Value of: Hudon

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Like who beside Byron and Shaw (who has close to negative value)

Byron for a 1st or 2nd
McCarron for a 6th or 7th
De La Rose for a 4th or 5th
Plekanec for a 3rd

We can kill our excess depth by unloading that aren't skilled forwards or playmakers, we actually need guys like Hudon for our rebuild. Guys above can fill in well in the middle six or bottom 6 of contending teams who need depth.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Lehkonen is younger, much better defensively and a better goalscorer.

I'd take that over a smaller 1 dimensional playmaker. Hudon might have a year or 2 where he put ups 40 pts, but he's not an every game player. Lehkonen is.

Why would we give up on a rookie who just scored 30 points?

Because you think he's established himself as a one dimensional player after literally his first year in the NHL based on your thorough analysis of watching Hudon play every game + whatever team you cheer for?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Byron for a 1st or 2nd

We can kill our excess depth by unloading that aren't skilled forwards or playmakers, we actually need guys like Hudon for our rebuild. Guys above can fill in well in the middle six or bottom 6 of contending teams who need depth.
McCarron is not really relevant here. IMO he has like a 15% of making the team

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why would we give up on a rookie who just scored 30 points?

Because you think he's established himself as a one dimensional player after literally his first year in the NHL based on your thorough analysis of watching Hudon play every game + whatever team you cheer for?
Where did I say you should give up on him?
I said I wouldn't keep him over Lehkonen.
And yes I watch a lot of Habs games.

Thanks for playing.

Reactions: bryan1966

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If he doesn't make it then great, one less winger to worry about.
The problem is the bigger picture. You have the following guys and the only locks in the top 6 are: Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Danault, Tatar.
1. Hudon
2. Lehkonen
3. Armia
4. Scherbak
5. Byron
6. Shaw
7. Deslauriers
8. Peca
9. Plekanec (lock due to milestone)
10. DLR
---
11. Mac
12. Shinkaruk

That's 15 forwards (excluding Mac & Shinkaruk) and I didn't even get into the situation on D which leads me to believe we'll start the year with 8Ds.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The problem is the bigger picture. You have the following guys and the only locks in the top 6 are: Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Danault, Tatar.
1. Hudon
2. Lehkonen
3. Armia
4. Scherbak
5. Byron DEADLINE TRADE
6. Shaw INJURY RESERVE
7. Deslauriers 13TH FORWARD
8. Peca
9. Plekanec (lock due to milestone) DEADLINE TRADE
10. DLR DEADLINE TRADE
---
11. Mac AHL
12. Shinkaruk AHL

That's 15 forwards (excluding Mac & Shinkaruk) and I didn't even get into the situation on D which leads me to believe we'll start the year with 8Ds.

Ideally it will be as bolded (see quoted post)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Ideally it will be as bolded (see quoted post)
I agree with the plan you have but what do you do until the deadline? We'll still have a surplus of players and won't respect the 23 man roster limit. Also Shaw will most likely be healthy by season opener so LTIR is not an option.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I agree with the plan you have but what do you do until the deadline? We'll still have a surplus of players and won't respect the 23 man roster limit. Also Shaw will most likely be healthy by season opener so LTIR is not an option.

Look, I just make the end goal, it's up to Bergevin to do the work and make it happen.

I think having the bolded lineup will help us going forward.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Lehkonen is younger, much better defensively and a better goalscorer.

I'd take that over a smaller 1 dimensional playmaker. Hudon might have a year or 2 where he put ups 40 pts, but he's not an every game player. Lehkonen is.

I don't know where you pull this "one dimensional playmaker" thing from, Hudon brings much more to the table than that. Lehkonen definitely stands out in his play without the puck but his play with the puck is very lacklustre outside of his shot. Both players are valuable in their own way but a forward's job is to contribute in scoring and Hudon is the more talented player in that, without a question imo. And they're one year away from each other so it's not like age makes much of a difference at this point.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Look, I just make the end goal, it's up to Bergevin to do the work and make it happen.

I think having the bolded lineup will help us going forward.
Fair enough, I just hope MB is paying attention to this and we don't get caught with our pants down having to waive a good player (like CGY did a few years back with Byron).

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He's a great playmaker that plays C but he's not playing C in camp for a team desperate for a good playmaking C

tumblr_mg0mnmYoqI1qdrcyyo3_250.gif

And yet him potentially being a better winger doesn’t disqualify the fact that he’s mostly player c in his career. Montreal likes him at wing for some reason.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
No point for Montreal to trade him, I doubt he fetches a return worth it for the Habs anyways. Like others say theirs some clear candidates to trade before him... Byron and Shaw being obvious choices but even Tatar, DLR, Deslauriers (Although personally I like Dlo and would keep him) could be traded before Hudon. I think this kid just has more value to MTL then any other team. However, if trading him helps fix our LD hole I would listen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's a great playmaker that plays C but he's not playing C in camp for a team desperate for a good playmaking C

tumblr_mg0mnmYoqI1qdrcyyo3_250.gif

he hasn't played center in a few years, he's mainly a LW, high IQ good skills, a playmaker but he can snipe it as well. Lacks the physical tools, size, strength, speed, skating. Not going anywhere imo, worth more to the Habs then on the open market. The Habs should be keeping players like him. Young, cheap, smart, skilled, solid two way game.

And yet him potentially being a better winger doesn’t disqualify the fact that he’s mostly player c in his career. Montreal likes him at wing for some reason.

since being drafted he's mostly been at LW, in the AHL the moved him to center on a line with Ghetto Hudon Holloway, they did well together for a few games and then Lefebvre broke them up and moved him back to LW and he stayed there the rest of his AHL games.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Byron for a 1st or 2nd
Plekanec for a 3rd

I would keep De la rose for now his value is higher than a 4th and he is on a friendly contract for 2 years.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
You did say to trade him in "a gamble like Mike Reilly".

I would want a guy like Shea Theodore back for Hudon
You're severely overrating Hudon or underrating Theodore if that's what you'd want. I was talking about young PMDs who shoot left. Someone who's stuck behind a stacked team a la Jordan Schmaltz. And I guess I'm higher on Reilly than most, since I hardly consider him 'garbage'.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You're severely overrating Hudon or underrating Theodore if that's what you'd want. I was talking about young PMDs who shoot left. Someone who's stuck behind a stacked team a la Jordan Schmaltz. And I guess I'm higher on Reilly than most, since I hardly consider him 'garbage'.

Or you are underrating Hudon.
He scored 30 pts last year on the worst offensive team in the league and looked incredibly snake-bitten while doing so.

Reilly got traded for a 5th round pick last tdl. Hudon is definitely worth more than a 5th round pick...
You said you want a guy who shoots left a la Jordan Schmaltz, but he shoots right. He also averaged only 10 minutes of ice time last year in the nhl. It would be dumb to trade Hudon for someone like that.

Furthermore, the players you want back are guys that would battle for a bottom pairing spot. Your reasoning to trade Hudon was that the habs had too many forwards. If we trade Hudon for a defenseman, we would have 10 defenseman signed...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Or you are underrating Hudon.
He scored 30 pts last year on the worst offensive team in the league and looked incredibly snake-bitten while doing so.

Reilly got traded for a 5th round pick last tdl. Hudon is definitely worth more than a 5th round pick...
You said you want a guy who shoots left a la Jordan Schmaltz, but he shoots right. He also averaged only 10 minutes of ice time last year in the nhl. It would be dumb to trade Hudon for someone like that.

Furthermore, the players you want back are guys that would battle for a bottom pairing spot. Your reasoning to trade Hudon was that the habs had too many forwards. If we trade Hudon for a defenseman, we would have 10 defenseman signed...
Which is why I said a la Schmaltz since I know he's a RHD. Theodore is a former first round pick coming off a season where he was almost 0.5PPG as a rookie... You can say all the stuff you want about Hudon but your assessment here is way off. Hudon is not even close to being worth Theodore.

I said a player that plays D and who might be expendable because he plays behind a stacked D, which is why I gave Schmaltz as an example. Someone in a similar situation. You're probably right that I should have specified that the player should ideally be waiver exempt. Anyway I don't know the other 29 teams in the league in and out which is why I made this thread. I don't even dislike Hudon, I'm just bracing myself for something that might happen since I don't see a market for Shaw and the management has always been meh on Hudon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad