How unbalanced would Team Canada be if NHL'ers were in 2018 Olympics?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The USA had like a half dozen half chances and that was about it. I remember specifically one play where
Phil Kessel comes down the wing full speed. Got pushed off into the corner and basically dumped it on net from the blueline.

That said Canada didn't really have that many dangerous chances either. It was kinda like a soccer match.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Just for the heck of it I looked at the shots. That doesn't always tell you the full story but it helps.

Canada/Norway 3-1
Shots: 38-20

Canada/Austria 6-0
Shots: 46-23

Canada/Finland 2-1 (OT)
Shots: 27-15

Canada/Latvia 2-1
Shots: 57-16

Canada/USA 1-0
Shots: 37-31

Canada/Sweden 3-0
Shots: 36-24

So you can see other than the US game it wasn't close. Even in the American game, I don't remember a slew of good chances either and Price having to stand on his head. I remember they always seemed to pick up the loose pucks around the net.

Right.

Stamkos and Tavares I will say hurt just as much. Of course, we added St. Louis with Stamkos out but he wasn't a big factor. For whatever reason Babcock was not a huge fan of having him on the team, or Subban, and the ice time he gave them showed. But even in the World Cup last year losing Benn, Seguin and Keith was noticeable. Those are three world class talents. We lost Carter too and had Perry come in to replace him. I honestly don't think that was a downgrade or an upgrade. But the other three you can't replace them, and they didn't really.

Aside from a dangerous opportunity in the first 5 minutes of the game it was one and done from non dangerous areas all game long from the Americans in that tilt. It was really something because even when the U.S has a team that on paper does not seem to match up talent wise with a Canadian club they always go all in with intensity against Canada because the rivalry is so hot and always seem to make a dangerous game of it. But not that day...............that game truly was easy even if the shots said 37-31 and the final score was 1-0.

I was kind of taken aback how solidly we controlled them all day long.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Aside from a dangerous opportunity in the first 5 minutes of the game it was one and done from non dangerous areas all game long from the Americans in that tilt. It was really something because even when the U.S has a team that on paper does not seem to match up talent wise with a Canadian club they always go all in with intensity against Canada because the rivalry is so hot and always seem to make a dangerous game of it. But not that day...............that game truly was easy even if the shots said 37-31 and the final score was 1-0.

I was kind of taken aback how solidly we controlled them all day long.

I remember that game and how I was never more comfortable and relaxed watching a 1-0 lead in my life. It was strange. I don't think we give Babcock enough credit for getting his players to buy into his system.

I think on paper it looks like Canada trapped a lot but they didn't. They had the puck a lot, it was really a puck control thing. They had scoring chances in every games, lots of them. They just were more snake bit than what is considered normal. I can remember someone like Kunitz had mounds of opportunities to score time and time again and didn't bury it. Perry was robbed blind in that Latvia game, Nash too. There was never a loss of chances, but I think it goes to show you that the big open ice never translates into as exciting or up tempo of a game as the NHL surface.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I remember that game and how I was never more comfortable and relaxed watching a 1-0 lead in my life. It was strange. I don't think we give Babcock enough credit for getting his players to buy into his system.

I think on paper it looks like Canada trapped a lot but they didn't. They had the puck a lot, it was really a puck control thing. They had scoring chances in every games, lots of them. They just were more snake bit than what is considered normal. I can remember someone like Kunitz had mounds of opportunities to score time and time again and didn't bury it. Perry was robbed blind in that Latvia game, Nash too. There was never a loss of chances, but I think it goes to show you that the big open ice never translates into as exciting or up tempo of a game as the NHL surface.

Absolutely, we had plenty of good chances even in the American game..........we were just snake bitten as you say. It was really frustrating me but I was calm underneath because of the complete puck control that we exhibited in each match like you mentioned.

I had that same comfortable and relaxed feeling you described here as I watched the games, it was weird really. As the U.S game moved along and we were still up only 1-0 I just sat there watching with ease and at one point I remember thinking to myself."man, what a team game we are playing here, we are a machine, they just are not gonna get anything on us today are they?"

And it was a 1-0 game, it was eerie. Cannot recall anything like it in a senior best on best tournament before.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

The big ice is a more defensive game because there's more space so you can't afford to get burned. It's like comparing indoor soccer to 11v11. I like both but I always find it funny the idea that the big ice is more offensive

Puck Handler

CalderBrockBoeser
Nov 17, 2016
QC
Team Canada Lineup (if NHL players could participate)

What would be the lineup of Team Canada if NHL players could participate?

Here's mine.

Benn - McDavid (A) - Stamkos
Marchand - Crosby (C) - Carter
Tavares - Scheifele - Seguin
Skinner - Toews (A) - Getzlaf
Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo
Weber (Letang could be 7th though)

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

That would be an awesome team!!!

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Ill try
I might have some RW/LW and RD/LD mixed up

Marchand - Crosby (C) - Bergeron
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Carter - Toews (A) - Stamkos
Tavares - Getzlaf - Scheifele
Logan Couture - Ryan O'Reilly

Vlasic - Doughty
Keith - Weber (A)
Pietrangelo - Burns
Pk Subban

Carey Price
Brayden Holtby
Crawford or Murray

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron (go with the dominant line)
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Tavares-Getzlaf-Stamkos
Hall-Toews-Couture
Hm: Scheifele, Thornton, Perry/Carter

Keith-Doughty
Vlasic-Weber
Pietrangelo-Burns
Hm: Subban, Letang, Giordano

Price/Holtby/Crawford

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Lots of new faces among forwards, but basically the same guys on defense as the last Olympics.

Basically this. Which combined with Price in net, mean the forwards don't matter at all.

As long as you have Toews and Bergeron, the rest can be any players, 1st or 2nd tier guys, and Team Canada still wins gold.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Here's mine.

Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

Pretty solid list. Another Gold would have been in order for 2018. Stupid IOC and NHL ruining this Golden Era that we are in right now.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014

Here's mine.

Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

Skinner over bergeron???

Amongst other things

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Here's mine.

Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

Scheifele doesn't play C over Tavares, Seguin or Getzlaf....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Here's mine.

Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

seems about right but a couple of points.

Not ready to give up on the Marchand-Sid-Bergeron line just yet. I think this year and next Bergeron still has elite level performance in him.

and I wouldn't be breaking up Benn-Seguin for coming off injury Stamkos. not until we see how Stammer is performing 20 games in. So, Benn-McDavid-Seguin.

So, move Stamkos to 3rd. line LW with Tavares and Scheifele RW.

Not really a fan of Skinner, would prefer Hall/O'Reilly over Skinner, but if he were named to the team - then that's fine.

everything else seems right. would be prohibitive favorites this year or next...

after that, we're in a different era. but it was an epic 15 year run at the top of the golden mountain.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that it's overly difficult to guess what Hockey Canada would pick other than a small number of slots. Just look at the NHL World Cup team and replace a few players. Assuming no injuries, I think that Hockey Canada would go with something very close to this:

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Benn McDavid Seguin
O'Reilly Toews Carter
Tavares Getzlaf Stamkos
Couture, MacKinnon

Vlasic Doughty
Keith Burns
Pietrangelo Weber
Subban, Giordano

Price
Murray
Holtby

I think that 11 of the top 12 forwards, all except O'Reilly, would be pretty much locks. O'Reilly makes it for his versatility, very strong play in the last three World Championships and style of play. Couture makes it for similar reasons, though no WC performances. MacKinnon is 14th forward because I think Hockey Canada would want at least one non-McDavid young guy and I don't think the other top young forwards (like a Marner for instance) have had enough time to establish themselves. I wouldn't pick Getzlaf, but I don't think that Hockey Canada and Babcock would be ready to say goodbye yet.

I think that the defence would definitely have that top six provided Babcock was the coach. I don't think that Hockey Canada would be ready to move on from Keith or Weber. I don't think that Bouwmeester could make it unless Armstrong was the GM, and I think that a deep playoff run would be enough to get Subban on the team. His spot could certainly go to Letang though. Hard to think of who the eighth defenceman would be. Could be a young guy like Ekblad, but I think that they would go with a LHD. I guessed Giordano because I think that Calgary will get off to a decent start this year but really it could have been Rielly or any number of other LHD. I don't think that they would go with Muzzin on larger ice despite his solid performance on big ice in 2015.

First two goalies are easy. Price is the starter, Murray is the apprentice. Holtby is the number three. Could easily be Crawford instead though.

The team that I would pick would be somewhat different. Fewer of the old guard. A lot of this team pick itself though.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
seems about right but a couple of points.

Not ready to give up on the Marchand-Sid-Bergeron line just yet. I think this year and next Bergeron still has elite level performance in him.

and I wouldn't be breaking up Benn-Seguin for coming off injury Stamkos. not until we see how Stammer is performing 20 games in. So, Benn-McDavid-Seguin.

So, move Stamkos to 3rd. line LW with Tavares and Scheifele RW.

Not really a fan of Skinner, would prefer Hall/O'Reilly over Skinner, but if he were named to the team - then that's fine.

everything else seems right. would be prohibitive favorites this year or next...

after that, we're in a different era. but it was an epic 15 year run at the top of the golden mountain.

I can't believe you have come to a point where you are even "o.k" with Skinner being on a best on best Team Canada, you have been very critical of that guy in the past.

Why the softened stance?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I can't believe you have come to a point where you are even "o.k" with Skinner being on a best on best Team Canada, you have been very critical of that guy in the past.

Why the softened stance?

probably just mellowing out as I get older.

realistically where I have Skinner ranked - 3rd.line LW on the B Team. I have Schwartz higher than Skinner, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape for what will ultimately be a 4th. liner/extra forward type of player. Skinner on the team is not going to win or lose a tournament for us.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Benn-Crosby-Stamkos
Marchand-Mcdavid-Seguin
O'reilly-Toews-Bergeron
Tavares-Getzlaf-Skinner

Vlasic-Burns
Keith-Doughty
Weber-Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Absolutely, we had plenty of good chances even in the American game..........we were just snake bitten as you say. It was really frustrating me but I was calm underneath because of the complete puck control that we exhibited in each match like you mentioned.

I had that same comfortable and relaxed feeling you described here as I watched the games, it was weird really. As the U.S game moved along and we were still up only 1-0 I just sat there watching with ease and at one point I remember thinking to myself."man, what a team game we are playing here, we are a machine, they just are not gonna get anything on us today are they?"

And it was a 1-0 game, it was eerie. Cannot recall anything like it in a senior best on best tournament before.

Which is weird, because one mistake and it was a tie game. But you just never felt that. I was as nervous as a cat when Canada was holding onto a 3-2 lead in the gold medal game in 2002 before Iggy and Sakic broke it open.

The big ice is a more defensive game because there's more space so you can't afford to get burned. It's like comparing indoor soccer to 11v11. I like both but I always find it funny the idea that the big ice is more offensive

It really holds no water. I never understand why opening up the ice would make things more offensive. It is just more ice for players to take LESS chances with. More skating, more exhaustion, more everything. Worse angles to shoot at, harder to forecheck, etc. All of that.

Here's mine.

Bergeron

Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray

I am fine with pretty much all of that although I'd take Skinner out of there and find some room for Couture. No way Letang would be left off of my team either. Maybe bump him up and fill Subban in there as a 7th.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Too bad right when McDavid and Crosby are both in their prime we won't see NHLers play at the olympics. That team would utterly dominate.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I honestly think this decision is coming at the worst possible time.

Look what is going on in Finland, their golden generation is arriving.
Sweden is producing high end talent at forward and D, as is USA.
Russia is finally producing some talent at D.
Even Switzerland, they are rising big time.

The competition in best-on-best tournaments is becoming stronger.

But we no longer have best-on-best competition.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Most of that talent you mentioned here will be in their prime come 2022 so you should be happy really.

2018 would have been tough to take down Canada, 2022 presents a much better opportunity for everyone.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

We just had best on best last summer.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
We just had best on best last summer.

Considering that 4/8 teams could not select all of the best healthy players from the regions they supposedly represented, no we did not have a best on best tournament last summer.

It's difficult to say. The NHL could fix the 2020 World Cup (if it is actually held) and make it an actual best on best tournament, and I wouldn't be shocked to see the NHL go to the Olympics at least in 2022 as it chases the China fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->