How unbalanced would Team Canada be if NHL'ers were in 2018 Olympics?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Just off the top of my head the forwards could look like:

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Toews - McDavid - Stamkos
Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin
Carter - Tavares - Scheifele

Hall/Johansen/Skinner/Giroux/Simmonds/ROR/Perry/Mackinnon/Couture/Drouin/Monahan/Duchene as the possible 13th forward...ridiculous

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

Would they even have a close game against any other country?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015

Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin

Hall/Johansen/Skinner/Giroux/Simmonds/ROR/Perry/Mackinnon/Couture/Drouin/Monahan/Duchene as the possible 13th forward...ridiculous

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

Other than McDavid, not exactly the fastest team around.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
When it comes to forwards, Canada blows everyone out of the water.

The defensive lineup is also crazy good, but Sweden's is still better.

But Canada's forwards are so much better, so if Sweden were to face Canada 10 times, they'd probably lose 7 games.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
When it comes to forwards, Canada blows everyone out of the water.

The defensive lineup is also crazy good, but Sweden's is still better.

But Canada's forwards are so much better, so if Sweden were to face Canada 10 times, they'd probably lose 7 games.
I wouldn't put centers on wing.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Its been like this during the last couple of olympics, and fair enough Canada did end up winning, but its never a sure thing, team sports are unpreticable.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

Yes any of the other four teams top 5 could beat them on a given day.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Canada would have the best roster by some distance, as is often the case, and probably good chemistry and a clear system. All that said I would still give Canada only a 50-60% chance of winning the tournament. Hockey has a lot of randomness and many teams could win, especially in a one game elimination format. I think that Canada's talent advantage will not be nearly as huge in 2022.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Anything can happen is single elimination games.

Canada would be the favorite, but could lose as well. That's what has made the last few Olympics so impressive is that they have not lost in those games.

The top 6 nations can all win it all.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The thing with the Olympics is that there's such a small sample size that we only remember the most recent. In 2014 Canada had one of the most dominating performances in best on best international hockey history. That said the 2010 Olympics were much closer, minus the Russia game lol. Slovakia had them tight and the US played them tight. One bounce here or there and it's a different story. I don't think 2018 would be much different than 2010.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Other than McDavid, not exactly the fastest team around.

You don't think? Stamkos, Crosby are fast. Seguin, Marchand would be thought of as quick. No one is slow, and even the somewhat sluggish skaters are still good skaters like Tavares and Getzlaf. Hockey sense would win the day here, just unreal.

Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

I think the team dominates to be honest. It is tempting to put Crosby and McDavid on the same line. I would love to see that. By 2022 while McDavid will be right in his prime Crosby may have slowed down by then. I am surprised on the defense there is no mention of Letang or Keith. I like them both there ahead of Subban. That defense is just sickening though.

The only concern I have is not with goaltending, but with the depth of goaltending. Price is #1 for sure, and Holtby is a solid #2 but he hasn't proven himself in the playoffs. That leaves someone like Crawford which is a fine choice as a back up as he did this in the 2016 World Cup. But Canada's once proud factory of goaltenders is a little dry now. Who is slotted after that? We used to have half a dozen goalies vying for the team. Also, who is the young talent coming up?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yes, Canada would be the favorite but it would not be a slam dunk. Especially in a single elimination tournament. They only beat the US 1-0 in Sochi.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They'd definitely be considered among the favorites. Sweden's defense though could be a big deterrent to Team Canada.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The only concern I have is not with goaltending, but with the depth of goaltending. Price is #1 for sure, and Holtby is a solid #2 but he hasn't proven himself in the playoffs. That leaves someone like Crawford which is a fine choice as a back up as he did this in the 2016 World Cup. But Canada's once proud factory of goaltenders is a little dry now. Who is slotted after that? We used to have half a dozen goalies vying for the team. Also, who is the young talent coming up?

Cam Talbot, Matt Murray, and Martin Jones say hello.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

Maybe a close game against team USA (who play a similar style), but they wouldn't lose a game. Probably wouldn't even give up more than 6 goals all tournament. So bummed the NHL players aren't going to this Olympics. Wanted to see 87 & 97 light it up together.

That roster is the best Team Canada on paper in history (yes I'm including the 1987 team).

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
What would really be ridiculous is if you took the 2nd through 10th best teams from each country and had them play against each others' corresponding team.

The 2nd through tenth best teams of Canada would steamroll other countries' 2nd through tenth.

Heck, Canada's 2nd best team could compete against other country's first teams.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Benn - Getzlaf - Seguin

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Weber - Subban
Vlasic - Burns

Price
Holtby

This team would be the favorite to win Gold, but like we have seen so many times in international hockey- in an one game showdown, a hot goalie (Czechs in the 1998 Olympics) could carry the team the whole way. A shame the NHL had to skip the Olympics this time around. It was great hockey in 2014.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Just watch how much worse the drafts have looked for Canada since Victor Hedman got drafted as number 2 in 2009 (thus not counting Tavares). 2018 would be their last display of their golden generation, hate to miss it.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Just watch how much worse the drafts have looked for Canada since Victor Hedman got drafted as number 2 in 2009 (thus not counting Tavares). 2018 would be their last display of their golden generation, hate to miss it.
Yeah, no superstar besides McDavid. Sweden will have Dahlin, Americans Matthews and Eichel and Finland will have Laine and Barkov.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

You're insane

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

It would? I mean, those drafts that made up the 2010 and 2014 teams were epic but it isn't as if there have been nobodies since then. Overall there have been weak drafts in recent years, not just from a Canadian standpoint. You've got, since Hedman in 2009:

Seguin, Hall, Nuge, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stone, Scheifele, Monahan, McDavid

Defensemen are: Hamilton, Rielly, Nurse, Ekblad among others

Goaltenders are the only thing that concerns me a bit as none have stood out.

That doesn't include guys like Bennett, Marner, Reinhart, Strome, Domi, etc. all of whom we don't know how they'll work out yet since they've all played so little NHL hockey. How can you say someone like Marner can't be a star though? Nolan Patrick last year going 2nd might end up the best. Overall there have been some weak drafts lately outside of 2015. 2016 was seemingly strong but we haven't bore any fruit from that one yet. It is really hard to say who will end up as a star but I would call Seguin a star. Scheifele is right up there. McDavid, no question. MacKinnon if he starts putting everything together. But how old are most of these guys? Seguin is the greybeard at 25.

Cam Talbot, Matt Murray, and Martin Jones say hello.

We'll see. Murray would be my first choice out of those guys. He's won two Cups so far, but still has only played one full NHL season. We'll see. The other two aren't what I call elite goaltenders. At least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad