Speculation: How will the NHL make up for the loss of the All-Star Game?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
So, now that the season has started and the NHL is back full force, we need to address this. The lockout robbed Columbus of what would have been a lot of revenue and a great opportunity to grow the Columbus market by hosting the all-star game in Columbus.

So how does the NHL make up for it? How do you want them to make it up to us? Another All-Star game? Winter Classic game? NHL Draft?

Columbus will get the ASG in a few years... just as they did with Atanta.. nothing more.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Columbus will get the ASG in a few years... just as they did with Atanta.. nothing more.

Phoenix is the other team that lost the ASG after the last lock out. How did that work out for them?

Now the situations are different between Columbus and Phoenix, but it is the closest example we have and it is understandable if some might think Columbus gets the same treatment.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Phoenix is the other team that lost the ASG after the last lock out. How did that work out for them?

Now the situations are different between Columbus and Phoenix, but it is the closest example we have and it is understandable if some might think Columbus gets the same treatment.
I think a significant part of why it's not worked for Phoenix is because they were dragged into bankruptcy court before they could get the ASG back and have been in limbo ever since.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
This then begs the question: is there a worry that we might end up in bankruptcy court? ;)

Nope, just pointing out that some use the fact that they never got the game back as a reason to think the same will happen here.

I fully expect the game to be here in the next few years, but I'm not sure if it will be 2015 or not.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The Jackets need to be getting in Bettman's ear ASAP about getting it back in 2015. Before the Leafs can start making too big a stink about it being their 100th anniversary.

Make him promise to give it to us just so we go away and leave him alone. Don't really care about setting the city up for exposure and all that. That's great and all, but what I really want is "WHAT?! BUT IT'S OUR 100th ANNIVERSARY! HOW COULD YOU..."

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The Jackets need to be getting in Bettman's ear ASAP about getting it back in 2015. Before the Leafs can start making too big a stink about it being their 100th anniversary.

Make him promise to give it to us just so we go away and leave him alone. Don't really care about setting the city up for exposure and all that. That's great and all, but what I really want is "WHAT?! BUT IT'S OUR 100th ANNIVERSARY! HOW COULD YOU..."

You might find some Wings fans that would express doubt in the usefulness of the bolded. Frankly, I'll be delighted if he punks Detroit on his alleged promises to move them east first, especially since I believe any such commitment preceeded the addition of a team that is actually further east. And if not, if he told them that after the CBJ arrived, even better! Why should I be disappointed by a lie to Wings fans?

As for the ASG, I think it'll be here sooner, rather than later. If not, I'll live.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not interested in retribution. That is playing the victim card. We'll get the all-star game down the road. It is what it is. There were many people affected during the lock out, we're nothing special.

I hear what you are saying, but its not that simple. The ASG sold tickets. I have a neighbor that split a pair season tickets just so he could go to the ASG...you can bet he's upset. We need the cash, plain and simple. The big boys (NYR, TOR, etc) are primarily responsible for the lockout imo, while the little owners took the biggest financial hit.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'd rather have the winter classic than the all-star game. It would be a spectacle that would draw more eyes (and bodies) to Columbus. Detroit v. CBJ in the Shoe would be terrific.

I would be shocked if OSU ever got on board with something like that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would be shocked if OSU ever got on board with something like that.
I would not be shocked at all. The university gets paid for that sort of thing to happen. Work in an OSU-Michigan game at that same rink during pregame festivities, dump tons of attention on Umberger, and it'll be all good. :)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I worked the last one in Cinci (88?). Ran refills for the cookout Marge put on at the Zoo, though me and my pal mostly hung around spotting the players and ogling their wives and girlfriends (Paul Molitor's wife had a leather skirt on that I thought wouldn't have had enough material to make an eyepatch!). Had tickets to the game, too, and had a great time! Glad it'll be back in Ohio, the MLB game is the best (only good?) all star game in sports.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I worked the last one in Cinci (88?). Ran refills for the cookout Marge put on at the Zoo, though me and my pal mostly hung around spotting the players and ogling their wives and girlfriends (Paul Molitor's wife had a leather skirt on that I thought wouldn't have had enough material to make an eyepatch!). Had tickets to the game, too, and had a great time! Glad it'll be back in Ohio, the MLB game is the best (only good?) all star game in sports.

It's the only one that is played like a real game. I do like the NHL Skills Comp more then the HR Derby though.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I hear what you are saying, but its not that simple. The ASG sold tickets. I have a neighbor that split a pair season tickets just so he could go to the ASG...you can bet he's upset. We need the cash, plain and simple. The big boys (NYR, TOR, etc) are primarily responsible for the lockout imo, while the little owners took the biggest financial hit.

As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I bought season tickets for the first time knowing the possibility of the lockout. I'll take responsibility for that, I got my money back, so no harm, no foul. I was not going to miss out on the chance to attend an event in my city that they may never get again in my lifetime.

CBJ fans have grown accustomed to the "victim card." I blame Doug MacLean for that mentality with incessant whining and complaining to the NHL about how this club had been wronged. Plus, the list of curious occurances (ex. Wes Walz pants goal, the LA Kings clockgate, etc.) certainly don't help.

That said, I think the NHL realizes they have a market that is dying for competitive, winning hockey, that is now committed to doing right for the fans. They've seen first hand with the '07 draft that the fans will come and support the big events. I hope that I see a Stanley Cup Finals series in Nationwide, because NHL cities will see this city come unglued with enthusiasm if the Jackets were ever to win the cup. John Davidson has it right when he sees that this town is starved for winning hockey.

The NHL I hope will do the right thing and put the All-Star game here in 2015.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Misread Viqsi's post. She's right about preceding the game with OSU-Michigan. I'd be more concerned about the fickle weather at this latitude on January 1

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Misread Viqsi's post. She's right about preceding the game with OSU-Michigan. I'd be more concerned about the fickle weather at this latitude on January 1

Remember last Winter? What a mess. I don't see it happening here. Could it be played in Cleveland? Maybe. OSU isn't exactly a friendly neighbor to the CBJ.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.

Are you familiar with the financial health of the organization? Do you know how many STH's have been lost over the last 5 years? Politics, retribution, victim card, etc....that's all meaningless. Its about money. A hockey team is a business, as a fan I'd like to get this one back in the black so I'm not like those poor Thrasher fans in 5 years. The ASG sells season tickets, thats what we need more of. We'll see it by 2015 imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad