Speculation: How will the NHL make up for the loss of the All-Star Game?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Remember last Winter? What a mess. I don't see it happening here. Could it be played in Cleveland? Maybe. OSU isn't exactly a friendly neighbor to the CBJ.

I still think Cleveland makes an enormous amount of sense.

And with Mike Lombardi taking over as GM of the Browns, it's not like we'll ever have to worry about a conflict with an NFL playoff game anytime soon...

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I think there is a chance the Shoe could work. One thing going for it is that the sun hardly hits the field for much time at all ever since they lowered the it and added the new press box. This one the main reason they could no longer grow grass there.

I would not mind it being in Cleveland if I at all felt like the city cared one bit about the Jackets.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm sure Cleveland cares for the Jackets more then OSU does...

I think OSU's love of the money and publicity that come with hosting a Winter Classic would cancel out any animosity they have towards the Jackets.

And best case scenario, the Jackets need to have a sustained period of competitiveness and high attendance before the NHL even considers the Jackets. Anything earlier than 2018 seems out of the question. By then, Gee will probably be out of the picture.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
OSU usually has football game planned for some time around January 1st. Not at all sure they would be interested in a hockey game diverting attention from whatever bowl game they are playing in.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
OSU usually has football game planned for some time around January 1st. Not at all sure they would be interested in a hockey game diverting attention from whatever bowl game they are playing in.

Don't worry, I'm sure if the NCAA starts sniffing around again, they won't have to worry about that for a while.;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

The real plan is to be playing one week later than that, so I think they don't see this as a problem. :)

* * *​
Don't worry, I'm sure if the NCAA starts sniffing around again, they won't have to worry about that for a while.;)

trouble.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:laugh: Its funny, because its true.
And so entirely unlike every single other major collegiate athletics institution ever! :) :ipeace

Please attempt to recall that not all of us here are on y'all's hatewagon, and certain local institutions are actually of primary importance to some of our families past and present, kthx? :p:

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
And so entirely unlike every single other major collegiate athletics institution ever! :) :ipeace

Please attempt to recall that not all of us here are on y'all's hatewagon, and certain local institutions are actually of primary importance to some of our families past and present, kthx? :p:

mgoblue.jpg

:D

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.

Solid post....

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

Oh I recall :)

I'm no fan of college sports period. Its kind of like rooting for indentured labor in the 19th century. I'm especially jaded on OSU because I spent 5 years there while they villified Robert Smith for having the audacity to not attend "optional" practices because they interfered with his pre med curriculem.

Good news though, Football U just raised ticket prices. Gene Smith's gotta pay those lawyers, and account for lost revenue from the bowl ban.

Anyways, back on topic, it would be a cold day in hell when OSU would allow that grass to be covered, and layered with ice so the Blue Jackets could play an outdoor hockey game on campus.

Last edited:

vthockey

Nov 13, 2012
Don't see the Winter Classic happening- weather and as mentioned OSU issues.
I always felt the only reason we got the All Star Game was because we were last in the NHL, even with Mr. Nash and the NHL and Jackets needed to do something to keep the STHs.
If we come in 9th this year I will call that progress.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, you guys will probably get one of the first ASG's back and that's about it. Hopefully 2015 so you get the first one back.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
I totally disagree with those who say OSU wouldn't be interested in hosting a WC. I have no, zero, zilch doubts that OSU would jump at the chance to host such an event. I don't know why some seem to think there is some kind of competition or bad blood between OSU and CBJ. OSU schedules the events in the NWA for goodness sakes. A chance to rake in $$$ in fees and television contracts, etc. etc. on a day when the stadium would normally be sitting idle. Are you kidding me?? OSU would be all over that. I still don't think it will happen because we are talking about the CBJ and the unpredictable weather, but OSU wouldn't be an issue.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I totally disagree with those who say OSU wouldn't be interested in hosting a WC. I have no, zero, zilch doubts that OSU would jump at the chance to host such an event. I don't know why some seem to think there is some kind of competition or bad blood between OSU and CBJ. OSU schedules the events in the NWA for goodness sakes. A chance to rake in $$$ in fees and television contracts, etc. etc. on a day when the stadium would normally be sitting idle. Are you kidding me?? OSU would be all over that. I still don't think it will happen because we are talking about the CBJ and the unpredictable weather, but OSU wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, yes they do. And they quite clearly have skewed toward OSU's benefit, with the exception of the big three (Bieber, Swift, One Direction) this summer.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
There is only one thing in the world that Ohio State cares about.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If they can make it, they'll do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad