How would rank the coaches sitting at home

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Gallant is probably the best available coach. He has suffered two injustices in Vegas and Florida. He will be back.

Babcock is a difficult individual who likes himself too much, then got a ridiculously dumb proposal by the Leafs (contract was way too big) and unsurprisingly, his already huge ego grew even more with catastrophic consequences. The failure in Toronto, coupled with a break from coaching, is the best thing that could happen to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was back next season or the one after and after a lot of introspection, he might be improved.

Laviolette will get another chance. I think he's a bit overrated but still a good coach.

Guy Boucher hasn't been mentioned by anybody and he is probably done in the league, but I think he is a solid coach who deserves another chance after the toxic mess he was in in Ottawa. Imagine coaching with Melnyk above your shoulder, saying crazy things and penny pinching, then having to deal with drama queens like the Karlssons as well as Matt Duchene, who is locker room poison.

PaciorettysWrister

Mar 12, 2017
Lavy, Gallant, Babcock. Babcock is a dick as a human being, but hes still a good coach. He made some questionable decisions as a coach but he wanted his guy to play the right way. 60 minutes, 200 FT, every shift. Even keefe cant get them to do that so leafs fans are bitter about it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd probably take them in the order Gallant, Babcock, Boudreau, Laviolette (and then whoever else is around) but all 4 of those guys are great.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don't think Sutter and Babcock are ever getting NHL gigs again.

Old Boys Club runs deep in the NHL, dunno about Sutter because I don't really know anything about him but I would bet $1,000 even money in a heartbeat that Babcock is back sometime in the next few years.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Seeing how the leafs now have a new coach and are still facing the same issues, Babcock won’t be riding pine much longer. He did have 2 back to back 100 point seasons. I think if he gets another chance and leaves his antics he’s known for behind he’s a great coach

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Old Boys Club runs deep in the NHL, dunno about Sutter because I don't really know anything about him but I would bet $1,000 even money in a heartbeat that Babcock is back sometime in the next few years.

What about the player abuse that Babcock did?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why Gallant is not behind the Calgary bench is beyond me!?!?

Unless they tried and he told them to pound sand!! Which I can understand.

I don't think that the Flames have asked anyone, Ward is doing ok and it would be bad look on the organization if they did not at least let Ward play out the season.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Honestly after the way Babcock screwed up with his coaching decisions against Boston in last years playoffs and the fact Toronto blew a 3-2 series lead, he should have been fired after that and not during this season. In fact Dubas wanted to fire him after the playoffs, however it was reported that the MLSE board wanted to keep him on

What is the point of having GM if they are going to make the decisions, might as well fire the GM save some money and make all the decisions themselves.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I was going to rank very high the fact that Dan Bylsma was "sitting at home", until I realized he's been an assistant coach in Detroit since June 2018. Coincidence? I think not.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Babcock sucks, what are you guys talking about lol

He got lucky winning a Cup with a pretty good roster, if he was good he’d have more hardware to his name. He coached 14 seasons in the NHL, failed to make it past the first round 9 times

Team Canada gold medals don’t count, loaded roster. Any coach can win it.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Responding to the 3 mentioned in the OP: For all the horrible coaches Edmonton has had, I've never wanted those 3 as a new coach.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I don't think that the Flames have asked anyone, Ward is doing ok and it would be bad look on the organization if they did not at least let Ward play out the season.

Doing okay? I'll respectfully disagree. The team has under performed all year. They look half decent one game and like a steaming pile of shit the next.

I don't see how the organization would look bad, it's not their fault that Peters was removed.

Ward is the "intern" coach, meaning he's holding a place until arrangements are made.

If they announced that he was officially the coach after Peters was moved out, then you'd have an argument.

I just don't understand the logic of possibly losing out on a qualified coach because it wouldn't be "fair" to Ward.

I'm sick and f***ing tired of our coaches being "okay"!! How about a real proven coach for once??

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Doing okay? I'll respectfully disagree. The team has under performed all year. They look half decent one game and like a steaming pile of **** the next.

I don't see how the organization would look bad, it's not their fault that Peters was removed.

Ward is the "intern" coach, meaning he's holding a place until arrangements are made.

If they announced that he was officially the coach after Peters was moved out, then you'd have an argument.

I just don't understand the logic of possibly losing out on a qualified coach because it wouldn't be "fair" to Ward.

I'm sick and ****ing tired of our coaches being "okay"!! How about a real proven coach for once??

I agree with you but the Flames organization does not. I hope changes start at the GM position.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Gallant is being a little overrated here. Laviolette has done more in his career, especially in the playoffs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Gallant is probably the best available coach. He has suffered two injustices in Vegas and Florida. He will be back.

Babcock is a difficult individual who likes himself too much, then got a ridiculously dumb proposal by the Leafs (contract was way too big) and unsurprisingly, his already huge ego grew even more with catastrophic consequences. The failure in Toronto, coupled with a break from coaching, is the best thing that could happen to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was back next season or the one after and after a lot of introspection, he might be improved.

Laviolette will get another chance. I think he's a bit overrated but still a good coach.

Guy Boucher hasn't been mentioned by anybody and he is probably done in the league, but I think he is a solid coach who deserves another chance after the toxic mess he was in in Ottawa. Imagine coaching with Melnyk above your shoulder, saying crazy things and penny pinching, then having to deal with drama queens like the Karlssons as well as Matt Duchene, who is locker room poison.

How is Laviolette overrated?

Take a look at his coaching record, especially the playoffs.

https://www.statscrew.com/hockey/stats/c-laviope01c

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
The butt hurt coming from Toronto fans is amusing. Toronto isn't some contender that got mismanaged. They are a mediocre to dark horse team that performs as such. Babcock is a good coach. Not Scotty 2.0 but I doubt he'll be sitting home for long.

No leaf fan is calling him a bad coach in here.

It’s funny that when he’s the leafs head coach HF calls him terrible and the most overrated coach in the NHL but now that’s he’s unemployed he’s actually really good.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Actually in a perfect world Craig Berube would be coaching a heavy physical team like the Blues... oh wait. Jokes aside, none of the teams he had were a heavy physical team. Detroit might have had some players that played that style like Kronwall, etc, but that was never really a team mentality.
Wings were very physical in the cup runs though. Just ask Dallas or Pittsburgh. Guys like Drake, Stuart, Helm, even Datsyuk laying guys out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad