WJC: How would you rank the teams?

flames12

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary
How would you rank the teams in terms of forwards, d-man, and goalies. I was going to do it myself, but I don't know much about the European teams. I'd like to see how you guys would rank these teams in these aspects 1 through 10 thanks.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
For the WJC?

This is pretty rough and spots could be interchanged, especially considering not all teams are final yet, but is this what you were talking about?

Forwards
1. USA
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. Sweden
5. Finland
6. Switzerland
7. Czech Republic
8. Germany
9. Slovakia
10. Norway

Defense
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Czech Repulic
8. Germany
9. Switzerland
10. Norway

Goaltending
1. Russia
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Switzerland
6. Finland
7. Germany
8. Czech Republic
9. Slovakia
10. Norway

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Forwards:

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. USA
4. Sweden
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7. Slovakia
8. Germany
9. Switzerland
10. Norway

Defence:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Czech Republic
8. Switzerland
9. Germany
10. Norway

Goaltending:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Canada
4. Sweden
5. Switzerland
6. Germany
7. Finland
8. Czech Republic
9. Slovakia
10. Norway

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

As much as TSN and everyone else wants to push the US as favourites, I think Canada is the team to beat. 15 first rounders. Big. Fast. The goaltending could be a question mark but this team reminds me of the Canadian WJR's team in Vancouver...

Lot of 1st Rounders;
Questionable Goaltending;
Americans were the "Favourites"
No BIG stars;

The Russians, that year, had an easy Division, cruised to the finals and then came out flat in the Gold Medal game. Watch for the US to do the same.

I hope Canada wins - spent a lot of $$$ on tickets.

:)

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i still think usa is the better team

and strong contention from sweden and russia

but from what i saw last year, the players on the US team are cocky and have huge egos (D'amigo, Krieder, Schroeder, Morin, Kristo)
Now i know not all these guys are back
but i feel that ego and on top of the world feeling will get to them and pressure to win on home ice. they will bow out in semi's to russia or someone else

and canada takes it in the gold medal game (knocks on wood)

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
i still think usa is the better team

and strong contention from sweden and russia

but from what i saw last year, the players on the US team are cocky and have huge egos (D'amigo, Krieder, Schroeder, Morin, Kristo)
Now i know not all these guys are back
but i feel that ego and on top of the world feeling will get to them and pressure to win on home ice. they will bow out in semi's to russia or someone else

and canada takes it in the gold medal game (knocks on wood)

that's rich, coming from a canadian. I just saw a few posts above saying that it's canada's gold to lose (It's that attitude that makes me wish the swedes beat you on NYE).
FWIW last year i heard Della Rovere, after the NYE game say "we f**ked them up" when you squeezed by a win and you call those players cocky. Get real. FYI, I am not an American but live there so don't assume i am one.

Last edited:

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
There needs to be a thread dedicated to Canadians ranking the teams, and a thread for everybody else.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Whenever TSN has a reason to put another team as the favourite they take it in order to gain interest. The US returns 8 but lost Stepan, Fowler and Carlson among others. Kreider seems to be having a pretty underwhelming season while a guy like Jaden Schwartz is putting up star-prospect type numbers at Colorado College...this is the first tournament he'll really be able to get on the radar and his evaluation camp was very strong. Brayden Schenn was a PPG in 7 games in the AHL this season while Jerry D'Amigo has 9 point in 29 games in the same league.

The US beat us last year with speed but we had a broken defense group without Dehaan and Hamonic, with Cowen playing with a rehabbing knee and Ellis playing a defensive role he may not even have to play this season.

Forwards:
USA/Canada
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech

Defense:
Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Czech

Goalie
Sweden
Canada
USA (Campbell comes in giving up 8 goals in his last 50 shots, 3.68 GAA this season...certainly capable though)
Russia

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Seems like a lot of US Posters feel Canada is the team to beat while Canadian posters feel the US is the team to beat. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if the Swedes or Russia snuck up and won Gold. Well, not really.

No one is giving either a chance.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Seems like a lot of US Posters feel Canada is the team to beat while Canadian posters feel the US is the team to beat. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if the Swedes or Russia snuck up and won Gold. Well, not really.

No one is giving either a chance.

It's because TSN is telling us the States is better and the US posters know that we've won 5 of the last 6 and they probably realize our team was in a tough spot last year with Cowen and injuries to Dehaan and Hamonic. I think if some of these guys get their acts together this could be one of the best all-around D groups Canada has put on the ice in the last 10 years. Canada is by no means a sure bet to get through that division, obviously I expect they will but Sweden is a threat and will probably be quite strong defensively and I don't think Lehner will give up too many softies....6'3-4 230 he does not give you much to shoot at and very athletic for that size.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
The Canadian media seems to think Canada and USA are the teams to beat, I think it is hard to evaluate any other team because of unfamiliarity of their players and over the last 7 years it has been won by a North American team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The Canadian media seems to think Canada and USA are the teams to beat, I think it is hard to evaluate any other team because of unfamiliarity of their players and over the last 7 years it has been won by a North American team.

It's very true. I think their right, but Sweden and Russia trail very closely behind. For Sweden I wonder if they'll be able to handle the size of the North American teams...Canada went back in response to the team they know the US will have. Big teams down the middle and the Canadian defense is very big between Cowen, Olsen, Despres and Gudbranson.

The Kremelin Wall*

If I remember correctly, it's the US that won gold the last time, so this philosophy that Canada wins everytime seems pretty messed up.

The last time Canada didn't medal was 1998, and that came after 5 consecutive gold medals. It's also one of two times Canada hasn't medaled since 1990. I think it would be fair to say that it is "Canada's tournament to lose".

Pyke*

The U.S. have Jack Campbell in net, who will probably be the best goaltender (or second best, behind Lehner) in the tournament. They also have a very talented group of returning players who are experienced and managed to win in a huge game. Finally, they get the benefit of a *much* easier pool.

The Swedes have Lehner in net, and some top end prospects. They could give the Canadians a run for their money if Lehner plays like the all-star he is capable of being. They might not be able to match the talent level of Canada on a per player basis, but I think Sweden has a game breaker or two, whereas Canada's are all in the NHL. OEL would be huge if they could get him back.

I know very little about the Russian roster, but they've imploded in recent years in international competition, so I'm not overly confident about their chances. I think they'll end up 3rd out of the Group B, which means they'll likely draw Finland or Switzerland in the Semi-Finals; both winnable games, but not automatics.

The Canadians of course lack the elite offensive prowess of previous years, with a who's who of players who could be on this team lighting it up at the NHL level... Hell, even if they could just have one of Duchene, Seguin or Skinner; they would be infinitely better. Still, their defense has the potential to be the best in the tournament and, they have *fifteen* first round NHL draft picks. You have to think that they have as good of chance as anyone to win it all.

I tend to think the Canadians will win, but I wouldn't be shocked if the U.S. won on home ice.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
For the WJC?

This is pretty rough and spots could be interchanged, especially considering not all teams are final yet, but is this what you were talking about?

Forwards
1. USA
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. Sweden
5. Finland
6. Switzerland
7. Czech Republic
8. Germany
9. Slovakia
10. Norway

Defense
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. Czech Repulic
8. Germany
9. Switzerland
10. Norway

Goaltending
1. Russia
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Switzerland
6. Finland
7. Germany
8. Czech Republic
9. Slovakia
10. Norway

well this lists look quite reasonable in my eyes.

I guess there is a clear top 4 this tournament with CAN, USA, SWE and RUS. one of them will take the win.

all the others (except Norway) are pretty similar level and any of them could round out the top 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad