Salary Cap: How will HuGo use our Cap Surplus Next Season?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Affection for your hometown doesn't trump affection for a great contract. Dubois is a really good player. We can afford to give him both. Let's not f*** this one up.

This summer we could add Dubois and draft two potential star forwards. In theory, our offence could be good to go.

We have to avoid the mistakes of other rebuilding teams who loaded up on forwards but neglected their D.
He is a RFA..............if we make a deal for him, I really don't want to give up the farm to get him...........I wonder how he will handle the pressure if there is a deal made?
I know he is not Drouin...............but it would still be pressure on him.............he is a player I would love to add, but not for what they would ask............it could end up being too much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be fair, I don't even think Gorton or Hughes know how they are going to spend their cap this summer. Of course Caufield gets a raise so that's easy to predict. After that, it's going to be very circumstantial as options present themselves.

He is a RFA..............if we make a deal for him, I really don't want to give up the farm to get him...........I wonder how he will handle the pressure if there is a deal made?
I know he is not Drouin...............but it would still be pressure on him.............he is a player I would love to add, but not for what they would ask............it could end up being too much.

Pressure for Dubois to come home won't be the same as what Drouin faced. Drouin came on a island by himself and Dubois is a better 200' player who joins a core of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle, Slaf, Xhekaj. Combine that with a very deep pool and very high draft power for a few more years yet.

The time to come home fits for both the Habs and Dubois. Habs will offer something to acquire but we have leverage if Dubois tells everyone else he will explore his UFA options if they try to call about a sign/trade

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
To be fair, I don't even think Gorton or Hughes know how they are going to spend their cap this summer. Of course Caufield gets a raise so that's easy to predict. After that, it's going to be very circumstantial as options present themselves.

Pressure for Dubois to come home won't be the same as what Drouin faced. Drouin came on a island by himself and Dubois is a better 200' player who joins a core of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle, Slaf, Xhekaj. Combine that with a very deep pool and very high draft power for a few more years yet.

The time to come home fits for both the Habs and Dubois. Habs will offer something to acquire but we have leverage if Dubois tells everyone else he will explore his UFA options if they try to call about a sign/trade
I've always maintained the opinion that HuGo won't spend this offseason (besides Caufield ext). I believe 2024 offseason is the time to start fishing out money plus extending rfas. And getting a very high pick this year may even change their approach to cap saving if they have to contend with paying a Bedard, etc in three years time which will obviously take a lot. But MB contractually put this team in a bind for a few years when he made those dumb signings. I don't think HuGo is worrying about how to spend their limited cap. Instead I think their only concern is shredding cap for the next 1.5 years and obviously development of there pro and junior players

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've always maintained the opinion that HuGo won't spend this offseason (besides Caufield ext). I believe 2024 offseason is the time to start fishing out money plus extending rfas. And getting a very high pick this year may even change their approach to cap saving if they have to contend with paying a Bedard, etc in three years time which will obviously take a lot. But MB contractually put this team in a bind for a few years when he made those dumb signings. I don't think HuGo is worrying about how to spend their limited cap. Instead I think their only concern is shredding cap for the next 1.5 years and obviously development of there pro and junior players

I think they will evaluate things month/month and season/season. I don't think they have a locked in plan to sign or not to sign a UFA. They will look for circumstantial moves they can make like the Dach/Romanov flip as well as consider UFA options if it makes sense to our long term success. These types of circumstantial moves tend to come out later that we can't predict today. Who would have predicted the Dach/Romanov flip and the Monahan+1st where Monahan preforms well?

Personally, I don't think they are looking to tank for 3+ years. They want to ice a team that improves and moves up the standings while also focusing on drafting/development.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think they will evaluate things month/month and season/season. I don't think they have a locked in plan to sign or not to sign a UFA. They will look for circumstantial moves they can make like the Dach/Romanov flip as well as consider UFA options if it makes sense to our long term success. These types of circumstantial moves tend to come out later that we can't predict today. Who would have predicted the Dach/Romanov flip and the Monahan+1st where Monahan preforms well?

Personally, I don't think they are looking to tank for 3+ years. They want to ice a team that improves and moves up the standings while also focusing on drafting/development.
Completely agree on the timeline of the tank as I've explained multiple times to people thinking Habs are starting or in the middle of a full on rebuild. Where I disagree with you I'd I don't think they have the ability to go on a month to month basis in the short term because of the lack of cap flexibility and undesirable vet contracts they have. Of course the Dach example you used is valid and such moves can still be made but on the basis of dishing out contracts, like I said they are extremely restricted in what they can do for the next year and a half. At least in the 2024 offseason, most of the terrible contracts will either be expired or tradable under the right (relatively desirable) circumstances

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

We have to stop over paying for the 'home town' factor. Just acquire the best talent available and everything else will take care of its self. This is an exercise in team building not nation building.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We have to stop over paying for the 'home town' factor. Just acquire the best talent available and everything else will take care of its self. This is an exercise in team building not nation building.
Today or tonight, Dubois is the best talent available to join our team. No other player of talent says in the medias he wants to play here. He have both talent and motivation to play here. Drouin will leave anyway and there will be a need for a local player. Montembeault and Savard are not enough. Dubois will take some part of the media pressure, the rest of the team will breathe. Dubois is strong between the ears, he will be okay with that pressure.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm guessing he will just proceed patiently with the same mentality as this year.

He will probably try to wepaonize his cap space ala the monahan deal again if he can.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I think people who think they’ll sign UFAs whoever it is are living in a dream.

They might accept a contrat or 2 in exchange of a pick like they did last summer with Monahan but that’s pretty much it.

They won’t finally get rid of salary to put another big contract (other than Caufield) on the cap 2 minutes after.

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
I guess a lot will depend on how things play out at the draft, but I think they'll look to sign some depth pieces that could stabilize the line up and help the young guys.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Hopefully Dubois is an example of the hometown factor working in our favor: he could go to any team in the league, but he chooses to come here. MB erroneously passed on Duclair and David Perron when they wanted to come here. Gainey passed on JP Dumont. Sometimes good hometown players in their want to come home as UFA's. It's up to us to take advantage of the hometown factor when it presents itself in positive instances...

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I agree with you to add the better players, even if he is from Us, europe, canada…Don’t really care if he is born in Qc. But in the same time, if I had to bet on UFA market, pretty sure guys Pastrnak or Matthews will never ends in Mtl by several reasons. Hometown factor like Dubois case is certainly something montreal have to consider. The moment the aav on his contract is right, I have no problem to get him. But yeah, I dont want to see another drouin/sergachev happening just because drouin is francophone. however, Dubois is another story imo.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
1. nope
2. nope
3. yes
4. maybe
5. Stay the course, suck it up buttercups, we are going somewhere.
I like numbers three and five . Re-sign Caufield long term , acquire a good , young goalie to compete with Primeau , Dobes , Monty etc. , and break in four or five rookie forwards next year similar to our young defensemen this year . We can then weaponize our cap space during the season and at the '24 deadline for more picks and prospects and probably start competing for a playoff spot in the 2024-25 season , at that point # 1 could possibly be an option .

Reactions: Garnet76

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Hopefully Dubois is an example of the hometown factor working in our favor: he could go to any team in the league, but he chooses to come here. MB erroneously passed on Duclair and David Perron when they wanted to come here. Gainey passed on JP Dumont. Sometimes good hometown players in their want to come home as UFA's. It's up to us to take advantage of the hometown factor when it presents itself in positive instances...
He hasn't chosen to come here, talk is very cheap. Until I see it.....

Reactions: zeeto

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I think its difficult to sign UFA this off season. The problem is they don't know what they have with a bunch of prospects that should arrive in the next year or two. Not to mention the 2 high picks they have in the up coming draft.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Caufield ext.
Dubois
re-sign Monahan and of course Drouin:banana:
contract/Bonus for both Bedard and Fantilli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad