Post-Game Talk: Howard wins for the first time in his career

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I'd say so. It's the size that really limits what Tatar and Nyquist are capable of. AA is a sky-is-the-limit player.

I may be seeing things but feels like Howard started playing better after Holland came out and said he's keeping him. Have to wonder if he's been in a bad place mentally wondering if he's going to get traded and stuff like that. Just looks more confident lately.
It's not "size" that limits the ceiling of guys like Gus and Tats...it's them not having one elite aspect of their game, whether that be a physical ability (speed or size) or a skill (elite shot, stick handling, vision) to be a dominant player. Both players are QUICK, not FAST...and there's a big difference between the two. If either Gus or Tats were great skaters they'd be considerably more dangerous, just as they would be if they were 6'2 and 220.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Hmm, really. They're that much more physically dominant? Than TT who was the AHL MVP the year the Griffins won the Calder and currently has 17 goals and 19 assists for the Red Wings? Those points aren't as easy to come by as they used to be. Nyquist has single-handed carried this team into the PO's before. Somehow Holland and the Wings always manage to pull magic out of a hat. Kadri may not be a #1 center either but you find a place for them to thrive. At 4.5 mil Gus is a keeper on any team. I'm surprised a fan would not enjoy their games they've been unreal. The "neuro"-twins in my mind are possibly a bridge (like Hudler and Fil) between the different age groups and play an important role. They were chosen for a reason it's something we have to respect and look to the bright side.

Larkin and AA are just much bigger. Tatar and Nyquist get pushed off the puck all the time because of their size. That's likely to always keep them from taking the next step, but they are still valuable players.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Woah, AA, what a player! :wave: And so very happy for Howard, though the team didn't make it easy for him in this game either.

Ericsson had a good game?

CcdrGBcXIAE1aDf.jpg:large

He pulls his feet together and then thrust them forward with his heels dug in. It certainly isn't a natural hockey stopping motion. I don't think they have to go soccer style to really get at what that means. He was directing the puck in with his skate in a forward motion, that isn't supposed to be allowed.

Technically he was trying to play the puck forward with his feet to his stick. Still have no idea why that should count. Oh well, it made no difference in the outcome thankfully.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you allowed to redirect/kick the puck into the goal as long as your skate don't leave the ice?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Christ AA has only 11:00 of ice time and pots 2 goals? Something tells me Blashill has to play him more.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's not "size" that limits the ceiling of guys like Gus and Tats...it's them not having one elite aspect of their game, whether that be a physical ability (speed or size) or a skill (elite shot, stick handling, vision) to be a dominant player. Both players are QUICK, not FAST...and there's a big difference between the two. If either Gus or Tats were great skaters they'd be considerably more dangerous, just as they would be if they were 6'2 and 220.
True. They have many good/great tools though, size is a more limiting factor for them than anything else imo.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Woah, AA, what a player! :wave: And so very happy for Howard, though the team didn't make it easy for him in this game either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you allowed to redirect/kick the puck into the goal as long as your skate don't leave the ice?

Corsi won't tell a ****. Mike Green was horrible all night long.

Ericsson? Pretty average and DeKeyser/Kronwall were great.

Qnd what does that table tell for us? Exact opposite things.

Corsi's just how mostly forward shot distribution happened in front of defencemen. And shut-down defencemen always look bad because best players play against them.

Forget those distribution tables.

CorsiFor twlls something about a forward.

Corsi% tells something about a team. Forget individuals on relative values and distributions.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
What intelligent Wings' fan has ever suggested that?

The many who have said that the Wings can't get a good player who is a difference maker unless they tank it and miss they playoffs and get a top 5 pick. I can't speak to their intelligence, but it's been a recurring theme this season. Not going to anoint AA as the next superstar, but he's got size, speed and hands and looks promising.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The many who have said that the Wings can't get a good player who is a difference maker unless they tank it and miss they playoffs and get a top 5 pick. I can't speak to their intelligence, but it's been a recurring theme this season. Not going to anoint AA as the next superstar, but he's got size, speed and hands and looks promising.

Well there's a big difference between 4th round picks being "completely useless" as you said and using 4th round picks to find elite talent. A little early to declare AA an elite talent, but time will tell.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Last nights game was very entertaining. Maybe the speed game better suits our roster?

Giving up over 40 shots(including a handful of high quality chances) is a recipe for disaster. If Howard wasn't fantastic Detroit loses that game by 2+ goals.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Giving up over 40 shots(including a handful of high quality chances) is a recipe for disaster. If Howard wasn't fantastic Detroit loses that game by 2+ goals.

Playing devils advocate here. One could say it would spark our offense, (which it looks like it did, at least from the chances we got) and we just may have the goaltending to do it. The realist in me says you're right though, recipe for disaster indeed.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

After the first period the shots were pretty even.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
True. Still gave up too many opportunities for my liking. Going by the eye test I thought Dallas was the more dangerous team last night.

Because they are a dangerous team. I'm not sure what people were expecting last night.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
True. Still gave up too many opportunities for my liking. Going by the eye test I thought Dallas was the more dangerous team last night.

I personally thought the Wings we the more dangerous team in the 3rd.

But the Stars had a ton of chances in the 1st. Howie was great.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
It was a nice win, but dang is it frustrating to watch them behind the net, wind up and slap the puck as hard as they can without taking a look and watch it be held in every single time.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I may be seeing things but feels like Howard started playing better after Holland came out and said he's keeping him. Have to wonder if he's been in a bad place mentally wondering if he's going to get traded and stuff like that. Just looks more confident lately.

Yeah, Howard's in a strange position. On the one hand, you have the team and organization he's been with his entire career. On the other hand, leaving is likely the only way he gets a shot at being a starter again.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
2 great performances in a row for Howard, I mean that's just great if he can keep that up. If he does that we'll have 2 great goaltenders for the rest of the season and Howard might actually be moveable in the off-season.

Edit: Also, I hope the league looks into those filthy moves AA did on that 2nd goal, that's atleast a 3 game suspension imo. That was just too reckless, old man oduya could've easily busted a knee on those dangles :sarcasm:
It was the most important for us to get Howard going. Now hopefully he can build on this. I liked his body language , it looked much better than before. I did not like the 2nd goal though.

It was a good goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad