Speculation: Hronek value?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Unless he has another gear, Hronek is far closer to maxing out with a Justin Faulk deal ($6.5) than the recent $9 million plus club.

And I guess I should clarify I mean in the long-term, not his next RFA deal they are negotiating now.

They'll either give him a Klingberg deal that locks him up really long at a more reasonable hit (less than 7) and gamble that's a value or we'll see another bridge that falls below $5 million short-term.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I mean what do you consider an overpayment for him? Guy is good offensively but still clearly needs to be sheltered from playing against top elite talent. At this point I wouldn't mind paying somewhere along $5M, maybe more, for a long term contract considering his offensive output and potential continuous growth on defense.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Last season he was playing like 25- 27 minutes a game and you think he is worth around 3 million ?. Should be 5 +

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Last season he was playing like 25- 27 minutes a game and you think he is worth around 3 million ?. Should be 5 +
He was forced to play 25-27 minutes. He'll be getting 2nd pair minutes, this season, if Seider plays well, which is about what Hronek should be paid for. Outlier years should always be considered as such, especially for d-men.

Edit: Upon further review of his stats, he has averaged 23 min/game, the last two seasons, but they are still outliers as we have yet to have fielded a competent defense corps. Detroit should be careful in offering him more than what his value to the team (going forward) will be worth. I have no problems trading him if Hronek feels differently. Now's not the time to be handing out big contracts that will have adverse effects on our team when they are competing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I guess it remains to be seen if these defensemen contracts will continue being inflated going forward or if this off season was an anomaly. Defensemen contracts always lag behind forwards. If you're going to have very good but not perennial Norris finalist defensemen making close to 10m then you're going to see forwards start signing for 12m+ and something will have to give under the current cap structure.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd try to lock him down long term for something in the $6 - 6.5 million range with no NMC or NTC. On that deal he would be very easy to move. I'd prefer not to gamble on a bridge deal and then have his production take off with more talent being brought onto the roster and then start talking about $7.5 or $8 million as his bridge deal expires.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd try to lock him down long term for something in the $6 - 6.5 million range with no NMC or NTC.

Yeah I think that's the right play.

That's exactly what I was trying to express when I brought up a Klingberg type deal. Get him at a little over his current value but over a long deal so that by the end hopefully it's a total sweetheart.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

It was 23 minutes a night, and he should have only been playing 19 to 20. The guy was not good on the PK and was in part responsible for how bad our PP was. He should not be playing more than 20 minutes a night moving forward.

Filip Hronek - NHL Profile

2 minutes a night on the PK for a guy that loses his board battles and can't clear the front of the net is 2 minutes too many. Seider should eat those minutes and either Lindstrom or Stecher should be an option for some PK duties as well.

I'd guestimate that because Hronek is a mid to lower tier 2nd pair guy that isn't that strong defensively he gets 3.8 to 4.4.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

But on next seasons, Seider will be playing those minutes,because he is REAL ONE to handle them on a winning way, and will be underpaid on his next 9M contract after ELC.

Hronek is valued 4.9M with a 3-year deal.

Yzerman will go short term, and at some point, will trade him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd try to lock him down long term for something in the $6 - 6.5 million range with no NMC or NTC. On that deal he would be very easy to move. I'd prefer not to gamble on a bridge deal and then have his production take off with more talent being brought onto the roster and then start talking about $7.5 or $8 million as his bridge deal expires.

Yeah I think that's the right play.

That's exactly what I was trying to express when I brought up a Klingberg type deal. Get him at a little over his current value but over a long deal so that by the end hopefully it's a total sweetheart.

Hronek is not a guy that you keep on your team if you want long term success. Just because he played first pair minutes for our dumpster fire teams does not make him a first pair defenseman.

Here's a list of the top paid defensemen in the NHL.

NHL Rankings

Paying Hronek 6 to 6.5 makes him the 25th to 35th highest paid defenseman in the league, and there is no way he belongs in the discussion for being a top 35 guy in the league. Hell, I don't think he belongs in the discussion for top 60. For reference, CHARLIE MACAVOY is #60 on the defense pay scale. #50 is Shea Theodore, #40 is old man Duncan Keith narrowly edging Colton Parayko.

There are maybe 2 guys in the 40 to 60 range that Hronek is better than; Danny DeKeyser and Anton Stralman.

Additionally, Hronek isn't so good that you want to make him untradeable. 6+ million for a guy makes him really hard to move. Impossible if you're dumb enough to give him a NMC when he's nowhere near a franchise cornerstone player.

Giving Hronek that kind of contract is how you end up perpetually bad, and we're trying to not be that.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
But on next seasons, Seider will be playing those minutes,because he is REAL ONE to handle them on a winning way, and will be underpaid on his next 9M contract after ELC.

Hronek is valued 4.9M with a 3-year deal.

Yzerman will go short term, and at some point, will trade him.
Why would he trade him exactly?

I'm all for dealing players to accumulate draft picks but at some point you have to hang on to good ones. Hronek is a good defenseman and he's 23 years old. He's not a top pair guy but he's a solid middle pair.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hronek is not a guy that you keep on your team if you want long term success. Just because he played first pair minutes for our dumpster fire teams does not make him a first pair defenseman.

Here's a list of the top paid defensemen in the NHL.

NHL Rankings

Paying Hronek 6 to 6.5 makes him the 25th to 35th highest paid defenseman in the league, and there is no way he belongs in the discussion for being a top 35 guy in the league. Hell, I don't think he belongs in the discussion for top 60. For reference, CHARLIE MACAVOY is #60 on the defense pay scale. #50 is Shea Theodore, #40 is old man Duncan Keith narrowly edging Colton Parayko.

There are maybe 2 guys in the 40 to 60 range that Hronek is better than; Danny DeKeyser and Anton Stralman.

Additionally, Hronek isn't so good that you want to make him untradeable. 6+ million for a guy makes him really hard to move. Impossible if you're dumb enough to give him a NMC when he's nowhere near a franchise cornerstone player.

Giving Hronek that kind of contract is how you end up perpetually bad, and we're trying to not be that.

I believe the flaw here is you're comparing previously signed contracts to a new one today. Prices are always going up.

Signing Hronek to that deal now would indeed be an overpay at the front with hopes it's a value 4 years down the road when the cap rebounds and starts going up and after all those new deals get signed, suddenly he's paid below his market value. It's a risk, the way the Klingberg deal was a risk at the time.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005

I'm all for dealing players to accumulate draft picks but at some point you have to hang on to good ones. Hronek is a good defenseman and he's 23 years old. He's not a top pair guy but he's a solid middle pair.

As long as he’s paid as such, he can remain a wing til he retires. But paying a second pair d man as a 1st pairing guy is not the move.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think he's worth holding onto for a season or two but the idea to trade him should also be considered if/when you're looking to change the dynamics of your 2nd pair.

Edvinsson is coming up in 2-3 years. He's a puck mover. In an ideal world he's paired with a Jan Ruuta or Erik Cernak type as a safe and steady guy. Hronek is not a safe and steady guy.

There are internal replacements coming to take his spot on PP1 (Leddy and possibly Seider after a season or two) and adequate and less expensive replacements coming to fill the PP2 slots (Edvinsson, Johansson)

Because you want your second pair (that he inevitably falls into) to be a defensive stopping pair and Hronek does not fit that mold.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

On my eye, he is not decent defensively.

Yzerman will want

A) size
B) defence at defence

Hronek won't offer either.

But he'll find a taker easily, because some other GM will overvalue points.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I believe the flaw here is you're comparing previously signed contracts to a new one today. Prices are always going up.

Signing Hronek to that deal now would indeed be an overpay at the front with hopes it's a value 4 years down the road when the cap rebounds and starts going up and after all those new deals get signed, suddenly he's paid below his market value. It's a risk, the way the Klingberg deal was a risk at the time.

Prices went up on the average #1 defenseman. I'm not under the assumption that Hronek is a #1 defenseman, or even a #2 defenseman, but a #3 or #4 guy.

Bench, I think you've got a case of a common ailment on this forum known as 'Ken Holland brain'.
Common side effects include, but are not limited to, considering Danny DeKeyser a $5 million defenseman and Darren Helm worth 3.8 million. Saying, "We like our team", the uncontrollable urge to kick tires, and diarrhea of the butt.

I'd recommend watching the following teams to cure yourself of this affliction; Vegas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and New York Islanders.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
On my eye, he is not decent defensively.

Yzerman will want

A) size
B) defence at defence

Hronek won't offer either.

But he'll find a taker easily, because some other GM will overvalue points.
I think it's early to say Hronek won't offer defense. As I said he's only 23 years old and he was playing as the #1 Dman on a team with mostly crap defense. And he's not big but it's not like he's Jakub Kindl out there, bailing out of plays to avoid getting hit.

A legit top defensive pair with Hronek on the second pair would make a world of difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad