WJC: How would you rank the teams?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think 7 or 8.

Anyone can answer this so that I, a big dummy, can understand...

Given the fact that :

1) most of the Canadian 1st round picks, over the last three years, were high round picks (Top 10);

2) most of the US 1st round picks over the last 3 years were after Pick 15;

3) there are twice as many 1st round picks for Canada playing on the WJR team as the US team

Why is the US considered the favourites?

I wish someone would provide a objective, logical explanation...

Please NO :

i) "cause they won last year";
ii) "they have 8 returnies to the Canada's 4";
iii) references to one country being better then another;

Just pure hockey insight please. Help me understand because the more I look at the teams, the more I think that the "Canada is an underdog" stuff is just :

a) Canadian insecurity;
b) TSN trying to create interest;

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
speed, experience, goaltending...

high picks may be because they have a higher ceiling, but they may not be better now.

Also the fact that many players are familiar with each other (USNTDP).

They may be the favorites, but anyone can win in such a short tournament.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

speed, experience, goaltending...

high picks may be because they have a higher ceiling, but they may not be better now.

Also the fact that many players are familiar with each other (USNTDP).

They may be the favorites, but anyone can win in such a short tournament.

Thanks SMH...

Fair enough but I have heard that their goaltending is not great. I have read Campbell has been playing badly lately.

I have also read that Canada has more size and skill - shouldn't that balance everything out? I have read this could be the best defensive team in a decade.

Anyway, it just feels like Vancouver 2006 to me. The same 3 reasons were used in 2006 to boost Team USA and... well, you know...

I remember after Canada won in 2006, Jim Kelley (an American, RIP) said on Prime Time Sports that there was no way Canada should have been an underdog given the number of 1st Round Picks and the skill on that team. He said he believed it was just the TSN Hype Machine putting pressure on Team USA.

To be honest... Feels the same way this year. I really think Canada will win - IMHO.

But, I bow to others who have more hockey knowledge then me. :)

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Thanks SMH...

Fair enough but I have heard that their goaltending is not great. I have read Campbell has been playing badly lately.

I have also read that Canada has more size and skill - shouldn't that balance everything out? I have read this could be the best defensive team in a decade.

Anyway, it just feels like Vancouver 2006 to me. The same 3 reasons were used in 2006 to boost Team USA and... well, you know...

I remember after Canada won in 2006, Jim Kelley (an American, RIP) said on Prime Time Sports that there was no way Canada should have been an underdog given the number of 1st Round Picks and the skill on that team. He said he believed it was just the TSN Hype Machine putting pressure on Team USA.

To be honest... Feels the same way this year. I really think Canada will win - IMHO.

But, I bow to others who have more hockey knowledge then me. :)

I hope you're right! It's hard to assess teams without having seen any of them play. I'm going to Canada vs Sweden Tuesday and Canada vs Switzerland Monday.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hope you're right! It's hard to assess teams without having seen any of them play. I'm going to Canada vs Sweden Tuesday and Canada vs Switzerland Monday.

Good for you! I am going to all the Canadian games myself - bought the Silver package (all the games at the HSBC arena). Can't wait!!!

Even my gf, who is iffy when it comes to hockey, can't wait. My other friends are asking if they can go to a game or 2 but when I tell my gf that I might take a friend she gives me that "Bobbitt" look and I realize it is a mistake. :)

Trying to sell my US Round Robin games on Stub Hub but no bites (yet). May have to drop the prices to face value very, very soon.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Goaltending

1. Sweden
2. USA
3. Switzerland
4. Russia
5. Canada
6. Finland
7. Czech Republic
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway

Wow, these goalie ratings are puzzling. Why is it that you think Benjamin Conz and whoever his backup is are better than anything Canada or Russia can throw at them? Conz had a good tournament last year and is a good goalie, but is he really that good? He's been passed over in the draft twice.

I'm also shocked that you rated the Slovak's, Finn's and Czech's over Germany. The German's have Grubauer in net, while the Czech's have to go without Mrazek and Slovakia is probably going with Juraj Holly, who is very unproven. Grubauer is better than anyone Slovakia, Czech Republic and arguably Finland have.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
So after last year's performance at the WJC or his performance with Windsor, Conz or Grubauer doesn't have the same talent or Ortio? Sorry but I don't agree there, far from it.

4 1,08 95,24%

Yeah, Im thinking Ortio has been better than them.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Wow, these goalie ratings are puzzling. Why is it that you think Benjamin Conz and whoever his backup is are better than anything Canada or Russia can throw at them? Conz had a good tournament last year and is a good goalie, but is he really that good? He's been passed over in the draft twice.

I'm also shocked that you rated the Slovak's, Finn's and Czech's over Germany. The German's have Grubauer in net, while the Czech's have to go without Mrazek and Slovakia is probably going with Juraj Holly, who is very unproven. Grubauer is better than anyone Slovakia, Czech Republic and arguably Finland have.

Haha, looks like he was right. Benjamin Conz and a ventriloquist dummy would be better than Olivier Roy. Since the coach doesn't seem to want to play the backup despite Roy being awful, one must assume that he's not better than Roy (rightly or wrongly). Hence, the rating made sense.

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
Goalkeeping:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Switzerland
4.Finland
5.Russia
6.Czech Rep
7.Canada
8.Norway
9.Germany
10.Slovakia

Defense:

1.Swe
2.USA
3.Can
4.Finland
5.Czech R
6.Russia
7.Germany
8.Slovakia
9.Switzerland
10.Norway

Offense:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway

Overall:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Can
4.Russia
5.Finland
6.Switzerland
7.Czech Rep
8.Slovakia
9.Germany
10.Norway

Don Cherry:
1.Canada
9.USA
10.That crappy team called Europe :S

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
My pre-medal round updated rankings:

Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Russia
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
Norway

as most have said, Russia could easily beat the four teams above them in any given game. But their poor defense and inconsistency slides them below a more reliable and steady Finnish team that is still talented and has an excellent goalie.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
It's easy to rank teams on paper but when it comes down to it it's often the best team that wins short tournaments like this. Look at Sweden and Canada as a prime example. With all due respect to the Swedes they do not come close to the Canadians on paper. Canada has 15 first rounders on its roster, Sweden has 1. I know NHL prospects aren't always the best players in this tournament but 15-1 is an enormous discrepancy in that regard. What Sweden does seem to have is incredible team chemistry and commitment to system play. They play very well as a team and I can't say the same for Canada, or even the USA to this point.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
My pre-medal round updated rankings:

Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Russia
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Germany
Slovakia
Norway

Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
Canada allowed more goals yesterday afternoon than USA allowed in the entire preliminary round put together.

USA are defending champs and are undefeated. Canada is neither of those things.

Just a couple of facts that make me wonder why you have Canada ranked #1.

The Canadians had a lot tougher group than the Americans. The US only beat the Swiss by 1 goal as the Canadians beat the Swiss 8-0 in a exhibition game just before the tourney. With that being said I think it's all irrelevant anyway. It's wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss beat the Canada tomorrow.

monsterswede

Dec 7, 2009
The Canadians had a lot tougher group than the Americans. The US only beat the Swiss by 1 goal as the Canadians beat the Swiss 8-0 in a exhibition game just before the tourney. With that being said I think it's all irrelevant anyway. It's wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss beat the Canada tomorrow.

That's correct. USA hasn't impressed me. Probably are Sweden and Canada the best of all teams. You could maybe add the US and Russia because their highest standard is much higher than they haved showed jet

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
I would rank the teams left playing for medals as follows:

1. Sweden
2. Canada
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Switzerland

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Goalkeeping:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Switzerland
4.Finland
5.Russia
6.Czech Rep
7.Canada
8.Norway
9.Germany
10.Slovakia

Defense:

1.Swe
2.USA
3.Can
4.Finland
5.Czech R
6.Russia
7.Germany
8.Slovakia
9.Switzerland
10.Norway

Offense:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway

Overall:

1.Sweden
2.USA
3.Can
4.Russia
5.Finland
6.Switzerland
7.Czech Rep
8.Slovakia
9.Germany
10.Norway

Don Cherry:
1.Canada
9.USA
10.That crappy team called Europe :S

No offense but these are absoulutely awful.

The Czechs have better goaltending then Canada? Wait what? The Czechs may have the worst goaltending in the tournment, worse than Norway.

The Americans have not shown they have a better offense than Canada at all. Struggle to score agaisnt almost everyone. Almost lost to Switzerland and Finland. Same with Russia. Russia got shutout by a team Canada scored 5 goals on. Russia may be underperforming but you posted this today! So you should've known about it.

And theres other things but I've said enough.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
The U.S. have Jack Campbell in net, who will probably be the best goaltender (or second best, behind Lehner) in the tournament. They also have a very talented group of returning players who are experienced and managed to win in a huge game. Finally, they get the benefit of a *much* easier pool.

The Swedes have Lehner in net, and some top end prospects. They could give the Canadians a run for their money if Lehner plays like the all-star he is capable of being. They might not be able to match the talent level of Canada on a per player basis, but I think Sweden has a game breaker or two, whereas Canada's are all in the NHL. OEL would be huge if they could get him back.

I know very little about the Russian roster, but they've imploded in recent years in international competition, so I'm not overly confident about their chances. I think they'll end up 3rd out of the Group B, which means they'll likely draw Finland or Switzerland in the Semi-Finals; both winnable games, but not automatics.

The Canadians of course lack the elite offensive prowess of previous years, with a who's who of players who could be on this team lighting it up at the NHL level... Hell, even if they could just have one of Duchene, Seguin or Skinner; they would be infinitely better. Still, their defense has the potential to be the best in the tournament and, they have *fifteen* first round NHL draft picks. You have to think that they have as good of chance as anyone to win it all.

I tend to think the Canadians will win, but I wouldn't be shocked if the U.S. won on home ice.

It's not really home ice when there are more Canadian fans.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Offense:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Can
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Norway
I think this my favourite part of his rankings. Canada is leading the WJC in goals by a wide margin, has three of the top five scorers in the tournament, leads the event in shooting percentage, and has the best powerplay which clicks at a staggering 50 %. Yeah, rank 'em fourth in offense! :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00