Salary Cap: How will HuGo use our Cap Surplus Next Season?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We went years without a center because our GM was a moron. He played our worst center in the top line.

Don’t mess with the rebuild. Do it right. Enough f***ing around already.

We could go years searching for a top 2C again with a new GM. This has nothing to do with Bergevin hate. Bergevin could have traded Poehling+ for ROR in his prime. He refused

If we can trade the 13th pick for Dach, we can trade a pick from 10-16 range for Dubois in a sign/trade. Dubois is not age 28/29+

Do what right? Find all our pieces through the draft while Suzuki gets older? There is already a 5 year gap between Suzuki and Slaf and when Slaf is 23, Suzuki is 28. You're willing to wait a few more drafts to fill all the holes and when they are 23, Suzuki is 30+? Not saying that is a terrible plan but are you looking at this part?

Like I said, I'm 50/50 and this is a fluid situation. There is no right or wrong way.

Reactions: SOLR and ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We could go years searching for a top 2C again with a new GM. This has nothing to do with Bergevin hate. Bergevin could have traded Poehling+ for ROR in his prime. He refused

If we can trade the 13th pick for Dach, we can trade a pick from 10-16 range for Dubois in a sign/trade. Dubois is not age 28/29+
It has everything to do with MB being incompetent. Top two centers aren’t that hard to find. Our GM just made it seem that way.

If PLD wants to be here he can sign here as a UFA. Giving up assets now for a guy who will bump us up in the standings makes NO sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It has everything to do with MB being incompetent. Top two centers aren’t that hard to find. Our GM just made it seem that way.

If PLD wants to be here he can sign here as a UFA. Giving up assets now for a guy who will bump us up in the standings makes NO sense.

Nah, I'm going to continue on with the fluid situation and I'm 50/50. Our rebuild will be a mix of drafting, trades, and UFA signings. I'm not the type to do absolute conclusions.

Remember this.
* Nasar is tied to Romaonv and Dach.
* Poehling+ it tied to ROR
* And the Panthers pick will be tied to Dubois

Will be interesting to look back in a few years to see how that plays out.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hoffman, Dvorak, and Anderson won't be Habs next season. I fully expect us to trade the Panthers pick for PLD and sign a guy like Killorn and Severson.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-PLD-Farell
Killorn-X/Monahan-Ylonen
Armia-Evans-Gallagher

Guhle-Severson
Matheson-Savard
Edmundson-Xhekaj/Harris

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Sign a bunch of 1yr deals to flip at the deadline. Take on a bad contract for a high pick.

Doubt we make any real signings this offseason.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We’ll have to make that choice beforehand…

And no we shouldn’t trade for him. He’s good, but we must stay committed.

Agreed... Unless an optimal opportunistic situation arose, makes no sense to trade assets for PLD vs waiting to see if we can sign him as a UFA (i.e the Jets viewing Dvorak/Anderson as valuable pieces they would take as a big part of the return b/c they were clear PLD is not signing an extension and they preferred focusing on building around helleybuck now, getting immediate/on-contract assets rather than a big mix of high-end futures)

IF he is indeed focused on playing in Montreal (possible?), AND he wants to get paid at/near the high-end of what the market will bear heading into start of his UFA years, then it only makes sense for the habs to have PLD at 8?9?10?million cap hit if we have a bunch of higher end ELC/RFA assets ready & able to contribute effectively as NHLers through the first few years of his deal. Trading away a bunch of those types of assets to acquire him, then giving him the pay day, would only make the process of icing a cup contending team with him as a focal point that much tougher.

but...
Anderson, Dvorak, 2014 1st and 1-2 mid-tier prospects (norlinder/strubble/heineman/ylonen types)?

something in that kind of mold would be worth jumping at this summer imo.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed... Unless an optimal opportunistic situation arose, makes no sense to trade assets for PLD vs waiting to see if we can sign him as a UFA (i.e the Jets viewing Dvorak/Anderson as valuable pieces they would take as a big part of the return b/c they were clear PLD is not signing an extension and they preferred focusing on building around helleybuck now, getting immediate/on-contract assets rather than a big mix of high-end futures)

IF he is indeed focused on playing in Montreal (possible?), AND he wants to get paid at/near the high-end of what the market will bear heading into start of his UFA years, then it only makes sense for the habs to have PLD at 8?9?10?million cap hit if we have a bunch of higher end ELC/RFA assets ready & able to contribute effectively as NHLers through the first few years of his deal. Trading away a bunch of those types of assets to acquire him, then giving him the pay day, would only make the process of icing a cup contending team with him as a focal point that much tougher.

but...
Anderson, Dvorak, 2014 1st and 1-2 mid-tier prospects (norlinder/strubble/heineman/ylonen types)?

something in that kind of mold would be worth jumping at this summer imo.
Yeah, all those assets could be used for more prospects. Then we fall in the standings and draft higher. The. We could see if PLD wants to sign as UFA.

Disaster scenario: we give up assets for him, go up in the standings but still miss playoffs, then he doesn’t sign with us… :laugh: Brutal.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Tanking the 2023-2024 season is far from ideal.

No real #1 talent and we don't have our 2nd round pick.

I'd probably be cool with trading the Panthers 1st for PLD, but I say we keep our high 2022 picks and try to sign UFAs that will help the team compete right away. If both picks are top-10 we have everything we need to build a winning team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Tanking the 2023-2024 season is far from ideal.

No real #1 talent and we don't have our 2nd round pick.

I'd probably be cool with trading the Panthers 1st for PLD, but I say we keep our high 2022 picks and try to sign UFAs that will help the team compete right away. If both picks are top-10 we have everything we need to build a winning team.
It will really depend on if we can trade for PLD and/or if we win Bedard. If we don't get either player, then I'm assuming we will refrain from signing UFAs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why spend at all? Just keep the money. No need to spend just for spending.

Because spending to the cap is an asset that a franchise like Montreal should always be maximizing.

if they don't identify an available asset(s) that fits long-term plans, that's fine, but leveraging that cap space to add assets by taking on another team's UFA-to-be cap issue (like Monahan), or signing decent veteran fillers on 1-year deals to use as trade fodder and/or injury/youth insulation, are both ways to optimize the ownerships ability to spend.

Reactions: Steve Shutt

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
You guys will hear it first here but Edmundson will fetch a 2023 1st pick, a team like NYI for example and the FLO 1st pick 2023 will be packaged at the draft to acquire Dubois.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You guys will hear it first here but Edmundson will fetch a 2023 1st pick, a team like NYI for example and the FLO 1st pick 2023 will be packaged at the draft to acquire Dubois.

Maybe the CGY pick but they're not trading the FLA pick.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Hoffman, Dvorak, and Anderson won't be Habs next season. I fully expect us to trade the Panthers pick for PLD and sign a guy like Killorn and Severson.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-PLD-Farell
Killorn-X/Monahan-Ylonen
Armia-Evans-Gallagher

Guhle-Severson
Matheson-Savard
Edmundson-Xhekaj/Harris
I like where this is headed, but I would want an overpayment for Anderson. I wonder if Gallagher could go to LTIR permanently if his injury woes continue. With Caufield and Farrell on the team, I'd want the fourth line to play a heavy game, in relation to what Gallagher brings.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Why trade for him? Sign him

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If Dubois hits the market in 2024 he will cost way more $$$ than a trade and sign move.

Nope, it values out the same to be honest. Maybe we finally get a Home Town discount ?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Maybe the CGY pick but they're not trading the FLA pick.

I really hope they don't, but they pretty much already did it last draft when they flipped NYI's 1st for Dach.

Ideally, I want them to take on more contracts one final year like they did with Monohan. Maybe trade Gallagher to a contender for an expiring contract for one last run until he retires the following year.

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
Before you can even think about next year we have to look at what is being traded this year.
Definitely gone:
Dadonov for a mid pick likely 4th round, 3rd if we retain salary
Drouin for a low pick(4th/5th round), a team will look at depth for a run
Monahan 1st + 2nd/3rd + Prospect Retain Salary (Colorado, Minnesota)
Likely Gone:
Edmundson 1st + Prospect/2nd (Edmonton, TML, many others)
Hopefully gone:
Hoffman I think we are stuck with him for one more season but we might get a buyer
For the Right Deal
Dvorak: Only if Someone offers a first or more
Anderson: We all know this asking price is big

So for next draft it could be up to 4 firsts, 2-3 seconds, 2-3 thirds and half the 4th round(joking)

So now moving into next season. We likely offer WPG One of the firsts and a second for PMD but after this year it might take more. Who knows he may even want to stay put with the season and new coach.

We will have close to 28 million in cap space or more(10.5 in LTIR and 16.7 in cap space), PMD sign and trade would be close to 7.5X8 and Caufield will be 8x8. So that kills most of the "Cap Space free" but still have Price's LTIR. 5x4 type contract for one of the 28 year old D men. Then we still have 7ish million in space we can use as needed(Trade to contender for another Monahan type dump)

Cauflied Suzuki Dach
Slaf PMD Roy
Ylonen Dvorak Anderson
Armia Evans Galagher

Matheson Guhle
Harris Dumba/Severson Type
Xhekaj Savard

PS First Spin today..... I will take it

Screenshot 2023-01-16 202001.png

I really hope they don't, but they pretty much already did it last draft when they flipped NYI's 1st for Dach.

Ideally, I want them to take on more contracts one final year like they did with Monohan. Maybe trade Gallagher to a contender for an expiring contract for one last run until he retires the following year.
Gallagher is not going to retire, at best he will go on LTIR, but he is not giving up 24+ Million dollars.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Not sure if I’m reading this right but will all our injuries, we’ve accrued over $5M in cap space that can be weaponized at the TDL

Dawnbringer

Jan 29, 2013
I'm pretty sure that $5M in cap space is just because we placed Monahan on LTIR, and if / when he comes back we will lose that space.

Reactions: ReHabs

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
I'm pretty sure that $5M in cap space is just because we placed Monahan on LTIR, and if / when he comes back we will lose that space.
That's confusing because I tought Monahan was already using the Price Ltir cap space?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00