How would you rebuild the Canucks' defence next offseason?

Nov 1, 2011
Sign Pietrangelo 7 x $12m
Re-Sign Tanev 2 x $4m
Sign Trayamkin or Stecher 3 x $2.5m

Hughes - Tanev
Pietrangelo - Myers
Edler - Trayamkin/Stecher
Fattenberg

Seems like a pretty good defense

To afford this, we have to clear Eriksson by trading him with an asset or compliance buyout, let Toffoli walk, and trade Roussel with an asset if need be, and trade Baertschi with an asset.

Sutter and Edler are not re-signed to afford Hughes and Pettersson next year.

No need to trade future key pieces like Brock, Bo, or Poldi although 2nds + 3rds + Demko may have to be moved to clear out dead wood.

Reactions: Bob Long

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Re-Sign Tanev 2 x $4m

Hughes - Tanev
Pietrangelo - Myers
Fattenberg

To afford this, we have to clear Eriksson by trading him with an asset or compliance buyout, let Toffoli walk, and trade Roussel with an asset if need be, and trade Baertschi with an asset.

No need to trade future key pieces like Brock, Bo, or Poldi although 2nds + 3rds + Demko may have to be moved to clear out dead wood.

How are you going to afford Markstrom? And follow up question, should we just skip the 2021 draft then? Because we'll be using all our picks to get out from Eriksson, Baertschi, etc.

follow up follow up question, are you comfortable paying Alex Pietrangelo 12m a year in his late 30s?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Re-Sign Tanev 2 x $4m

Hughes - Tanev
Pietrangelo - Myers
Fattenberg

Letting Edler and Sutter go will free up just enough space for one of Pettersson and Hughes. Still need to find a few more millions in space to afford the other.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Re-Sign Tanev 2 x $4m

Hughes - Tanev
Pietrangelo - Myers
Fattenberg

Moving deadweight contracts is expensive but there is the possibility of compliance buyouts and would clear a lot of cap for us.
If we acquired a 12 million dman then we would not put him the 2nd line.
For next year we have 5 dmen under contract and three are pretty well locks.
Hughes elc x
Edler ntc 6m Meyers ntc 6m
Benn 2m Rafferty 700k
Petro is an elite veteran #1 rd and would be a big up grade over the 2-3 Tanev and I would expect him to sign in the 8-10 m range.
There are other dmen ufa who might be an up grade over Tanev but I don't think we can pay to have Meyers or Tanev as third pairing dmen.

Nov 1, 2011
Moving deadweight contracts is expensive but there is the possibility of compliance buyouts and would clear a lot of cap for us.
If we acquired a 12 million dman then we would not put him the 2nd line.
For next year we have 5 dmen under contract and three are pretty well locks.
Hughes elc x
Edler ntc 6m Meyers ntc 6m
Benn 2m Rafferty 700k
Petro is an elite veteran #1 rd and would be a big up grade over the 2-3 Tanev and I would expect him to sign in the 8-10 m range.
There are other dmen ufa who might be an up grade over Tanev but I don't think we can pay to have Meyers or Tanev as third pairing dmen.

If Pietrangelo is a RD, even better, pay him whatever it takes up to $12m, he's a transformative player for our D.

Myers played 3rd pair a bit last year despite his high salary. I try to slot guys in where they perform, not based on salary...or Sutter would be a top 6 fwd.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Let Tanev + Markstrom walk, buyout or trade Sutter, re-sign Toffoli & Leivo, trade Virtanen for some defensive help(Jake Bean from CAR, MacKenzie Weegar from FLA, maybe Nils Lundqvist from NYR given their already set at RHD with Trouba, D'Angelo & Fox)

Tbh, its going to be incredibly difficult given the cap situation we have now and moving forward, re-signing Toffoli should be the priority of the big 3 UFA's, he adds the most value and certainty moving forward, Tanev should just be allowed to walk unless we can get him below what he's paid now for 2 years or less

Reactions: flying v 604

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
If Pietrangelo is a RD, even better, pay him whatever it takes up to $12m, he's a transformative player for our D.

Myers played 3rd pair a bit last year despite his high salary. I try to slot guys in where they perform, not based on salary...or Sutter would be a top 6 fwd.
Yes we sure could use a big ufa upgrade to our teams defence and tossing 12m to petro would certainly fix our d but we got cap issues with a lot of deadwood until most of the bad contracts go away in two years.
If it was just as easy as throwing Aquamans money at the problem then I'm okay with spending it.
We need to clear cap space and have a glut of middle six wingers but we can't afford to give up more high picks and top prospects to clean house.
JB got lots of big decisions and he did unload Gud for something amazingly so we'll have to see.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have a surplus of decent young forwards and more coming.....they've got more than enough depth to acquire a young, up and coming d-man or even two.

The only thing is that when Jimbo has dipped into the trade market to acquire a d-man, it usually produces disastrous results. And the UFA signings haven't been much better over the years.

In fact I don't have a ton of confidence that the Canucks hockey ops department could even identify an impact d-man if one was swimming in their soup. And with the exception of Hughes, their drafts for d-men haven't been a whole lot better either.

At the end of the day, I guess all we can do is to keep our fingers and toes crossed in hopes that one day the Canucks might get it right in trading for a d-man.

Joyride

Jun 24, 2018
We can still improve our D without doing anything crazy. Rafferty will be an offensive upgrade over Fantenberg. Hughes will get even better and the re-addition of Tryamkin could be as good an upgrade as we might otherwise be able to get (with our cap crunch) through a trade or UFA, plus he’s free and probably cheap. I know big T prefers the right side, but I think Green likes his D playing their shooting sides. I’d love to see him line up on the left next to Myers for a huge and imposing third pairing. The Twin Towers doing the monster mash??

Hughes Tanev
Edler Stecher
Tryamkin Myers

Rafferty Benn

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
We can still improve our D without doing anything crazy. Rafferty will be an offensive upgrade over Fantenberg. Hughes will get even better and the re-addition of Tryamkin could be as good an upgrade as we might otherwise be able to get (with our cap crunch) through a trade or UFA, plus he’s free and probably cheap. I know big T prefers the right side, but I think Green likes his D playing their shooting sides. I’d love to see him line up on the left next to Myers for a huge and imposing third pairing. The Twin Towers doing the monster mash??

Hughes Tanev
Edler Stecher
Tryamkin Myers

Rafferty Benn

Keeping tanev and stecher as well as bringing in Tryamkin, likely means no Toffoli. Questionable in they can afford Markstrom too.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Day dreaming a little bit here but
Step 1) lose to Minny and win 1st overall pick
Step 2) trade 1st overall pick to Ottawa for Chabot and 5th overall
Step 3) draft Drysdale 5th overall
Step 4) bring back Tryamkin, let Tanev go this summer and Edler the following summer
Step 5) sign Stecher or equivalent to a roughly $2.5m 2 years deal
Step 6) let Drysdale go back to junior for 1 more season
Step 7) for 2021/22 season dress the following lineup
Hughes-Myers
Chabot-Stecher/equivalent
Tryamkin-Drysdale
Step 8) replace Stecher after his contract with somebody who is defensively reliable. Pay more than $2.5m per if required. The goal long term is to transition Drysdale to top pairing, Myers to the bottom pair, and have a defensively reliable RD playing top 4 with primary PK duty. Will stick with Stecher/equivalent for 2 years due to cap space issue.

Reactions: GiveYourHeadaShake

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
It is time for new blood on the Canuck Defense, but lets take it slow and steady

1. Sign Tryamkin (4 yrs @ 3 Million per)
2. Sign Rathbone (3 year ELC Max)
3. Trade Virtanen + Juolevi to NYR for Nils Lundqvist + Carolina/Toronto 2020 - 1st
4. Trade Stecher + Demko + Ericksson to Detroit for Helm + Edmonton's 2020 - 2nd
5. Resign Tanev 2 yrs @ 4.5 Million per (Home town discount) (No NTC in 2nd year)

2020-2021 2022-2023
Hughes - Tanev Hughes - Myers
Edler - Myers Rathbone -Lundqvist
Rathbone - Tryamkin Tryamkin - Rafferty
Brisebois Brisebois/Woo

Do I think this is a great transition ? It remains to be seen., but the Canucks need to believe and develop their own Defensemen, so this is a start.

My theory for the 2022 year is that we have Rathbone, Lundqvist/Tryamkin and Woo who are all capable of being
3/4 defensemen, so if 50% turn out to be so, well then we are there........I do not like trading Demko

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It is time for new blood on the Canuck Defense, but lets take it slow and steady

3. Trade Virtanen + Juolevi to NYR for Nils Lundqvist + Carolina/Toronto 2020 - 1st
4. Trade Stecher + Demko + Ericksson to Detroit for Helm + Edmonton's 2020 - 2nd
5. Resign Tanev 2 yrs @ 4.5 Million per (Home town discount) (No NTC in 2nd year)

2020-2021 2022-2023
Brisebois Brisebois/Woo

Do I think this is a great transition ? It remains to be seen., but the Canucks need to believe and develop their own Defensemen, so this is a start.

My theory for the 2022 year is that we have Rathbone, Lundqvist/Tryamkin and Woo who are all capable of being
3/4 defensemen, so if 50% turn out to be so, well then we are there........I do not like trading Demko
NYR laughs & hangs up the phone. And this is coming from someone who's liking the way Virtanen is developing. OJ adds nothing the deal from the Rags point of view (eg., like a 'throw-in').

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Well, if you know Virtanen then you know his stats........2019-2020 season

-tied for 33rd in point by a RW
-tied foir 25th in goals by a RW
-27th in hits by a RWer
-19th in take aways

Not chicken feed!

All the while playing only 13:06 per game. And pretty much everyone above him in points playing an extra 2 minutes a game or more per night...........

As a 5th OA pick who is 22 years old and has year over year, increased his point production, I would say Jake's value
is NilsLundqvist and a late first by himself.

Admittedly, Juolevi is a throw in at this point, but his last years play was much better and his chance of playing in the NHL are much better than earlier in his career. Albeit his leash is not as long as it once was.

In saying that , I would take Virtanen and 2023-3rd for Lundqvist and 2020 1st

I also think the risk is all Vancouver's in this trade........Lundqvist may never make the NHL nor the 1st

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

2020-2021 2022-2023
Brisebois Brisebois/Woo

That's too long and too much for Tryamkin. Two years max and not over $2 million per. He won't get anywhere near that in the KHL.

Reactions: Grumpy1

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I don't know that the team really has the assets in picks, prospects or roster players to pull off a full 'rebuild' of the d group. It may also not be necessary.

I'd re-sign Tryamkin to a 2 year deal and look to trade Virtanen for someone like Slavin that can upgrade the left side d. With those two moves it would present a nice upgrade at a reasonable cost. Slavin + Tryamkin should come in right around 6 mil for the pairing.

I'd try to dump Benn for anything and let Stecher walk as a UFA, hang on to Tanev at his current salary.

Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Myers
Slavin-Tryamkin

This also leaves spots open for the future for Woo, Rathbone and Juolevi to make team, and/or make one of Rathbone or OJ tradable or go with whoever of the two develops faster, I'm assuming thats going to be Rathbone:

Hughes-Woo
Rathbone-Myers
Slavin-Tryamkin

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know that the team really has the assets in picks, prospects or roster players to pull off a full 'rebuild' of the d group. It may also not be necessary.

I'd re-sign Tryamkin to a 2 year deal and look to trade Virtanen for someone like Slavin that can upgrade the left side d. With those two moves it would present a nice upgrade at a reasonable cost. Slavin + Tryamkin should come in right around 6 mil for the pairing.

Do you know who Slavin is? Unless you mean Tryamkin is going to sign for 700k (which is probably fair but...) it seems like you don't. He's probably a top-15 defenseman in the league, not someone you bring in to "upgrade" your third pair.

Slavin would cost Hughes, not Virtanen. He's on one of the top-10 contracts in the league.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Do you know who Slavin is? Unless you mean Tryamkin is going to sign for 700k (which is probably fair but...) it seems like you don't. He's probably a top-15 defenseman in the league, not someone you bring in to "upgrade" your third pair.

Slavin would cost Hughes, not Virtanen. He's on one of the top-10 contracts in the league.

sorry got the salary wrong, I thought he was in the 4 mil range. But regardless, yes I do think Virtanen could net is a 2nd pairing d.

I also think you are over valuing Slavin a bit, he's not "top 15".

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
cool beans. PK Subban is #12 on that list. Pretty sure Jake for PK with salary retained is a trade NJ does in a heartbeat.

That list was compiled right before the 2019-2020 season to be fair. I believe it was based on polls on HF Boards, so the sample size of people voting was pretty huge. Not saying it's a perfect list, but it shows how highly people think of Slavin. I think the only players on our team that would return Slavin would be Pettersson or Hughes, maybe Horvat/Boeser with significant additions attached. Starting with Virtanen would be a joke - if you don't believe me, go make a thread on the trade forums and see what happens.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
That list was compiled right before the 2019-2020 season to be fair. I believe it was based on polls on HF Boards, so the sample size of people voting was pretty huge. Not saying it's a perfect list, but it shows how highly people think of Slavin. I think the only players on our team that would return Slavin would be Pettersson or Hughes, maybe Horvat/Boeser with significant additions attached. Starting with Virtanen would be a joke - if you don't believe me, go make a thread on the trade forums and see what happens.

wow. Petey or Hughes? I guess you guys have seen something more out of Slavin than I have to value him that high.

Fine if Slavin is off the table, what 2nd pairing D would you target using Jake as the main piece? (assuming Jake + prospect or non-1st add in).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
wow. Petey or Hughes? I guess you guys have seen something more out of Slavin that I have to value him that high.

Fine if Slavin is off the table, what 2nd pairing D would you target using Jake as the main piece? (assuming Jake + prospect or non-1st add in).

It's not just that Slavin has the value of Pettersson or Hughes (that is arguable, though). It's that Carolina has no reason to trade Slavin unless it makes sense for them. Their team is poised to be a Cup contender this season, why would they trade their #1 dman for a 3rd line winger? It makes no sense from Carolina's point of view.

But yes, Slavin is not the type of defenceman that you can judge based on his stats. He's got great analytics/underlying numbers and is probably a top 5 defensive dman in the league, while also capable of putting up 40+ points. That's pretty damn rare in the NHL, and he's signed to a steal of a contract at $5.3 million until the end of the 2024-2025 season.

You're not going to get a young top 4 dman for Virtanen without adding a significant asset. It's best to target a young dman who has just entered the league and hasn't established himself as a top 4 dman, but has the upside/potential to be one. I'm thinking Fleury or Bean out of Carolina would make some sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->