Confirmed with Link: Hudler to Panthers for 2016 2nd and 2018 4th

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It still wasn't true, we got a 2nd and a 4th. But yes, crying over spilt milk at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's some good perspective. It's an odd case with a guy coming off a 70 point season not getting a first, but there are plenty of mitigating circumstances.

NHL is a what have you done for me lately league. Glencross had 20 goal or was on pace for 20 goals for four seasons before the trade last year.

The guy retired because of how little interest there was in him. It's nutty. Hudler's biggest problem was his lack of production during stretches this year after a monster season. That, and I'm not sure you'd classify this guy as a playoff prototype.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
NHL is a what have you done for me lately league. Glencross had 20 goal or was on pace for 20 goals for four seasons before the trade last year.

The guy retired because of how little interest there was in him. It's nutty. Hudler's biggest problem was his lack of production during stretches this year after a monster season. That, and I'm not sure you'd classify this guy as a playoff prototype.

this I think is the biggest determining factor.

moon*

Mirtle is one of the few good journalists covering Toronto and generally pretty trustworthy as he doesn't 'break' news often and only reports rumours when insider info happens to fall into his lap; he doesn't rely on trade rumours to stay relevant. No idea why people are so mad that he said something about Calgary that turned out to be true.

Because for some people if media members post things they disagree with it means they are just shills for other teams. People having different opinions is too hard for them to deal with.

In this case some overrated Hudler's value so rather than think that they could be wrong it was easier to believe that Mirtle was spreading false information (ruining his reputation while doing it) to trump up Toronto's players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Well, lately he's been about a point per game. ;)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Forgot to mention, all the best to Huds. Hopefully FLA signs him after this season, he's awesome with young offensive prospects. Gonna miss him for sure.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well, lately he's been about a point per game. ;)

I think that helped Calgary get some value out of him.
If didn't get on this little run and had like 25 points in 50 games; I don't think there'd be a GM in the league willing to part with a 2nd.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're right.

But the biggest key sounds like it's playoff performance. Compared to a guy like Dale Weise, his value might be considered lower simply because of their most recent playoff performances.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You're right.

But the biggest key sounds like it's playoff performance. Compared to a guy like Dale Weise, his value might be considered lower simply because of their most recent playoff performances.

It's weird, and I know there are outliers so, don't bash me too much, smaller skill forwards will either disappear or shine in the playoffs.

BT just said he could have held on, but the risk would have been a possible worse return. If Florida went another way here; Calgary could have been in some major trouble had no one really wanted Huds. It would have been Camny 2.0.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Reported on Twitter that scouts were very torn on Hudler because of the horrible playoffs he had last season, and considering that's the only reason most teams would want him, it makes sense. That plus the abundance of other forwards out there, plus the fact that everyone knew he wasn't signing in Calgary, pretty hard to get a 1st+. And let's not kid ourselves, he was nonexistent for 75% of our season, I figured a 2nd+, and I'm happy with it.

Horrible playoffs? He was our 2nd most productive player.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's weird, and I know there are outliers so, don't bash me too much, smaller skill forwards will either disappear or shine in the playoffs.

BT just said he could have held on, but the risk would have been a possible worse return. If Florida went another way here; Calgary could have been in some major trouble had no one really wanted Huds. It would have been Camny 2.0.

Yeah, it makes sense. The longer you wait, the more teams can drop out of the running. If you're holding someone at or near the top of their position in the market like Russell, you can afford to wait because there will still be teams interested no matter how late you push it. If you hold onto Hudler you risk the number of other comparable players outnumbering the number of interested teams.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He had a couple of big point games mixed with several games where he was shut down completely. I think GMs probably would rather someone who contributes every game.

Sure he was shut down several games but we were a 1 line team it was very easy to shut them down because of it. Words like terrible/horrible are thrown around way to easily.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sure he was shut down several games but we were a 1 line team it was very easy to shut them down because of it. Words like terrible/horrible are thrown around way to easily.

So if he's on the top line in the playoffs, he'll be shut down and invisible. If he's on lines 2 or 3, he might put up a few points. Other than that, he might as well not be on the team. That's why Detroit let him walk in the first place.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
So if he's on the top line in the playoffs, he'll be shut down and invisible. If he's on lines 2 or 3, he might put up a few points. Other than that, he might as well not be on the team. That's why Detroit let him walk in the first place.

Your missing my point if we had a 2nd or 3rd line so that the other team couldn't simply load up against our top line it would make a difference. Look at the roster that was in the playoffs and tell me who outside the top 3 would even make another team think twice? Simply put he can't carry a team but that doesn't make him bad. And lol he was let go due to money.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

There's no sugar coating it, Mony and Hudler had rough playoffs last season. I think almost everyone who watched them could agree. And it indeed was reported as the reason scouts and teams were torn on him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There's no sugar coating it, Mony and Hudler had rough playoffs last season. I think almost everyone who watched them could agree. And it indeed was reported as the reason scouts and teams were torn on him.

I don't disagree that he struggled but our 2nd most productive player wasn't horrible. He shouldn't have been expected to be our #1 producer, people only expected it because he played out of his mind to get us in the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
AgeOfSamBennett

Then under custom user title you can put "19 years old" and update it accordingly.

I believe this was Anglesmith's suggestion so only do it if he's ok with it.

:laugh: Yeah, that was my idea. It was supposed to just be "AgeOfBennett," though. More dramatic that way.

I don't plan on changing my name any time soon, but I'd love it if someone had that username/UT combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad