Speculation: Hronek to Philly

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I want more than just Boldy too, said that a little later, I just really want him included if we are doing it.

There should be a heavy penalty to move that contract. I wonder if we take Loui Eriksson's this off-season that is one I could see.

Vancouver doesn't touch this with a ten foot pole, but Eriksson and Vancouver's 1st for Washington's 1st would be fun.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I guess he could be one of the pluses, but yeah I am sure nobody on the board is surprised I wouldn't make him the main asset in a trade. I don't place that kind of value on him to take on Parise's contract.

Honestly don't really like taking on Parise's contract without us getting a massive killing in the trade. It is a long deal, I don't really see Yzerman taking one on of that length without a significant payment. Boldy to me is their best prospect, pretty comfortably for me in terms of that. Big powerful guy with a heavy shot and will be an immediate presence on the forecheck. Better finishing Kreider kind of guy, I am very high on him.

Min retains half the salary?

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They're up against the cap and need to Sanheim and Carter Hart raises. They don't even have a backup goalie signed.

Gostisbehere is again who I would target with Nolan Patrick and the pick. It's a combined total of $5,374,125 coming to Detroit with $714,166 (currently) going back their way. I'd bet that Hronek is qualified at $4 mil or less, and if not I could see him being shipped out.

Then the price goes up. I want more then that for Hronek and helping someone’s salary situation

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Flyers 1st is nice.

No thanks on Patrick.

I'd want someone else that doesn't have so many question marks.

If Detroit is trading their only current top 4 defenseman, then I'd need more than a mid 1st and a maybe.

The Flyers pick isn’t terrible but I think we need more. Patrick like you said is almost a complete unknown and that pick you hope turns into a Hronek type player. Just doesn’t seem like enough to me

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Here’s 2007-2017 14th picks.

Kevin Shattenkirk
Zach Boychuk
Dimitri Kulikov
Jaden Schwartz
Jamie Oleksiak
Zemgus Girgenson
Alexander Wennberg
Julius Honka
Jake DeBrusk
Charlie McAvoy
Cal Foote

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd do this in a heartbeat

Agreed. Hronek hasn't shown himself to be capable of handling top pairing minutes and I wonder if he's more of a 3rd pairing dman then a 2nd at this point. He has only been putting up points because he has been given 20+ minutes of ice time a night and stapled to the top PP unit. I do think he has the ability to run a PP, but he is a liability at ES and should be treated as such.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to move him while he still has some value around the league. We have plenty of examples of RHD that lost all their perceived value quite quickly. For examples the Sabres waited far too long to move Risto and the Sens waited too long to move Ceci. Getting another 1st + Patrick would be great; if we could somehow get their 2022 1st I'd be all for it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Christien

May 1, 2010
Here’s 2007-2017 14th picks.

Kevin Shattenkirk
Zach Boychuk
Dimitri Kulikov
Jaden Schwartz
Jamie Oleksiak
Zemgus Girgenson
Alexander Wennberg
Julius Honka
Jake DeBrusk
Charlie McAvoy
Cal Foote
The fact that McAvoy fell to 14th is insane :amazed:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The fact that McAvoy fell to 14th is insane :amazed:

And with that said he is also the only one I'd for sure take over Hronek. Maybe Shatty too but I like Hronek's game more. You don't trade 23 year old dmen that are at a consistent 40pt pace one of the worst offensive teams in the league, unless you are upgrading that position or another. You get me a legit #1 center or top pair LD, and we can talk. A probable bust center with lingering health issues and a mid round 1st are not amazing assets. At 14 you pray you get a dman as good as Hronek, especially in this draft. Now next year, if say we grab Clarke this year, he does really well, and someone falls that we really like next year in a deeper draft, maybe I consider it.

If Stevie can pull off some larceny like he did in the Mantha/ Vrana trade where you get a player almost as good (if not better) and a 1st, then yeah I'd consider trading Hronek.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
A member of the Bench collection? Doesn’t that make him more of a sit down guy?

Perhaps.

giphy.webp

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And with that said he is also the only one I'd for sure take over Hronek. Maybe Shatty too but I like Hronek's game more. You don't trade 23 year old dmen that are at a consistent 40pt pace one of the worst offensive teams in the league, unless you are upgrading that position or another. You get me a legit #1 center or top pair LD, and we can talk. A probable bust center with lingering health issues and a mid round 1st are not amazing assets. At 14 you pray you get a dman as good as Hronek, especially in this draft. Now next year, if say we grab Clarke this year, he does really well, and someone falls that we really like next year in a deeper draft, maybe I consider it.

If Stevie can pull off some larceny like he did in the Mantha/ Vrana trade where you get a player almost as good (if not better) and a 1st, then yeah I'd consider trading Hronek.

We are upgrading that position. His name is Moritz Seider. :sarcasm:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Agreed. Hronek hasn't shown himself to be capable of handling top pairing minutes and I wonder if he's more of a 3rd pairing dman then a 2nd at this point. He has only been putting up points because he has been given 20+ minutes of ice time a night and stapled to the top PP unit. I do think he has the ability to run a PP, but he is a liability at ES and should be treated as such.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to move him while he still has some value around the league. We have plenty of examples of RHD that lost all their perceived value quite quickly. For examples the Sabres waited far too long to move Risto and the Sens waited too long to move Ceci. Getting another 1st + Patrick would be great; if we could somehow get their 2022 1st I'd be all for it.

He is definitely a 2nd pairing guy.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
We are upgrading that position. His name is Moritz Seider. :sarcasm:

I know that was sarcasm, but this could end up being true. Ideally you still want at least 4 dmen that can handle 20+ minutes a night. Even if Mo comes in like a 5 year vet Pronger and just owns everything, you still need more dmen. Even Lids had to be backed up by legit 2nd pairs anchored by guys like Kronwall, Vladdy and Chelios.

Unless we luck out and get a Wright/ Bedard type center, we are going to have to build from D out to succeed. You can't do that if we trade off our young established dmen. Sometimes its like people here forgot what having a legit NHL defense is like. You can't have just one guy, especially considering we don't even have a Crosby/ Malkin/ McDavid/ Mathews/ Eichel level center to pair with that number 1 dman.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I know that was sarcasm, but this could end up being true. Ideally you still want at least 4 dmen that can handle 20+ minutes a night. Even if Mo comes in like a 5 year vet Pronger and just owns everything, you still need more dmen. Even Lids had to be backed up by legit 2nd pairs anchored by guys like Kronwall, Vladdy and Chelios.

Unless we luck out and get a Wright/ Bedard type center, we are going to have to build from D out to succeed. You can't do that if we trade off our young established dmen. Sometimes its like people here forgot what having a legit NHL defense is like. You can't have just one guy, especially considering we don't even have a Crosby/ Malkin/ McDavid/ Mathews/ Eichel level center to pair with that number 1 dman.
I wonder if we end up winning the lottery and drafting Power, that a Hronek trade would be considered more. But it would have to be a package that was more Konecny/1st or Cam York/1st.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I wonder if we end up winning the lottery and drafting Power, that a Hronek trade would be considered more. But it would have to be a package that was more Konecny/1st or Cam York/1st.

I think it would help, but even then I'd still argue you want at least 3 solid D on any given defense, especially since we don't have a franchise level forward. Getting Powers gives us a potential anchor pair with him and Seider in a few years. That slots Hronek down to lock in the 2nd pair and maybe 2nd PP unit. Right shots are always hard to come by, so unless Clarke becomes our only good option at our draft spot I don't see the need to deal Hronek, and even if I do, then I wait at least until Clarke is ready to jump into the NHL. You don't want a D filled with 18/19/20 year olds. Having some age spread is a good thing. Dmen typically peak later (unless they are offensive phenoms like Karlsson/ Makar/ QHughes) and play longer.

Hronek was 36th in D scoring. He also led the team in scoring. The only dman above him on a worse team than the Wings was Seth Jones (Clb), additionally if you want to go bottom 10 (ie the non bubble teams) you only add Chychrun (AZ), Hughes (Van), Chabot (Ott), Burns (SJ), Doughty (LA), Reily (Ott/Bos). It should be noted that Hronek is the only one outside Doughty that didn't have another dman in the top 60, and even Doughty had a teammate come in at 65. The wings nearest support was DDK at 111. For those making the greater playing time argument, please note that guys like Mantha, Larkin, Zadina, Fabbri etc. also benefited by the lack of competition and yet they did not produce nearly as well. Larkin, our top scoring forward, finished 76th among centers, not even forwards. The fact that Hronek still continued a very solid 0.5 ppg average on a team this offensively inept is really impressive. I mean to put it into perspective Vrana, who finished with 19 goals, was all of 4 points away from scoring more goals than Larkin had points in a season.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Hronek is going to top out at as your ideal #1 dman, but I think he is very much a Kronwall comparable guy. You don't throw those guys away for a shot at mid round 1st. Most prospects never make it to the NHL. Hronek is very much within our build window still. He is a Right shot which is something we've lacked for years. Thanks to the covid shortened seasons and flat cap I think we have a chance to lock him in at a pretty reasonable deal/ salary that will allow us to fit him in when a guy like Seider is making the big bucks in a few years. He also gives us some buffer for Seider and this years likely top pick.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I can see Hronek in the Kronner spot as the #3D back when were the best team in the league. A top 3 of Seider, Power and Hronek would be filthy. Fill out the last 3 spots with a mix of sandpaper and skill and you will be set on defense.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I can see Hronek in the Kronner spot as the #3D back when were the best team in the league. A top 3 of Seider, Power and Hronek would be filthy. Fill out the last 3 spots with a mix of sandpaper and skill and you will be set on defense.
That's my thought process too. Selling young productive top 4Dmen needs overpayment at minimum.

B/w 4 of 7: AlJo, McIsaac, Wallinder, Lindstrom, Viro, Tuo, Sebrango we're ok.

Add: Werenski/top pair UFA & run 8D, now we're competitive.

Werenski-Seider
Power-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom

+2 of:
McIsaac/Viro/Wallinder (the left over is trade bait/GR)
Tuo/Sebrango (trade bait/GR/bust)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think it would help, but even then I'd still argue you want at least 3 solid D on any given defense, especially since we don't have a franchise level forward. Getting Powers gives us a potential anchor pair with him and Seider in a few years. That slots Hronek down to lock in the 2nd pair and maybe 2nd PP unit. Right shots are always hard to come by, so unless Clarke becomes our only good option at our draft spot I don't see the need to deal Hronek, and even if I do, then I wait at least until Clarke is ready to jump into the NHL. You don't want a D filled with 18/19/20 year olds. Having some age spread is a good thing. Dmen typically peak later (unless they are offensive phenoms like Karlsson/ Makar/ QHughes) and play longer.

Hronek was 36th in D scoring. He also led the team in scoring. The only dman above him on a worse team than the Wings was Seth Jones (Clb), additionally if you want to go bottom 10 (ie the non bubble teams) you only add Chychrun (AZ), Hughes (Van), Chabot (Ott), Burns (SJ), Doughty (LA), Reily (Ott/Bos). It should be noted that Hronek is the only one outside Doughty that didn't have another dman in the top 60, and even Doughty had a teammate come in at 65. The wings nearest support was DDK at 111. For those making the greater playing time argument, please note that guys like Mantha, Larkin, Zadina, Fabbri etc. also benefited by the lack of competition and yet they did not produce nearly as well. Larkin, our top scoring forward, finished 76th among centers, not even forwards. The fact that Hronek still continued a very solid 0.5 ppg average on a team this offensively inept is really impressive. I mean to put it into perspective Vrana, who finished with 19 goals, was all of 4 points away from scoring more goals than Larkin had points in a season.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Hronek is going to top out at as your ideal #1 dman, but I think he is very much a Kronwall comparable guy. You don't throw those guys away for a shot at mid round 1st. Most prospects never make it to the NHL. Hronek is very much within our build window still. He is a Right shot which is something we've lacked for years. Thanks to the covid shortened seasons and flat cap I think we have a chance to lock him in at a pretty reasonable deal/ salary that will allow us to fit him in when a guy like Seider is making the big bucks in a few years. He also gives us some buffer for Seider and this years likely top pick.
Yeah....my ideal spot for him is quarterbacking the 2nd PP unit and being a 3/4 d-man. I think whatever his contract ends up being, this summer, will give you a clear indication as to what the team thinks his future value is. I'm assuming we have him for 4 more years, since he is just now getting past his ELC. That will be an interesting negotiation since I'm sure Yzerman will try for a 3 year deal to keep from buying into FA years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Granted Kronwall wasn't in the league at Hronek's age, injuries being a part of that... But Hronek has a long ways to go still to get to that level, especially in his own end.

Kronwall topped out as #1 D-man in this league, he was a top 15 D-man in the NHL for a decent little stretch. I just don't see that level in Hronek. I hope he proves me wrong, but find that idea to be kind of downgrading what Kronwall really was. Even when he occupied the role of second pairing guy he was a really high end first pairing reputation kind of guy with most around the league pretty much from 08 until the knees gave out.

I guess it is a nice goal to have. We will have to see what being slotted correctly does for him next year. I know there is the temper expectations crowd on Seider, but I really don't see how come New Years, Seider isn't our #1 D-man and playing the heaviest minutes on the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would ask for a lot for him, given how well he has produced at such a young age on some bad teams.

And if I don't get anything that blows me away, I'd keep him. I have not really paid attention to Nolan Patrick for a few years, so can't say if that is a good idea or not. I would be open to trading Hronek for a young LD or Center. But that's about it. If something could be massaged for Werenski, I'd bite on that. Werenski is one of my favorite LD's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad