Speculation: Hronek to Philly

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
DISCLAIMER: So far this is nothing more than a giant WHAT IF... and is pure speculation.

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-flyers-deal-would-be-mutually-beneficial/

To Detroit: Nolan Patrick, Philadelphia 2021 first round pick (14th overall)

To Philadelphia: Filip Hronek

Not saying I endorse this move as it stands. Just posting it for discussion. (Not a chance; maybe, but balance it out by adding X; etc.)

On the one hand, it would take an awful lot for me to want to deal Hronek. But a reclamation center with plenty of potential and another first rounder is at least an interesting start to the conversation...

Reactions: evolutionbaby

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Lots of trade possibilities with Philly considering they have to expose a lot of good talent to the expansion draft. Hronek being 23 makes me a smidge hesitant to move him, but that package would definitely make think. Would basically guarantee that we get a goalie prospect out of this draft, which I think is a high priority in the next 1-2 years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's good value, especially if the plan is to take Brandt Clarke.

It would have the potential to make grabbing a center less of a priority. At the same time, I'm not sure Philly gives up that sort of package if they don't think Patrick is some seriously damaged goods.

Reactions: wingerdinger

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I would not be into it.

Whether you got value out of it would be almost totally dependent upon if you got anyone good with their first-round pick at 14. Nolan Patrick is not really going to fix our problems at center. So, I would rather just keep what we have in Hronek, because he's a good young kid.

We are just starting to get our defense fixed. Why mess that up? It's the only thing we have that's starting to come together.

I'm not a fan of The Hockey Writers.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Man, Nolan Patrick has really not become what was expected of a #2OA draft pick. Not sure I expect Blash to coax any offense out of him TBH. He'll be 23 at the start of next year. Not sure we need a 200ft player with modest skill and scoring as our 1C.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't think we are desperate enough for picks to go to them for a 14 OA pick for Hronek and Patrick thrown in to make the money work - kinda (It would help the Flyers' budget a little).

No. If this is the Flyers coming to us, I don't think they can make it work for just a 14 OA. Add more picks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Probable damaged goods who wants a raise coming off a horrid 9pts/52gp, -30 season & mid 1st "Magic Bean"

...Omg, how can we say no to that offer?

Easy pass. Way too much risk for us, the potential (very small probability) is not worth the risk of our known quantity/quality. Added bonus of making a conference rival deal with their own mess.

Now if it was Konecky+1st for Hronek +2nd, that'd be closer to value, but I'd still keep Hronek. Young, mobile, PM-RHD, career ~.5ppg don't grow on trees.

This could be our vs. of Sergachev for Drouin, but worse, imo.

This has kicking the rebuild down the road even farther written all over it. The Optics aren't "Yeet". Meanwhile Hronek goes on to score 5-6 50pt seasons & competes for a cup or 2.

P.S. -what are the actual odds of a #15OA being a Top6F/Top4D ? How long?
-What is the likelihood of NP rebounding & then elevating to even a 2C level? How long?
-What is the likelihood he gets over his migraines and/or any injury?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Man, Nolan Patrick has really not become what was expected of a #2OA draft pick. Not sure I expect Blash to coax any offense out of him TBH. He'll be 23 at the start of next year. Not sure we need a 200ft player with modest skill and scoring as our 1C.

I think the coaxing offense out of him would be Patrick being fully healthy and staying healthy. No one was really questioning his skill when he was drafted, but he missed a ton of playing time with injuries and the covid mess really hit his career at maybe the worst time.

I look at this deal and think it all comes down to whether or not the Wings think the migraine thing is truly behind him.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I think the coaxing offense out of him would be Patrick being fully healthy and staying healthy. No one was really questioning his skill when he was drafted, but he missed a ton of playing time with injuries and the covid mess really hit his career at maybe the worst time.

I look at this deal and think it all comes down to whether or not the Wings think the migraine thing is truly behind him.

I could be down with it. Take Clarke at our pick, take Svechkov/Cossa/Wallstedt at 14 then Sveckov/Cossa at with the Caps pick depending what you take with 14th.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I could be down with it. Take Clarke at our pick, take Svechkov/Cossa/Wallstedt at 14 then Sveckov/Cossa at with the Caps pick depending what you take with 14th.

Something else to consider is what exactly do people see our window opening. I know in other threads where taking Clarke has been brought up that it's usually followed by, "in a few seasons we then trade Hronek for X." Well, if we think Patrick is going to live up to that 2OA billing, could we likely get a better player than that three years from now?

Even if we don't take Clarke, I can see the appeal of this deal. Say we take Power or Hughes, that's still a kid coming in who, ideally, will be "the guy" on the second pair. Meanwhile, getting a guy who will quickly (ideally) develop into a top6 center would have the potential to give our rebuild a serious kick in the pants.

Or he flops horribly, our blueline is awful, and we tank even harder for the next draft. Which a lot of folks have sort of pushed for anyway.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Maybe, if this happens at draft just before our own pick, and Clarke is still available.

But I wouldn't pull it before that.
I actually think the best odds would be while Philly was on the clock and a guy Detroit loves had slid to 14, but point made.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
DISCLAIMER: So far this is nothing more than a giant WHAT IF... and is pure speculation.

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-flyers-deal-would-be-mutually-beneficial/

To Detroit: Nolan Patrick, Philadelphia 2021 first round pick (14th overall)

To Philadelphia: Filip Hronek

Not saying I endorse this move as it stands. Just posting it for discussion. (Not a chance; maybe, but balance it out by adding X; etc.)

On the one hand, it would take an awful lot for me to want to deal Hronek. But a reclamation center with plenty of potential and another first rounder is at least an interesting start to the conversation...

Pass

If we were going to do this we should have done it last year and taken Drysdale with our 4th overall pick instead of Raymond. Drysdale is a much better prospect than Clarke.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I feel like we waited a decade to find decent RHD. Now we finally have two in Seider and Hronek and folks are ready to auction off Hronek. I really just don't get the logic.

If Nolan Patrick is the guy we hope he can be, do we think Philly is packaging him with their 1st for Filip Hronek? Doubtful. If anything that's a very strong indicator that his health and development are not in a great place.

The 14th overall pick? Meh. Maybe you grab Carson Lambos and hope that in 5 years he's as good as Hronek is now?

I don't get this one at all. Cam York and their 1st maybe.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i fear trading hronek big time . yes he makes blunders but he deals withs an extreme amount of high pressure forecheck situations because on such a bad team . but if he'd been on a good team all these years he would be seriously respected . and in my book you can never be too deep in d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad