Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hope they keep this Hughes - Hronek pair together, to push both caphits up. :D

Hughes will push Hronek to 8M deal, and Hronek will push Hughes to 11M deal.

And then they will have same crap at 2nd and 3rd pairs, in a cap hell, like they have now.

It's nice that 2 guys will work together, but man, they should be just split to have a solid Top4.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We go like 15 years without drafting a .5 ppg defenseman and then we draft Hronek and people shit all over him.

Will never make sense to me.

I don't remember him taking that big of a beating here. He was definitely criticized but not like Dekeyser or Ericsson.

Still, I think part of the criticism was that when it was clear Cholowski was a bust we got really excited that Hronek turned into something and expectations probably got too high. After the failure of Cholowski had faded Hronek was being judged against those high expectations.

He's a good dman. Honestly for me Stevie trading him is the biggest indication of where he thinks the Wings are at in the rebuild. The answer being not that close. You don't trade Hronek if you're close. You trade him if you think this team is still lacking a lot of higher end talent.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't remember him taking that big of a beating here. He was definitely criticized but not like Dekeyser or Ericsson.

Still, I think part of the criticism was that when it was clear Cholowski was a bust we got really excited that Hronek turned into something and expectations probably got too high. After the failure of Cholowski had faded Hronek was being judged against those high expectations.

He's a good dman. Honestly for me Stevie trading him is the biggest indication of where he thinks the Wings are at in the rebuild. The answer being not that close. You don't trade Hronek if you're close. You trade him if you think this team is still lacking a lot of higher end talent.
Eh, I saw some pretty bad takes over the years. And the GDT's were often a shit show. (Not to say he doesn't have flaws, he often had games where his play in his own end was a mess. But big picture wise he was always a net positive player with the offense he brings).

Probably my favorite bad take was that he doesn't have any standout offensive traits and he puts up points essentially by way of magic.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Just glad to see Hronek go to a fan base that is knowledgeable of hockey and can appreciate his skills. He deserves it after the beating he took around here.
93490B01-64E6-41CA-8592-00C4A33573C2.gif

I do agree though, that he was better than the fanbase, on average, gave him credit for. One argument someone made a while back still comes to mind… that he was a poor passer, poor shooter, poor puck carrier, poor facilitator, and just literally lucked into all his point because he played with guys better than him. “What is he actually good at, offensively?” was the sarcastic question. Still blows my mind.

I always liked Hronek and felt he was underrated. I hope for nothing but success for him in Vancouver, and am happy to see him succeeding with Hughes.

Eh, I saw some pretty bad takes over the years. And the GDT's were often a shit show. (Not to say he doesn't have flaws, he often had games where his play in his own end was a mess. But big picture wise he was always a net positive player with the offense he brings).

Probably my favorite bad take was that he doesn't have any standout offensive traits and he puts up points essentially by way of magic.
Lol I literally read your post right after submitting mine. But yeah, same. Like, tell me you don’t know the game of hockey without telling me you don’t know the game of hockey.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You trade Hronek because he's fools gold and will want to make more money than we should comfortably pay a #3/4 guy. And Detroit replaced him on RD with an upgrade in Gostisbehere as their #3/4 guy for 275k less than Hronek makes.

Right now he's doing great with Hughes carrying the real load and it's making Hronek look much better than he really is. I have my gripes about Hronek because what I value most in a defenseman is very different than what Hronek provides, but I dont think he's bad per se. I value someone like Walman much more because he can transition the puck better, and because he can defend the crease and intercept passes much better than Hronek does. But Walman also doesn't generate offense as well, so I understand there's a trade off.

Henkka touched on it a bit; Hronek looking good next to Hughes will push both their cap hits up and make a team with shallow depth unable to get even deeper. Hronek wouldn't have the kind of defensive partner on Detroit that can shelter him the way Hughes does so he wouldn't do as well here.

Good for Hronek. Good for us because the trade landed Detroit ASP who looks terrific in Skelleftea right now. Considering Ghost is around as a stopgap on RD for this season and hopefully the next 3 or so, it's a win/win.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Henkka touched on it a bit; Hronek looking good next to Hughes will push both their cap hits up and make a team with shallow depth unable to get even deeper. Hronek wouldn't have the kind of defensive partner on Detroit that can shelter him the way Hughes does so he wouldn't do as well here.
Hronek playing really well with a good partner, on a top pairing, in good minutes, on a team thats winning a lot right now absolutely will push up his cap hit.

Thats what happens when a good player plays well and the team is winning hockey games and saying that likes its a bad thing makes you sound like an ex girlfriend lol.

Hronek has been a solid number 2 or 3 dman for years, was drafted in the second round and still got more hate than just about anyone on this board during the rebuild. Its still going on while hes doing really well in Vancouver, but this time its about his potential cap hit

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hronek played on this team during a period where no one was going to escape being downgraded from the playing amongst a complete and total void of talent. No matter how talented players are it's a team game. I am happy to hear it's working out, at least someone benefited from the Datsyuk trade for us giving up Chychrun

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Lol what is this revisionist history about Hronek not being downright abused by many of y’all over the years? I felt like Hronek’s only cheerleader many nights on this board. It was like playing whackamole responding to all the bashing comments. Y’all treated him like a pariah! I’m not letting you get away with this! Lol.

That said, Hronek is an imperfect and inconsistent player. I’m glad they’re loving him in Vancouver but over the course of a season his warts will come out. No denying he has them but he’s still a net positive player and playing with a guy who can skate his way out of a bad pass has to help.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hronek playing really well with a good partner, on a top pairing, in good minutes, on a team thats winning a lot right now absolutely will push up his cap hit.

Thats what happens when a good player plays well and the team is winning hockey games and saying that likes its a bad thing makes you sound like an ex girlfriend lol.

Hronek has been a solid number 2 or 3 dman for years, was drafted in the second round and still got more hate than just about anyone on this board during the rebuild. Its still going on while hes doing really well in Vancouver, but this time its about his potential cap hit
“Hronek is going to get paid because he’s found a defense partner who brings out the best in him. Now Vancouver has TWO guys playing and producing like top defenseman. Sucks for them!” Lol.

Also, Hronek is absolutely gonna be internally capped at Quinn’s salary. They will shut down any talk of him making more than $7.8M, which will look cheap anyway in a year or two (it already looks hella cheap for Quinn).

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lol what is this revisionist history about Hronek not being downright abused by many of y’all over the years? I felt like Hronek’s only cheerleader many nights on this board. It was like playing whackamole responding to all the bashing comments. Y’all treated him like a pariah! I’m not letting you get away with this! Lol.

That said, Hronek is an imperfect and inconsistent player. I’m glad they’re loving him in Vancouver but over the course of a season his warts will come out. No denying he has them but he’s still a net positive player and playing with a guy who can skate his way out of a bad pass has to help.
I don't really trash our guys, hell, I think I give pretty long leashes to a level of shame (Zadina, Cholowski, Rasmussen for a long time around here)

Reactions: dj4aces

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
“Hronek is going to get paid because he’s found a defense partner who brings out the best in him. Now Vancouver has TWO guys playing and producing like top defenseman. Sucks for them!” Lol.

Also, Hronek is absolutely gonna be internally capped at Quinn’s salary. They will shut down any talk of him making more than $7.8M, which will look cheap anyway in a year or two (it already looks hella cheap for Quinn).
Yep,its not the gotcha some people think it is lol

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Wish we had Hronek right now. Ghost has been a fine replacement tho

Interested to see what his extension will be. If its $7+ then that’s sketchy imo

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wish we had Hronek right now. Ghost has been a fine replacement tho

Interested to see what his extension will be. If its $7+ then that’s sketchy imo

Imo, the longer plan with Hronek was, that we are gonna open a slot for Edvinsson, but not yet. And that's why short-term solution like Gostisbehere was signed. Long-term comittment with Hronek was never a fit on Yzerman's plans.

Even though Hronek is now thwriwing there's he is very near to be the next overpaid problem, for Canucks.

Could have been problem for us (with overpayment) too.

And also, these 1st + 4th rounders did bring us DeBrincat. Replacement asset Gostisbehere did cost only money, as well as Kubalik.

In the past we had:
- Hronek
- Kubalik
- Donovan Sebrango

No we have:
- DeBrincat
- Gostisbehere
- 2nd round pick

(1st and 4th rounder moved on the both deals) DET got NYI 1st 17th overall (Pellikka) and are sending worse 1st of BOS/DET to Ottawa at 2024.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

How dare you.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yep,its not the gotcha some people think it is lol

If you end up paying 7 million for a 5 million defenseman then that kind of is a 'gotcha'. And that's what Vancouver's going to end up doing. If you pay a defenseman more than 5 mil then they better be able to carry their own pairing.

Hypothetical: Quinn Hughes is injured. Ian Cole becomes Hronek's top pairing partner for 22 minutes a night. Does Hronek look like a 7 million dollar defenseman there? I'd bet no.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The trades where both sides are happy are actually the most annoying because the fans of both teams are pissing on one another trying to prove they are happier.

A fleecing is always better because one side is like "our management sucks" and then everyone gets tired of dunking on them after a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad