Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The trades where both sides are happy are actually the most annoying because the fans of both teams are pissing on one another trying to prove they are happier.

A fleecing is always better because one side is like "our management sucks" and then everyone gets tired of dunking on them after a month.
I think I understand what you're saying. It's like if we traded @OgeeOgelthorpe to the Vancouver board for a bag of pucks, the Nucks posters would be like "our equipment manager sucks."

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think I understand what you're saying. It's like if we traded @OgeeOgelthorpe to the Vancouver board for a bag of pucks, the Nucks posters would be like "our equipment manager sucks."

Et tu, Jaster?

giphy.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you end up paying 7 million for a 5 million defenseman then that kind of is a 'gotcha'. And that's what Vancouver's going to end up doing. If you pay a defenseman more than 5 mil then they better be able to carry their own pairing.

Hypothetical: Quinn Hughes is injured. Ian Cole becomes Hronek's top pairing partner for 22 minutes a night. Does Hronek look like a 7 million dollar defenseman there? I'd bet no.

Meh he looked like a top 2 or 3 dman in Detroit and is now playing like an even better one in Vancouver while entering his prime.

If they lose their number one dman and their number 2 ends up having to carry that load theyll be glad they overpaid by a mill or 2, if it even is an overpayment. Consistent offensive dmen dont grow on trees

Reactions: Konnan511

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you end up paying 7 million for a 5 million defenseman then that kind of is a 'gotcha'. And that's what Vancouver's going to end up doing. If you pay a defenseman more than 5 mil then they better be able to carry their own pairing.

Hypothetical: Quinn Hughes is injured. Ian Cole becomes Hronek's top pairing partner for 22 minutes a night. Does Hronek look like a 7 million dollar defenseman there? I'd bet no.
Right cause he has never played with a defenseman stylistically just like Ian Cole before and looked good.

(See season he played with Olli Maatta)

Also defenseman that consistently put up points are always going to command/deserve $ on the market. They are harder to come by than people on here realize.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
is "Hronek is only worth 5 million" the hockey equivalent of an octogenarian complaining that fast food hamburgers used to cost a quarter?

Reactions: jaster and Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
For instance, Nick Jensen got a 3 year 4mil AAV extension during last season with the Caps :dunno:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Meh he looked like a top 2 or 3 dman in Detroit and is now playing like an even better one in Vancouver while entering his prime.

If they lose their number one dman and their number 2 ends up having to carry that load theyll be glad they overpaid by a mill or 2, if it even is an overpayment. Consistent offensive dmen dont grow on trees

Hronek was easily our best D last year and our best player outside of Larkin. No idea how people can deny this. The guy is incredibly efficient at skating the puck out of his own zone and down the ice.

I love Seider, but he has not been better than Hronek at this time. People just don't watch closely, assume Seider is currently better than he is because he has the size, some physical tendencies, he can skate, all those things that an ideal top D would have. The reality is though, he just hasn't taken that step and performed at the level he is imagined by most around here.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hronek was easily our best D last year and our best player outside of Larkin. No idea how people can deny this. The guy is incredibly efficient at skating the puck out of his own zone and down the ice.

I love Seider, but he has not been better than Hronek at this time. People just don't watch closely, assume Seider is currently better than he is because he has the size, some physical tendencies, he can skate, all those things that an ideal top D would have. The reality is though, he just hasn't taken that step and performed at the level he is imagined by most around here.
I’m one of Hronek’s biggest fans on here, and I don’t see how you could make this argument.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Oh brother. This shit should just be closed lol.

Good for Hronek for hitting his stride but uh Seider is and was better at 20/21 than Hronek who is in his prime at 26.

Mo's prime is still out there.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hronek was better than Seider for like the 1st 20ish games last year but after that Seider was the better overall defenseman. Hronek is a great 2/3 guy on a contender. If you can put him with a better dman like a Hughes then he can play top pair. If he is the guy anchoring the pair, he is better suited as a 2nd pair #3 dman. He's like a slight step below a guy like Kronwall, who I think was a bit better of a two way player than Hronek is right now.

I still think this deal was shrewd cap management by Stevie. I think Hronek was pushing for like a 8x7 kind of deal and Stevie didn't want to lock himself into that kind of cap hit long term with who he had in the system. Some would argue you sign the deal and then deal with it when it becomes an issue, but that is a risky proposition if you have an offensive dman that could get pushed out of the top PP unit and/or off of your 1st forward line 5 on 5. All of a sudden you have a dman that looks very overpaid, and you might have to eat salary or add picks. Again that isn't an issue now but in 3 years it might be.

Reactions: Frk It

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I think it would take 2 bags of pucks at least!

Seider has been better than Hronek in all 3 of his seasons, and there is no argument to support that not being the case. Stats and eye test both go Seider's way, and I am a fan of Hronek.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Hronek lead the entire team in scoring with a Tales from the Crypt Danny DeKeyser as the second best DMan on the team. Hronek is worth well over 5mil a season.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

I think Hronek got way too much hate here but he'll never be able to carry a pairing on his own with the way he gets abused in his own zone.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I feel like after recent events, I need to back @OgeeOgelthorpe on this...yes @Oddbob ? But at the same time...fu*k it.

Hronek is ass!

I actually believe hronek is a serviceable 4-6D but he is probably about to get overpaid and vancouver fans will eventually start comparing his promise and skills with when tyler myers was there and they grow resentful because he had a great 10-12 game stretch in october and early november 2023.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Hronek may not be as good as Seider but he's a hell of a lot closer than anyone would ever assume if they were just going off of how Wings fans talk about him

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad