How would you rebuild the Canucks' defence next offseason?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've always kind of liked Erik Gustafsson's game....but other posters have pointed out that he's something of a 'turnover machine'.

As much as the Canucks need to improve their blueline, you realize how deep a hole they were in. They've been replaying that Avs-Canucks OT game on NHL classics from just a season ago--Pettersson's rookie year.

The Canuck blueliners included Gudbranson; Hutton; Del Zotto; Biega and Pouliot. And it really hit home when the Canucks sent out a d-pairing of Hutton and Gudbranson to kill a penalty against Nathan McKinnon and the Avs lethal pp. Predictably, it didn't end well, but that's all Green could send out there.

So while it's bad right now, it's nothing compared to what it was just a season ago.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've always kind of liked Erik Gustafsson's game....but other posters have pointed out that he's something of a 'turnover machine'.

As much as the Canucks need to improve their blueline, you realize how deep a hole they were in. They've been replaying that Avs-Canucks OT game on NHL classics from just a season ago--Pettersson's rookie year.

The Canuck blueliners included Gudbranson; Hutton; Del Zotto; Biega and Pouliot. And it really hit home when the Canucks sent out a d-pairing of Hutton and Gudbranson to kill a penalty against Nathan McKinnon and the Avs lethal pp. Predictably, it didn't end well, but that's all Green could send out there.

So while it's bad right now, it's nothing compared to what it was just a season ago.

We'll be fine for another year, assuming Edler can still be productive. It's the unknown that is a bit worrisome; what happens with Tryamkin, Tanev, and Rathbone? We could have all 3 or none of them, and I don't think people would be that shocked either way. But even then, if Benning targets the right UFAs (DeMelo being a popular choice in this thread), then maybe we'll be fine.

I wouldn't use the "what aboutism" argument for feeling ok with this defence, though. Just because we've seen a worse blue line doesn't mean our current roster will be a viable playoff team.

Reactions: wetcoast

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
It's the right side of our d corp that could change drastically next year. I would say Tanev and Stecher are both 50/50 to be back next year, that leaves us with Myers. Running a right side with Myers, Tryamkin and Rafferty would be ugly.
Edler Myers
Hughes Tryamkin
Benn Rafferty
...that lineup is not much better than the Gudbranson/Del Zotto year. Hughes alone gives them a hope, but after him .... eesh.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's the right side of our d corp that could change drastically next year. I would say Tanev and Stecher are both 50/50 to be back next year, that leaves us with Myers. Running a right side with Myers, Tryamkin and Rafferty would be ugly.
Edler Myers
Hughes Tryamkin
Benn Rafferty
...that lineup is not much better than the Gudbranson/Del Zotto year. Hughes alone gives them a hope, but after him .... eesh.
I’d be signing Rathbone. Much like Hughes, Rathbone would quickly prove he’s better than our other D. I see our D next season as:
Hughes Myers
Edler Rafferty
Rathbone Juiolevi
Tryamkin
We are going to have a much younger and different looking D. Cap concerns are going to impact our team a lot. Thank you Benning for being terrible.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How would you rebuild the Canucks' defence next offseason?

YnhDJG.gif

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sign Demelo and Dillon. Cheap and effective.

Move Myers while you still can.

Hope one of Rathbone/OJ/Rafferty turn into something resembling an impact defenseman.

That should be the plan.

Reactions: vanuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’d be signing Rathbone. Much like Hughes, Rathbone would quickly prove he’s better than our other D. I see our D next season as:
Hughes Myers
Edler Rafferty
Rathbone Juiolevi
Tryamkin
We are going to have a much younger and different looking D. Cap concerns are going to impact our team a lot. Thank you Benning for being terrible.

That is not a defense that excites me in the slightest. Maybe if I want 9-8 games, sure, but I'd rather win games not having to rely on Markstrom even more than we already do.

Three rookies and two sophomores, once of which hasn't been in the NHL for years, isn't a recipe for success.

Rathbone as the next Hughes, I'd love to see it, not sure if I believe it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rebuilding the Canucks blueline is going to take a lot longer than one season. In fact looking at the contract situation, you could argue they might actually take a step backward, before they can move forward.

Edler is heading into the last year of his contract; and Tanev's return is no better than 50/50. And besides, at this point in their careers, injuries are a constant concern. Myers isn't at the point in his career where he's going to get any better either.

And I agree with other posters; that introducing guys like Rathbone, Raffery or even Tryamkin into the everyday lineup, comes with a lot of risks and the inevitable ups-and-downs. So it might be another year of Benning trolling the UFA market for bargain-basement 'fill-ins'.

Of course the situation might not be so bad if a kid like Juolevi was rounding into form as a bonafide top-four d-man. But it is what it is I guess.

Reactions: timw33

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think that a guy like Mackenzie Weegar would be the perfect partner for Quinn Hughes. He is good on the defensive end and plays the pk. It also, will probably not cost a ton in a trade to get him.

Hughes-Weegar
Byfuglien -Myers
Edler-Rafferty
Tryamkin

I would not bring back Tanev him and Fantenberg were having a neck in neck race to see who was the worst dman last year. You look at any Hughes number away from Tanev and he was a much better player. The problem is when any other dman was paired with Tanev they were unplayable which is why Green had to anchor Hughes to Tanev.

If the Canucks get a compliance buyout for Erkisson. Then they can go into free agency and get a partner for Myers. Or they can hope Edler has a bounce back year and pair him up Myers. And keep Stecher and pair him up with Tryamkin.

If they do get Rathbone he would be great to pair up with Myers considering the success he had with Hughes.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
That is not a defense that excites me in the slightest. Maybe if I want 9-8 games, sure, but I'd rather win games not having to rely on Markstrom even more than we already do.

Three rookies and two sophomores, once of which hasn't been in the NHL for years, isn't a recipe for success.

Rathbone as the next Hughes, I'd love to see it, not sure if I believe it.
Agree. I'm seeing Tryamkin, Rafferty, Rathone, Juolevi all in the line-ups for the next two years. I haven't seen a championship team with that many rookies/sophomores in the top 6. Our 2011 D core was a group of veterans and Tanev who was our #8? We should be looking to compete for a cup.

Tryamkin and Rafferty are the only guys who are going to take a spot for the 3rd pairing, keep our top 4 together because they are the cheapest top 4 options available. Free agency = players getting overpaid. These guys have played pro hockey and have some skill, I'm sure Tanev and Edler wouldn't mind playing with them.

Rathbone/Juolevi is something to talk about for next season when Edler and Benn's contracts are up.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Two simple words: Joel Edmundson.

Throw money at this guy and bring him on over. One often overlooked fact is that the Canucks don’t really have a suitable Alex Edler replacement in their system (ie a top pairing all situations guy). Edmundson is the guy to that can do this in my opinion. He’s youngish, can be signed to a relatively long term deal where we’d still be paying for his best years, and he won’t break the bank like an Alex Pietrangelo would.

If the Canucks have to cut ties with Tanev in order to afford Edmundson, I say do it. Replace Tanev with the cheaper Tryamkin.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Two simple words: Joel Edmundson.

Throw money at this guy and bring him on over. One often overlooked fact is that the Canucks don’t really have a suitable Alex Edler replacement in their system (ie a top pairing all situations guy). Edmundson is the guy to that can do this in my opinion. He’s youngish, can be signed to a relatively long term deal where we’d still be paying for his best years, and he won’t break the bank like an Alex Pietrangelo would.

If the Canucks have to cut ties with Tanev in order to afford Edmundson, I say do it. Replace Tanev with the cheaper Tryamkin.

I like Edmundson, but he’s realistically not really an Edler replacement. Myers on the other hand, he would be an upgrade on...for less.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
In an ideal world, in 1-2 years would look like this. Tanev only if available at a discount for his durability issues.

Hughes Myers
Edler Rathbone
Juolevi Tanev

I really don’t like the Myers acquisition, for the $$$.

This is an ideal scenario. I am very high on Rathbone... though expect he might need more sheltered minutes.

Juolevi, I don’t see as a lost cause quite yet though would be lucky if he ever becomes a regular. Still, they will be looking to give him a shot.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I don't dislike the Myers signing as much as some people, but yeah that contract is looking shaky. I assume we are stuck with him for several years at the least. Management should probably be looking heavily in to what type of defensive pairing will maximize Myers' performance. If there's a specific left-side guy that might best fit Myers, I would start going after that. There's literally nothing in the system to replace Edler and Tanev, and that looks like a catastrophe waiting to happen. We need to make the most of what we have.

And good lord guys, penciling Joulevi in to the bottom pairing is a nightmare. Maybe he'll still turn in to something, but I have zero confidence in his skating and defensive coverage right now. Between Rathbone, Rafferty, and Joulevi, the Canucks will definitely have to experiement and give these guys some opportunity. But none are even close to being proven at the NHL level.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Provided the pick in the Miller trade is taken this year I would:
1. go young.
a. move/don't re-sign Tanev, Benn, Fantenberg
b. test Rathbone, Tryamkin (not so young), Rafferty (not so young), and Juolevi at the NHL level. With the exception of Rathbone, who I think should be a long time Canuck, keep who can stick and move the others. (hesitate to put Woo on this list just yet)
2. move Edler at the deadline, provided at least 2 of the players in 1b show they can make a decent contribution now.
3. finish in a lottery position
4. take a D-man in the first and second rounds (provided a forward isn't clear the better pick)

Leaves Edler, Stecher, Hughes, Tryamkin, Rafferty, Rathbone, Juolevi to start the year

The current D is a mess and taking the above strategy won't be pretty. Ideally they could sign Tanev but I don't think that is going to happen. Stecher is the cheaper and younger asset to keep. The plan should be about acquiring, retaining, and developing younger D-men that are key contributors in two to three years when Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson and Horvat are in their prime and $22.5M in bad contracts are gone. It will be a process of elimination.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I would try to get Weegar out of Florida, Vince Dunn from St. Louis, and Jake Bean from Carolina. Bean is eligible for the expansion draft and stuck behind a stacked Hurricanes defense. Dunn might also be the odd man out in St. Louis. Weegar has arbitration rights and might be too expensive for the Panthers (who already have a lot of money committed on defence). Hard to imagine the Canucks acquiring all three players but what the hey.

Canucks D for 20/21

Hughes Weegar
Bean Myers
Dunn Rafferty

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Hughes Myers
Edler Rafferty
Rathbone Juiolevi
Tryamkin

Yeah, I am sort of in the same boat as you.......
IMO, we need to see what is on that farm, and what they can do

Hughes Tanev
Edler Tryamkin
Rathbone Myers
Brisebois Rafferty
Juolevi

That is 9, and 5 which are rookies to some extent

But let's see what we have..........we almost have to IMO
as Edler and Tanev will be moving on soon enough
and with not a lot of cap to improve the crew with

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Realistically...it kinda feels like we're hemmed in to bringing back largely the same defence corps. The upgrades that might be out there, we either can't afford on the cap...or don't have the assets to spare to make it happen in trade.

So it'd probably be re-signing Tanev and hoping you can get him on a reasonable contract and term. There's your "top-4D" basically locked in with Edler, Hughes, Myers here to stay.

Maybe there's something out there to try to replace Stecher, but i doubt there's anything out there that's going to be cheaper and more effective.

So essentially...i'd be shopping for a different "spare D". Maybe Merrill, Rutta, Beaulieu or something instead of Fantenberg essentially, but it probably doesn't really matter. And hoping that some of the youth step in and contribute, to actually improve the defence.

Casey Nelson is a kind of intriguing case, as a guy who showed some potential, but might be out there. But he's not exactly the experienced vet you want "sitting" as the 7th D, ready to jump in when called upon.

There's just not really any money or assets to do much of anything else though.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
There's just not really any money or assets to do much of anything else though.

I think you're too pessimistic. Don't forget this discussion is supposed to be about next offseason, not this year's (whenever that may be).

As we get closer to the expansion draft, teams with surplus assets will feel pressure to move them before Seattle can grab them for nothing. A patient team could find a good deal on its hands. I know patience isn't Benning's MO, but one can always dream.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sign Demelo and Dillon. Cheap and effective.

Move Myers while you still can.

Hope one of Rathbone/OJ/Rafferty turn into something resembling an impact defenseman.

That should be the plan.

Who exactly is going to take Myers term and salary?

Heck even if they expose him to Seattle, would they take him straight up or would it need a sweetner? (Disclaimer, I'm assuming that he can be left unprotected)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Who exactly is going to take Myers term and salary?

Heck even if they expose him to Seattle, would they take him straight up or would it need a sweetner? (Disclaimer, I'm assuming that he can be left unprotected)

Leaving him unprotected is probably the best shot.

It might take some kind of sweetener to trade him.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
There's an old George Harrison song titled "Got My Mind Set On You"... I never liked it much, but a couple of the lines sprung into my mind on this topic.

It's going to take time, a whole lot of precious time, it's gonna take patience and time, to do it right.

It's going to take money, a whole lot of precious money...

Also, an old Wizard of Id cartoon:

Rodney, how goes the battle?

The situation is fluid, Sire.

What does that mean?

We're up the creek.

Reactions: wetcoast

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
It's not a great defence. To echo others, without very good goaltending last year, we would have been in trouble.

I would aim for a defence that could compete for the cup. To me, that would mean moving Myers, signing Edler and Tanev at team friendly deals, and finding another legit top pairing D to push down everyone down. The two free agents that would change the look of the defence are Brodie and Pietrangelo, and at this point it doesn't matter if it's a right side or left side D.

Hughes - Pietrangelo
Zadorov - Tanev
Edler - Tryamkin

But that's unlikely. Which means, surprisingly, I'd say the key to our defence is keeping Tanev. Even though he's not a #1, he's still so important to our defence. The other key would be prospect development, and really hope one of them becomes better than they're projected.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Edler - Tryamkin

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's the type of defense now where you have to get lucky for it to improve. Either prospects raise it up, or, they luck into a trade/signing. Barring that, what can you really do?

Juolevi stepping up would be a huge boon. Rafferty, Rathbone, Woo and maybe Brisebois? A trade to get Cernak or Weegar would help (Dayal).

Maybe they will trade Demko for a defender if/when they sign Markstrom?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad