How would you rate Don Sweeney's work after Day 1 of free agency?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Except his job isn't to stick it to Chiarelli. Sure it would have been a great bonus to **** him over and get a great return, but his primary objective should be making Boston the best he can. "I know I got an awful return for one of the best young defeseman in the league and our best trade piece, but man i sure stuck it to ole Pete. Now that poor ******* will have to go pay Sekera what he would have paid Hamilton"

he wasnt going to the East and Team Hamilton wasn't likely signing long term other places. He exceeded compensation in arguably the deepest draft since 2003.

I'm not upset with return but what do I know

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Really though.

We've been trained to believe that "hockey trades are hard".

Sweeney is decisive, if he is anything.

To be fair Chiarelli is off to a pretty good start in Edmonton. Considering the talent already in place I'm quite sure he will be able to find the complementary blue collar pieces that will make that team a cup contender for a long time.

I voted B. Could've been a C. I liked the moves he made in Free Agency. I don't think he could've done much better. I still completely hate the draft choices and the Hamilton trade which lower Sweeney's score.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Really though.

We've been trained to believe that "hockey trades are hard".

Sweeney is decisive, if he is anything.

For all the anxiety, the guy is at least making moves instead of trading a couple low-minute/prospects at the deadline.

I'm still not sure where things are going, and I don't think the team is better, but he's not done and we have cap space and assets to work with. Hey, and at least we have something to talk about.

4 more moves I'd like to see.
If he can get:
a goal scorer
Something on D to prevent last year from happening
Backup goalie
.........then I take back everything I said about the guy last week.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When you net it out, this team finished last season down a top 4 d man and a top line winger. Since then, they've moved another top line winger (Lucic), and a top 6 winger (Smith), and another top 4 d man (Hamilton). So now they're actually down 2 top 4 d men and 3 top 6 wings. I guess you could say that Beleskey is supposed to be one of the top 6 wings, but really? He's had one season that's an anomaly compared to the rest of his career, and he won't be playing with anyone near the caliber of Perry or Getzlaf.

So what grade would I give him after day one of free agency? About the same grade I'd give him after his trading spree over last weekend. He's created more holes than he's filled so far, so what is so great? People are happy he got out from under Smith's deal, but that only depends on what they have to pay Hayes, since he's an RFA.

I'd give him a solid D+ for the job he's done so far.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I can't read and thought this was just rating his work yesterday, oops.

I think he knows what he's looking for an has the ability to pull the trigger which I think we've been missing for a while. He wanted players that showed the ability to finish and he brought in 2 that showed that ability last season.

I think people need to temper their expectations of these players, they're 25 and 27 with one good season to them in that time. If people are ready to declare Smith a bottom 6 guy at age 24 you should be open to the possibility that's what these guys are too.

I think people are looking at Hayes height and weight and declaring him a power forward which is not accurate to the game he plays.

Belesky contract could have been a lot worse but I'm doubtful it ends up being a good contract for us which is why I don't like the term. One good season at age 27 that occurs on a Ducks team that was best in the West regular season is a red flag to me. Thankfully the NMC is only 2 years and it isn't an outrageous Clarkson contract that will be hell trying to move. I just see shades of the Kelly contract with this guy.

I'm not sure the offense is any better or more reliable than it was last season. Again, it's entirely possible these guys are true 3rd liners but we were taking that risk with Smith as well and didn't give up anything I wasn't open to parting with anyways. I'm fine with taking a flyer on these guys. I think they like their overall game better if everyone involved is a bottom 6 guy. Moving Savard's contract is an added bonus.

It's some new blood in the roster which was needed and some breathing room in the cap which was needed even more. I don't know if we're a better team but we're a different one which is good. He's not done and there's room for a defenseman. Good day yesterday.

choccy

Sep 17, 2010
London UK
I rated him a generous B, however that is by no means a final mark. I'll be carrying out spot checks throughout the pre-season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That Hamilton trade was a killer, we have no D to replace him and we have just few years to find our next #1D, I know Hamilton had to be traded but we traded him for picks without replacement in the system.

That hurts your playoff runs now quite badly.

We also have zero elite potential players in the system, we don't have any true 1st line wingers now in the team, so as we are sitting we are not a stronger team but in 2 years we can be a lot stronger due to our prospect pool+ we have zero bad contracts on the team+ lots of cap/assets available to do roster fillings.

So I'm going into next year as re-tool(hopefully Sweeney goes too) year and I hope it's a well done re-tool year and then go challenge moving 2016 forwards and these moves after Hamilton have helped us a lot, really like that we don't have bad contracts right now and he seems to know how to sign players.

So right now we are a lot worse team but we got rid of our cap problems and gave this team to challenge in the near future if done right.

edit: he gave us a ton of cap space and he wants to use it, now just have to pray the good Sweeney makes those signigns/trades.

Last edited:

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
I give him an A, goes to a B+ if he doesn't find a defensemen(believe he will)

For all the posters who gave him under a C remember one of Chiarelli's first moves was to hire Dave Lewis.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I give him an A, goes to a B+ if he doesn't find a defensemen(believe he will)

For all the posters who gave him under a C remember one of Chiarelli's first moves was to hire Dave Lewis.

Bad moves by his predecessor do not excuse his own missteps early in his tenure.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
Bad moves by his predecessor do not excuse his own missteps early in his tenure.

Kind of hard to judge him right now without seeing the product on the ice. One thing for sure is that this team last year stunk, both defensively and offensively,it became stagnent and needed an overhaul.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Hamilton trade: F
Lucic trade: B+
Draft: B and waiting
Smith trade: B and waiting
Belesky contract: B

Bruins won't make playoffs next year.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Knowing what we know now about Hamilton wanting out, how do you give him an F.

We actually got better compensation than an offer sheet would have brought (at what he signed for).

Or is it more about not opening a bidding frenzy rather than the move itself. I agree with Neely. If Dougie wanted out matching an offer sheet to keep him when he didn't want to be here would have been a bad move too.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
I gave him a B, only because Rinaldo's a head scratcher (even if he came cheap, there are in-house players I'd rather see given a chance) and while the Hamilton trade looks better in hindsight I don't believe he maximized return. The draft is obviously a waiting game, I like what I'm hearing about the picks but it still feels like a disappointment that he couldn't have moved up.

Beyond that everything else has been dynamite. The Lucic deal and flip of Jones was fantastic, exactly the type of return (high picks and NHL-ready talent) the team needs. Smith trade was a huge cap savings without much of a downgrade and I think the Beleskey signing/contract was a solid move.

B, with A potential depending on those first rounders. And obviously work to be done, still need some D and ideally another winger. But I feel a MILLION times better now than I did last Friday.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
He is addressing needs.

size on the top 9, faster players, guys that go to the net. 4th line energy guy. hard to not like what he has done so far....And he moved Savard's contract. Chia has not been able to move it for years. Sweeney did it in a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad