Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Vancouver scored 5 goals last night. Hronek was -1 with no points and 1 shot in over 25 minutes TOI.

Do you remember when he used to play that much?
I do, thats a standard stat line for him in that role.

Fleece.

• Haha
Reactions: Wisp

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Vancouver scored 5 goals last night. Hronek was -1 with no points and 1 shot in over 25 minutes TOI.

Fleece.

I like how you cherry pick one not as good game when he has had a good start to the year.

Reactions: Frk It

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Fleece.
He's playing with Quinn Hughes, he's going to be playing that much every night and they've been a positive pair so far this season. Weird to try to bring him down for playing 25 mins in a win against the Panthers because he had a minus and no points. Quinn likes him as a partner and if that makes Vancouver better it's a positive trade for them because he is an incredible player for them.

I can imagine St. Louis fans laughing at the end of last year "look how bad Detroit is, Jake Walman playing top pair minutes" - while true we were bad, Jake Walman and Seider was a good thing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's playing with Quinn Hughes, he's going to be playing that much every night and they've been a positive pair so far this season. Weird to try to bring him down for playing 25 mins in a win against the Panthers because he had a minus and no points. Quinn likes him as a partner and if that makes Vancouver better it's a positive trade for them because he is an incredible player for them.

I can imagine St. Louis fans laughing at the end of last year "look how bad Detroit is, Jake Walman playing top pair minutes" - while true we were bad, Jake Walman and Seider was a good thing.
Yeah, strange take for sure, overall he's got 3 pts in 5 games and +5, while logging the most TOI of any Canuck (a few seconds more than Hughes), so they're getting their money's worth.

Meanwhile the Wings are winning without him, and Ghost is putting up 1PPG so far. A trade can work out for both teams involved.... hopefully ASP gains a few pounds and makes further improvements, then fans of both team can be happy about the trade.

Reactions: Ezekial

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hronek is a good dman but I think Stevie was looking at the future and saying I got Seider coming up to a big contract and Ed isn't too far behind and those two both have more potential than Hronek, so it makes more sense to get something for Hronek off a good year than probably lose him as a UFA.

You can only have so many large contracts on a cap team and I don't think Hronek was ever going to be on of ours. I think he is ideally suited as a #3 and a sort of Kronwall light in terms of effectiveness (not style). Stevie is banking on Seider, Ed, Wallinder, Ajo, Buium, and now ASP giving him cheaper and potentially better depth long term.,

Reactions: sepster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hronek is a good dman but I think Stevie was looking at the future and saying I got Seider coming up to a big contract and Ed isn't too far behind and those two both have more potential than Hronek, so it makes more sense to get something for Hronek off a good year than probably lose him as a UFA.

You can only have so many large contracts on a cap team and I don't think Hronek was ever going to be on of ours. I think he is ideally suited as a #3 and a sort of Kronwall light in terms of effectiveness (not style). Stevie is banking on Seider, Ed, Wallinder, Ajo, Buium, and now ASP giving him cheaper and potentially better depth long term.,

Ed had little to do with trading Hronek. No smart GM trades a currently pretty good NHL'er for someone who hasn't yet made it. He traded Hronek because he liked the price he got and probably wasn't invested long term in Hronek. You wait for guys like Ed or other youngsters to push you to make a move first, otherwise you are doing poor asset management. If Ed was a big reason, he would be up this season already and Steve wouldn't have added 3 UFA/vets to the regular blueline.

Even after signing Mo and Ray we still have a good cap situation. Those are the only 2 current young players due for major raises.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
Hronke is not a top pairing defenseman. Always liked him but he’s best on second pair with a solid partner
I keep hearing this but he’s been fantastic so far. Our right side is so thin that they have loaded up on the top pair so far so good. Players evolve maybe it’s just a case of maturation we will see if they can keep this up for a full season. I know he didn’t have the partner fit with the wings he struggled with Chariot.

We will see I think it was a fair hockey trade and not the “fleece” some homers like to project

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Hronek is like many offensive defenseman who come into the league: offensively gifted with a keen ability to get a play moving with their skating or shooting or passing, and like many of them, has a questionable amount of defensive acumen or commitment.

Hronek’s offensive abilities were obvious and he was effective as a uptempo play-driving D, but he made a lot of mistakes trying to make those offensive plays: leaving his partner out of position to chase, firing off a puck at the wrong time with no support behind him leaving for breakaways the other way, etc. Pretty normal stuff.

Hronek saw a lot of improvement his last year with us and some of his mistakes were masked up by having Mattaa cover for him as a partner. Hronek is a fine player as long as you use him in the right way and know what he’s going to give you. Sounds like he’s found a good situation in VAN, more power to him. I suspect he didn’t fall into Stevie’s plans due to our timeline versus his cost and belief in his ability to develop the defensive side of his game.

No shots at Hronek. Wish him well.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I keep hearing this but he’s been fantastic so far. Our right side is so thin that they have loaded up on the top pair so far so good. Players evolve maybe it’s just a case of maturation we will see if they can keep this up for a full season. I know he didn’t have the partner fit with the wings he struggled with Chariot.

We will see I think it was a fair hockey trade and not the “fleece” some homers like to project
He was almost a point per game and solidly positive in goal differential in 25 games alongside Maatta. Then Maatta got pneumonia and they were never reunited.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Hronek was never as bad as many here suggested, but I will say that take him away from Hughes and still give him high minutes, he will look bad lots if his partner isn't a safe kind of guy like Maatta. He is a risk reward player on his own to me. He will have lots of great offensive nights and then lots of not great nights where he is running around his own end. Him having a great partner though, covers a lot of his negative qualities, so if he stays with Hughes he will likely be pretty good.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Maatta showcased what he could be with a more responsible/smarter partner it really wasn't anything to do with defensive responsibility or anything either, just someone who thinks the game better.

The previous 2 seasons he spent time with Leddy/Marc Staal and Dekeyser/Nemeth - there was a time when all of those guys were capable players but not by the time they were with Hronek - with the exception of Staal who was a solid 3rd pair d for us but just couldn't cut it up the lineup. Edit: actually all 4 of those guys we're "fine" as bottom D the problem was they were slotted up the lineup.

It was a great trade for both teams.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hronek was never as bad as many here suggested, but I will say that take him away from Hughes and still give him high minutes, he will look bad lots if his partner isn't a safe kind of guy like Maatta. He is a risk reward player on his own to me. He will have lots of great offensive nights and then lots of not great nights where he is running around his own end. Him having a great partner though, covers a lot of his negative qualities, so if he stays with Hughes he will likely be pretty good.
But they have Hughes, so the trade makes sense for them.

Yeah, sometime there can be 2 winners in a trade. I don't think there's a need to bash Hronek, he's not Zadina.

Reactions: lomekian

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maatta showcased what he could be with a more responsible/smarter partner it really wasn't anything to do with defensive responsibility or anything either, just someone who thinks the game better.

The previous 2 seasons he spent time with Leddy/Marc Staal and Dekeyser/Nemeth - there was a time when all of those guys were capable players but not by the time they were with Hronek - with the exception of Staal who was a solid 3rd pair d for us but just couldn't cut it up the lineup. Edit: actually all 4 of those guys we're "fine" as bottom D the problem was they were slotted up the lineup.

This. No offense to Maatta, but he’s not some magician that catapulted Hronek like the narrative seems to sometimes go. He was simply competent, and good, and better than all of Hronek’s previous partners, some of whom were really quite bad.

Hronek’s not good enough to carry a junk partner, but he’s plenty good enough to shine when his partner is simply functional at least.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This. No offense to Maatta, but he’s not some magician that catapulted Hronek like the narrative seems to sometimes go. He was simply competent, and good, and better than all of Hronek’s previous partners, some of whom were really quite bad.

Hronek’s not good enough to carry a junk partner, but he’s plenty good enough to shine when his partner is simply functional at least.
Maatta and Hronek are about equal on the pecking order. They're just opposites so they work together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad