheap bridge and Myers should be traded asap.

EP gets something in the range of Barzal's

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Does 5 years get them both to UFA? I chose 3 yr bridge but would not be surprised if they go for the straight to UFA deal.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Smart agent so bridge for both. 5.5 x three for Quinn and 6.5 x three for Petey.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d lock up both long term(buying low), but I expect bridge deals for both of FA/JB are negotiating these deals.

Reactions: Nucks2477

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think 5 years would bring Pettersson to UFA (8 years in league and 27 years old). Not sure for Hughes though as he would not be 27 yet... at least I think this is how it works but I stand to be corrected.

Reactions: supercanuck

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Surprised to see more than one say Pettersson will get more. I know Quinn had a tough year but he was playing lots of minutes all year. Probably means more in negotiations than getting injured like Petey.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think a bridge will be more palatable for both sides in both cases. Who the hell knows what figure they land on with the way this last year and a half has gone.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I thought it was time for this discussion and that it deserved its own thread. Pretty straightforward question. Sorry for so many poll options, thought it was the best way to do it. You can choose two options, 1 for Petey and 1 for Hughes. I personally think that given the cap, they both sign 3 bridge deals keeping them RFA at expiration. I think Hughes will get just above 7 and Pettersson just under 7. What do you think?
Elias will definitely get more than Hughes. $6M for Hughes on a bridge and $7.5MM for Elias

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Pettersson gets the Aho. His ppg over 3 seasons gets it done (worried about an offersheet).

Hughes gets 3 years and more than $6 to make him highest paid D on team.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think they'll definitely be bridge deals. I don't know if they can afford to go long term.

If you asked me this after last season and the bubble my answer would have been drastically different than now. I would think Hughes comes in less than Pettersson but with them both having the same representation we could see a situation where they play hard ball to get matching deals.

I also think both have been anointed big stars before they actually are. Both have things to prove. EP has to stay healthy and is not yet a PPG player. Hughes has to learn to play defence.

A bridge deal makes sense on many ways.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
In an ideal world, I would bridge Pettersson and lock up Hughes long term. With Pettersson I don't see him reaching that MacKinnon/Matthews level we all thought he would after his rookie year. It seems more along the line that he was mature for his age and NHL ready and it got us expecting more to come from his game. I think he tops out at the Barzal/Aho level and bridging him would save money over signing him for a long term contract banking on him reaching another level that I don't think he has.

I would sign Hughes to a long term deal because his offense is already elite and with a good partner and a coach that actually has a system in place I think his defensive issues will lessen as he gains experience. With his disappointing season and the flat cap forcing players to take smaller contracts, I think locking him up long term now would save from an even more massive contract down the line.

Of course with the comically poor cap management of this team, both will likely have to be bridged regardless.

Reactions: jd22

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Pettersson gets the Aho. His ppg over 3 seasons gets it done (worried about an offersheet).

Hughes gets 3 years and more than $6 to make him highest paid D on team.

I have been worried about this scenario ever since the Pearson signing. Given our cap space, serious consideration needs to be given to the fact that these deals need to be done quickly. If either (or both) reach RFA status, an offersheet to either player could put us in serious trouble. Could we even match an offersheet for Pettersson if someone offers him the Aho deal, given the holes we have all over our line up that need to be filled this off season? Hughes wont come cheap either, and I think he'd be closer to 7M than 6M.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Only Petterson can be offer sheeted right? Who is going to offer huge contact for such an unfinished product? It is a big risk to signing team. If it happens Canucks can match as Hughes does not have many rights. They cannot sign Hughes before Petterson. They need to play hardball Johnny Hockey style with Hughes. He has few options.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Also money is dropping off books quickly after next year Ericksson, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby and Luongo and their 19 million are gone. This year Edler, Sutter, Sven, Spooner, Benn and Virtanen will be gone and their 20 million in contracts. With Demko, Petterson and Hughes going to take up that money. Whoever is gm of the Canucks will have a lot of resources to work with in two years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Only Petterson can be offer sheeted right? Who is going to offer huge contact for such an unfinished product? It is a big risk to signing team. If it happens Canucks can match as Hughes does not have many rights. They cannot sign Hughes before Petterson. They need to play hardball Johnny Hockey style with Hughes. He has few options.

I'm not basing this in any real fact but I could see Yzerman in Detroit offer sheeting Pettersson.

He's sitting on a mountain of cap space. They have a good young group that Pettersson would push to the next level. I don't think the stigma of an offer sheet would bother him. And Detroit has a history of great Swedish players.

Again none of this is any real proof or fact, but if anyone was going to, they're in the best position, unless they want to keep the slow build going.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't want JB doing these deals
Double downer.:thumbd:

Have you forgot Jethro Bodine only hires the best! He will not be handling contracts but instead be busy amateur scouting. That’s all he does. His immediate flunky, Weisbrod will handle contracts. He’s an EXPERT on the CBA! Zero worries. Canucks will be a dynasty winning multiple Cups due to the greatest GM in NHL history! Bow to the man, the legend, the god!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If they can pull it off they should break them away for years.

Hughes has been awful at defense. A bridge around 5-6 for his scoring prowess and ability to log minutes.

Pettersson i would try to lock down for 7yrs. With the landscape you may get him at 7-8.5 million and that would be a coup.

Petey 7 x 8.25
Hughes 3 x 5.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad