Speculation: How will the NHL make up for the loss of the All-Star Game?

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
So, now that the season has started and the NHL is back full force, we need to address this. The lockout robbed Columbus of what would have been a lot of revenue and a great opportunity to grow the Columbus market by hosting the all-star game in Columbus.

So how does the NHL make up for it? How do you want them to make it up to us? Another All-Star game? Winter Classic game? NHL Draft?

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
The one thing that bugs me is that they have all ready said the Winter Classic will be back in Detroit, but not one word about the ASG. I do not know why they can't come out and say Columbus will get the next one be it 14 or 15.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not interested in retribution. That is playing the victim card. We'll get the all-star game down the road. It is what it is. There were many people affected during the lock out, we're nothing special.

VandyBuck

Oct 4, 2010
I'd rather have the winter classic than the all-star game. It would be a spectacle that would draw more eyes (and bodies) to Columbus. Detroit v. CBJ in the Shoe would be terrific.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So, now that the season has started and the NHL is back full force, we need to address this. The lockout robbed Columbus of what would have been a lot of revenue and a great opportunity to grow the Columbus market by hosting the all-star game in Columbus.

So how does the NHL make up for it? How do you want them to make it up to us? Another All-Star game? Winter Classic game? NHL Draft?

You make it sound like one of the goals of the lockout was to screw Columbus out of the all-star game. Carry the persecution complex!

The one thing that bugs me is that they have all ready said the Winter Classic will be back in Detroit, but not one word about the ASG. I do not know why they can't come out and say Columbus will get the next one be it 14 or 15.

Maybe they're finally going to get rid of this overrated event?

Anyways, Toronto has the centennial anniversary of their franchise coming up. I've heard they want an All-Star Game, ala Montreal in 2009. Wouldn't surprise me if we got bumped to 2016.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
You make it sound like one of the goals of the lockout was to screw Columbus out of the all-star game. Carry the persecution complex!

Maybe they're finally going to get rid of this overrated event?

Anyways, Toronto has the centennial anniversary of their franchise coming up. I've heard they want an All-Star Game, ala Montreal in 2009. Wouldn't surprise me if we got bumped to 2016.

Screw their 100th anniversary, it's the Jackets 15th!

BlueJacket2

Feb 26, 2012
What will the league do? If you ask this question. How about, what will the league do for giving EDM the 1st overall?

The league will give us one of the first two open years.

Although I have always wanted a game at the shoe with Detroit.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Screw their 100th anniversary, it's the Jackets 15th!

Toronto's 100th anniversary would be either 2016-17 or 2017-18. Unless they're making demands on the NHL that they hold the draft, All-Star Game, and Winter Classic in three separate years, I don't really see how they'd have standing to take 2015 and claim it as part of their festivities.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Toronto's 100th anniversary would be either 2016-17 or 2017-18. Unless they're making demands on the NHL that they hold the draft, All-Star Game, and Winter Classic in three separate years, I don't really see how they'd have standing to take 2015 and claim it as part of their festivities.

Good, but still screw them! :sarcasm:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/07/27/leafs_100years/

Seems to be exactly what they're trying to do.

2015 All-Star Game. 2016 Draft. 2017 Winter Classic?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The reason nothing has been announced yet is because they have yet to negotiate with the IIHF on next year's winter Olympics. Once they figure out whether or not they're sending players to the Olympics, they will announce whether or not there is an all-star game. If there is, we will get it - if not, don't be surprised if it's swept under the mat and "forgotten about" until after Toronto has had their turn.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?

That was not my intent.

One of the unfortunate problems with the lockout is that we lost the All-Star game. It would seem quite unfair if Columbus didn't get another big event to host since it was robbed of the last one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00