How would you rate Don Sweeney's work after Day 1 of free agency?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
He is addressing needs.

size on the top 9, faster players, guys that go to the net. 4th line energy guy. hard to not like what he has done so far....And he moved Savard's contract. Chia has not been able to move it for years. Sweeney did it in a month.

I'm curious how hard Chiarelli tried to move the Savard contract. Also, in Chiarelli's defense that contract has only recently hit the point where it's a great trade for small market cap floor teams. But I bet Chiarelli didn't try all that hard to move it until probably last season (and I still bet he could have found a taker so maybe nobody wanted to give him a hand).

Sweeney has done great with the cap so far. Inlike his moves-clearly his plan is to be a fast, physical team but Rome wasn't built in a day and it's going to take time to fully implement that plan.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
How are you feeling overall?

So so.

I think he's been a mixed bag so far. He lost some deals, won some deals, made some questionable decisions, made a couple decisions I thought would be bad but turned out to be good.

I wanted to see him tweak the roster (i.e. move out non-essentials, keep the core) but he chose to move core players. Then when he started blowing it up, I wanted to see him go with a full rebuild, but he didn't do that either. He's tried to replace the players he lost with similar (but not quite as good) players and the net result, IMO is a team that's weaker than what we would have seen under Chiarelli.

I know he's not done yet, and I do think he's shown good vision when it comes to selecting prospects, but I'm not sold on the roster he's put together so far.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All in all he's done alright.

I'm not sold on the veteran group comprising the 4th line. I see that being a weak spot right now just like last year.

The D could be improved but it's already a dogfight between Morrow/C.Miller/Trotman for likely 2 places. Add in another veteran D without someone going the other way and the three of them are likely fighting for 1 spot. It has quantity but the quality is questionable.

Not confident in the back-up situation. Would of preferred he bring in a more proven guy than re-signing Smith. All I know is if the back-up situation is still shaky come Nov./Dec., Sweeney better make a move to bring in a more proven guy, unlike what Chiarelli did last year with Svedberg when it was clear Julien had no confidence in him. Give Boston a better back-up last year and no question they get the 3 points they needed to make the playoffs. Not saying they would of done any damage but they would of been at the dance.

The Top 9 I am very pleased with. A well-rounded group with the potential to be very good. Is it better than the group who broke camp last year:

In - Pastrnak, Spooner, Connolly, Belesky, Talbot, Rinaldo, Hayes

Out - Lucic, Soderberg, Smith, Paille, Campbell, Gagne, Fraser

Still here - Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Eriksson, Kelly

I'll take the new group over the old one every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Deeper, faster, more potential, and more entertaining.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hamilton trade: F
Lucic trade: B+
Draft: B and waiting
Smith trade: B and waiting
Belesky contract: B

Bruins won't make playoffs next year.

IMO, this is a pretty good rundown of what's happened. i'd call the rinaldo trade a D- as well.
terrible value and he's a garbage player, but i do like having a guy who plays a little reckless
at times. maybe the hamilton deal is a D- too. hated the trade big time, but given the
circumstances we've heard, can't give him an F (but damn, at least get us a stud prospect
or young roster player with top 6/top 4 potential).

if he dumps kelly, i'll give that an A+

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
How in the hell could sweeney stomach watching a passive chiarelli all these years? Complete opposite approaches.

Kessel, Horton and Seguin were the biggest names moved via trade those years. Boychuk is close to the top of trades last off season.
Savard and Chara are two of the biggest free agency signings post lockout.
Recchi, Jagr, Kaberle, Peverley, Kelly, Eriksson,
Wheeler.
Iginla.
Wideman.

I'm missing more but those are some of the players he dealt or dealt for or signed ... that doesn't exactly scream passive to me.

-in his first two years the roster was completely made over with only Bergeron and Thomas left over.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm undecided on the Hamilton and Lucic trades - as it just has to do with how this draft in particular pans out. Not their picks per se, just the overall draft. If this draft was as good as advertised, giving your scouts extra picks is a great thing, no matter if they screwed it up or not - who knows.
Rinaldo - you know they were going to get someone to drop the gloves. We'll see what Julien can do with him.
Wasn't a big fan of Smith but... could'a would'a... I guess they got less because they wanted to get out of Savard's contract. (makes me a bit sad Savvy is no longer, at least on paper, a Bruin)
Beleskey - at least it wasn't for $5M.

a lot of new faces... can't even remember all the picks and young players they got.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is addressing needs.

size on the top 9, faster players, guys that go to the net. 4th line energy guy. hard to not like what he has done so far....And he moved Savard's contract. Chia has not been able to move it for years. Sweeney did it in a month.

Well to be fair on the Savard contract. This is the year the money owed becomes minor and thus the contract is basically a free asset for some teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad