Speculation: Hughes and Pettersson's Next Contracts

What will the next contracts be for Hughes and Pettersson?

• Total voters

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I just can't see Benning blowing all of his cap on these 2 players as he needs extra $ to try and improve the team through UFA.
I don't know what length of these 2 contracts will be but I think Benning will do everything in his power to have have them both signed for no more than a 10mill combined cap hit.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hughes isnt worth 8 mill a season. He needs to improve defensively to be in the conversation of those two. I still dont think he will every be a true #1 franchise minute muncher because of his size and lack of ability to compete with bigger and stronger forwards who just bully him to get to the net.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just can't see Benning blowing all of his cap on these 2 players as he needs extra $ to try and improve the team through UFA.
I don't know what length of these 2 contracts will be but I think Benning will do everything in his power to have have them both signed for no more than a 10mill combined cap hit.
What are your comp contracts to support $10 mill combined cap hit Jack?

I’m going with around $12.5 mill maybe $13 mill.
$7 mill per 3 for Petey per Barzal deal.
$5.25 mill per 3 for Hughes per McAvoy/warenski/sergachev deals. Goes to $5.75 if he goes 4 to get to a year before ufa.

Reactions: MarkMM

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm also not down on Hughes like some others seem to be, I recognize his weaknesses, but people need to consider how flawed/outdated Green's "system" is. Willingly giving up controlled zone entries to collapse to the slot/net is going to make a lot of dmen look bad, especially smaller/weaker dmen.

I'd still bridge Hughes and pray that Shaw will get Green to re-consider/adjust his strategy.

EP I'd lock up long-term before he becomes even more expensive. He and Demko are the two best players on the team right now(barring a Hughes bounce back).

Size matters especially for defence men. Hughes is playing like a rover and not a good defensive rover at that.
Watch some games and see how often Tanner, Miller, Horat or what ever forward is back checking because Hughes is not playing defence,
The team is searching for a defence man that can play......with Hughes, not for the team.

His weakness is his size and that leads to his inability to handle larger players. Hughes first responsibility should be defence.

Hughes is only 21, thus improvement is highly probable. And it depends on his demands; if he's willing to take a team-friendly AAV on a longer contract, it's worth the risk.
21 or 17, he has been the same size and had the same issues. That will not change.

Playoff teams need BIG defence men, over 6'2" and over 210 lbs.
Size and reach to play defence in the playoffs.

If the team wants a franchise defence man then trade for Jones.
Build from the back out.

If a contract is offered then have it with bonuses, 3 years with no clauses at 3.5 avg that he could achieve up to 4.5 mil with clauses like being a neutral plus-minus player, 50/50 zone starts, PK time. Bonuses for better defensive play not points.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
21 or 17, he has been the same size and had the same issues. That will not change.

Build from the back out.

If a contract is offered then have it with bonuses, 3 years with no clauses at 3.5 avg that he could achieve up to 4.5 mil with clauses like being a neutral plus-minus player, 50/50 zone starts, PK time. Bonuses for better defensive play not points.

Hughes is always going to be small but he's still going to get a bit stronger and faster between now and age 24/25. He's also going to work on his defensive zone reads and other defensive skills. He's not going to be an outstanding defensive defenceman but his brilliance offensively and in transition are valuable and he's going to be paid for those abilities.

Performance bonuses are only allowed for ELC and one-year 35+ plus contracts so the scenario in your last paragraph is not possible. And there is no way that Hughes would sign for three years in the 3.5M - 4.5M range anyway, even with all of it guaranteed. This is a negotiation; you can't just give him what you decide. The recent three-year bridges for very good young defencemen have been in the $4.8M - $5M range.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Size matters especially for defence men. Hughes is playing like a rover and not a good defensive rover at that.
Watch some games and see how often Tanner, Miller, Horat or what ever forward is back checking because Hughes is not playing defence,
The team is searching for a defence man that can play......with Hughes, not for the team.

His weakness is his size and that leads to his inability to handle larger players. Hughes first responsibility should be defence.

Build from the back out.

QH has given up the most high danger chances in the entire NHL. That’s not a joke. The entire NHL. 2nd worst plus / minus in the entire NHL.

All this for the whopping 3 goals he scores.

You pay real defenders big money like Weber, Sergachev, Hedman.

not this little peewee sized rover.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We are about to pay the 2nd worst actual defender in the NHL 10 a boat load of money to skate around and bleed goals against.

what a world.
QH has given up the most high danger chances in the entire NHL. That’s not a joke. The entire NHL. 2nd worst plus / minus in the entire NHL.

You must be fun at parties.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

There is your eight year contract for quinn hughes

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I would bridge Hughes, but sign Pettersson long term.

Theres still some doubt for Hughes due to his defensive issues.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

What do we feel this would make Hughes worth on a similar deal?

Heiskanen superior defensively, Hughes superior offensively?

Wouldn’t mind signing Hughes to a similar but lower dollar deal. Even in the scenario where his defense stays meh, having a 70+pt dman is still damn valuable. How many 70+pt dman are there in the league?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Hughes should be less.
Heiskanens defensive play compared to Hughes is a larger gap than the offensive play

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Wouldn’t mind signing Hughes to a similar but lower dollar deal. Even in the scenario where his defense stays meh, having a 70+pt dman is still damn valuable. How many 70+pt dman are there in the league?
He first has to play 82 games and reach 70+ pts. Pace does not mean shit. Untill he scores 70 pts you should pump the breaks. A lot of players start strong and fail to maintain production in the last 2-3 months of the season.
I'd rather he scores 50 and plays good defence than score 70 and defend like Tyson Barrie.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well that’s the bare minimum it will take to get that term. It’s also the floor of what would occur after a bridge. That new tv deal and a covid bounce back might have Quinn in the 10m+ range just by nature of the market bouncing back.

I don’t think going big now is the worst idea. It’s unfortunate that it’s not even really an option.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

What do we feel this would make Hughes worth on a similar deal?

Heiskanen superior defensively, Hughes superior offensively?

I’d rather have Heiskenan over Hughes. Just a preference for an all around game like AP over an offensive dynamo like Karlsson. EK hasn’t seemed the same without Methot who was a great fit as a partner, and also due to his injuries. AP can basically play with anyone.

I think the same applies for Miro vs Hughes. Hughes need to find a Tanev type partner. Miro can play with virtually anyone.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

This has nothing to do with context. Nothing to do with the non-existent defensive system he plays in. It's QH plain and simple.

Thanks for the clarification.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Heiskanen earning $22mm in the first three years of his deal. Whether Hughes is bridged or signed long-term—that is A LOT to pay for RFA years and will likely be referenced as a comparable by CAA.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad