Confirmed with Link: Hudler to Panthers for 2016 2nd and 2018 4th

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty whatever return, but for an aging UFA winger rental whose game isn't exactly built for the playoffs I'll take it. Calgary has been doing pretty well with 2nd rounders recently.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Reported on Twitter that scouts were very torn on Hudler because of the horrible playoffs he had last season, and considering that's the only reason most teams would want him, it makes sense. That plus the abundance of other forwards out there, plus the fact that everyone knew he wasn't signing in Calgary, pretty hard to get a 1st+. And let's not kid ourselves, he was nonexistent for 75% of our season, I figured a 2nd+, and I'm happy with it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Reported on Twitter that scouts were very torn on Hudler because of the horrible playoffs he had last season, and considering that's the only reason most teams would want him, it makes sense. That plus the abundance of other forwards out there, plus the fact that everyone knew he wasn't signing in Calgary, pretty hard to get a 1st+. And let's not kid ourselves, he was nonexistent for 75% of our season, I figured a 2nd+, and I'm happy with it.

That's some good perspective. It's an odd case with a guy coming off a 70 point season not getting a first, but there are plenty of mitigating circumstances.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Decent return. I don't know why some people thought he was valued as high as Ladd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Decent return. I don't know why some people thought he was valued as high as Ladd.
its a terrible return and no one was predicting as much as Ladd got, we were predicting less by a very good prospect. Treliving got 3rd line value for a 1st line player. This was awful.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
You Calgary people seem to be great hockey fans and humble people, or is it just I came into this thread from Vancouver thread.. anyways hope you a good draft & rebuild.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
its a terrible return and no one was predicting as much as Ladd got, we were predicting less by a very good prospect. Treliving got 3rd line value for a 1st line player. This was awful.

Yes people were predicting Ladd value. He's a player playing on the 1st line of a one-line team, and he had a down year.

Aug 3, 2010
It was an even trade. Not much available to work with for Calgary management - he wasn't likely to be re-signed due to the upcoming Gaudreau/Monahan contracts and was underperforming this season.

Team isn't making playoffs. Pretty clear that front office did not want to lose him for nothing. Their hands were tied.

Not retaining a single dollar on the contract was also a priority.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Both Panthers and Flames sites have confirmed 2nd and 4th. Sounds like he's confused

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

moon*

1st line player on a bottom 5 team and not really playing up to that 1st line tag either this year.

Just because you are mad that all the media guys you called shills were right doesn't mean you have to overrate Hudler now.

It was a fine return and exactly what anyone should have expected for a guy like Hudler.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just to clarify, Mirtle still isn't correct on this. If the Flames were "literally asking for a 2nd," they wouldn't have gotten more than a 2nd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just to clarify, Mirtle still isn't correct on this. If the Flames were "literally asking for a 2nd," they wouldn't have gotten more than a 2nd.
not just that but I am basing this being a poor deal based on other deals made, not what some writer says

moon*

Are people really that petty they are going to try and use the 4th as some sort of way to discredit Mirtle?

LOL

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Mirtle is one of the few good journalists covering Toronto and generally pretty trustworthy as he doesn't 'break' news often and only reports rumours when insider info happens to fall into his lap; he doesn't rely on trade rumours to stay relevant. No idea why people are so mad that he said something about Calgary that turned out to be true.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hard to get a "great pickup" that way when the 1st we get this year will (hopefully) not be shopped around, given how it's likely it'll be a top 5 pick.

Using a couple second rounders and a meh prospect might be enough to land someone like Rychel in the off-season. Among others. Maybe using them to move up a few spots, say we finish 4th, etc.

I really don't mind this deal. Huds was good on this team, for sure, but I don't think we'll see this team get much worse without him :laugh: I trust BT more than any other GM we've had in a long time, if he pulled this deal; it was the best one out there for Hudler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad