How unbalanced would Team Canada be if NHL'ers were in 2018 Olympics?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You don't think? Stamkos, Crosby are fast. Seguin, Marchand would be thought of as quick. No one is slow, and even the somewhat sluggish skaters are still good skaters like Tavares and Getzlaf. Hockey sense would win the day here, just unreal.

I think the team dominates to be honest. It is tempting to put Crosby and McDavid on the same line. I would love to see that. By 2022 while McDavid will be right in his prime Crosby may have slowed down by then. I am surprised on the defense there is no mention of Letang or Keith. I like them both there ahead of Subban. That defense is just sickening though.

The only concern I have is not with goaltending, but with the depth of goaltending. Price is #1 for sure, and Holtby is a solid #2 but he hasn't proven himself in the playoffs. That leaves someone like Crawford which is a fine choice as a back up as he did this in the 2016 World Cup. But Canada's once proud factory of goaltenders is a little dry now. Who is slotted after that? We used to have half a dozen goalies vying for the team. Also, who is the young talent coming up?

I think Keith is a no brainer over Weber and Vlasic...weird that the OP chose what he or she did...i dont think its a matter of opinion. Unless one really perceives Keith as having slowed down i guess.

Why Letang over Subban? I guess Subban will always be somewhat of a wildcard due to his unique character.

Also, completely agree, if anything hurts this team, it wont be lack of speed...Carter Seguin Marchand Stamkos are very fast. Crosby is relatively as well. Guys like Getzlaf and Tavares have, like you said, elite hockey sense that transcends any other attributes.

That team would, i second, dominate, very very likely.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
It would? I mean, those drafts that made up the 2010 and 2014 teams were epic but it isn't as if there have been nobodies since then. Overall there have been weak drafts in recent years, not just from a Canadian standpoint. You've got, since Hedman in 2009:

Seguin, Hall, Nuge, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Stone, Scheifele, Monahan, McDavid

Defensemen are: Hamilton, Rielly, Nurse, Ekblad among others

Goaltenders are the only thing that concerns me a bit as none have stood out.

That doesn't include guys like Bennett, Marner, Reinhart, Strome, Domi, etc. all of whom we don't know how they'll work out yet since they've all played so little NHL hockey. How can you say someone like Marner can't be a star though? Nolan Patrick last year going 2nd might end up the best. Overall there have been some weak drafts lately outside of 2015. 2016 was seemingly strong but we haven't bore any fruit from that one yet. It is really hard to say who will end up as a star but I would call Seguin a star. Scheifele is right up there. McDavid, no question. MacKinnon if he starts putting everything together. But how old are most of these guys? Seguin is the greybeard at 25.

We'll see. Murray would be my first choice out of those guys. He's won two Cups so far, but still has only played one full NHL season. We'll see. The other two aren't what I call elite goaltenders. At least not yet.

Outside of Mcdavid (which is an obvious superstar) I just don't see the same firepower as in the last few years international tournaments. Nuge, RNH, Monahan? That is weak compared to the team they could summon now. Rielly, Nurse and Ekblad are weak compared to the likes of Subban, Letang and other that has no certain spot on the team.

There is a reason why Canada haven't dominated the WJC like they did before '09, except of course the year Mcdavid was the MVP.

Im not saying Canada will be bad, I'm just saying they won't be nearly as good as they've been since 2010.

"you're insane" you say, who is insane if you think Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux, Toews, Bergeron, Thornton, Stamkos, Tavares etc etc isn't a better core for a team than RNH, Mackinnon etc? The only guy that stands out is Mcdavid, maybe Seguin and Hall too.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Outside of Mcdavid (which is an obvious superstar) I just don't see the same firepower as in the last few years international tournaments. Nuge, RNH, Monahan? That is weak compared to the team they could summon now. Rielly, Nurse and Ekblad are weak compared to the likes of Subban, Letang and other that has no certain spot on the team.

There is a reason why Canada haven't dominated the WJC like they did before '09, except of course the year Mcdavid was the MVP.

Im not saying Canada will be bad, I'm just saying they won't be nearly as good as they've been since 2010.

"you're insane" you say, who is insane if you think Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux, Toews, Bergeron, Thornton, Stamkos, Tavares etc etc isn't a better core for a team than RNH, Mackinnon etc? The only guy that stands out is Mcdavid, maybe Seguin and Hall too.

Well Nugent Hopkins and MacKinnon won't make the team so....

You have the best player in the world
Point per game Schiefele. Just under PPG Seguin.

Jeff Skinner .8 ppg
Ryan Johansson .74ppg
Monahan .71

Mark stone .76
Kyle Turris .71
Ryan oreilly .76

Taylor hall .74

That's just guys under 30 plus you have tavares Stamkos Bergeron Toews etc who still probably going to be elite in 2022.

On D

Dougie Hamilton
Ekbald
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Vlasic
Ryan Ellis
Parayko

All under 30 plus guys probably still in their prime Subban Letang

Plus who knows who pops up between now and then.

Still would take Canada over any other country and I think it's obvious

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I agree that Canada 2022 would not be as good as Canada 2018. I would probably take Canada over the field in the 2018 Olympics if it was best on best. The way things look now in 2022 I would take the field over Canada, though I would probably take Canada over any other single team.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Jeff Skinner .8 ppg
Ryan Johansson .74ppg
Monahan .71

Mark stone .76
Kyle Turris .71
Ryan oreilly .76

Taylor hall .74

That's just guys under 30 plus you have tavares Stamkos Bergeron Toews etc who still probably going to be elite in 2022.

On D

Dougie Hamilton
Ekbald
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Vlasic
Ryan Ellis
Parayko

This is such a weird post. Why are you referring to Scheifele as PPG and Seguin as just under PPG? Isn't that just recency bias at it's finest? You seem to be basing your analysis almost ENTIRELY on last season. Can you explain in what way that is either wise, intelligent or useful?

Scheifele has been a PPG exactly once. Seguin has been there 2013-2017.

If those other forwards are ranked, then how can you explain Hall being a tier/notch below those guys? I would in fact argue he is the best of the bunch. I think he's shown a peak level that is the best out of all of them, and drives his line more than any of them. I think he's rarely shared the quality of opportunities, and powerplay units that many of these guys have had as well.

Meanwhile, why is Subban not in that D list if he's the same age roughly or even younger than Vlasic, Doughty and Pietro.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This is such a weird post. Why are you referring to Scheifele as PPG and Seguin as just under PPG? Isn't that just recency bias at it's finest? You seem to be basing your analysis almost ENTIRELY on last season. Can you explain in what way that is either wise, intelligent or useful?

Scheifele has been a PPG exactly once. Seguin has been there 2013-2017.

If those other forwards are ranked, then how can you explain Hall being a tier/notch below those guys? I would in fact argue he is the best of the bunch. I think he's shown a peak level that is the best out of all of them, and drives his line more than any of them. I think he's rarely shared the quality of opportunities, and powerplay units that many of these guys have had as well.

Meanwhile, why is Subban not in that D list if he's the same age roughly or even younger than Vlasic, Doughty and Pietro.

I didn't rank anybody. I have a list a players that will be under 30 in 2022 and then explicitly noted that guys over 30 would still be good. And subban is older than Both doughty and pietrangleo

Not sure where I said Scheifele is better than Taylor hall or seguin. The point was the pool is pretty good.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think Keith is a no brainer over Weber and Vlasic...weird that the OP chose what he or she did...i dont think its a matter of opinion. Unless one really perceives Keith as having slowed down i guess.

Why Letang over Subban? I guess Subban will always be somewhat of a wildcard due to his unique character.

Also, completely agree, if anything hurts this team, it wont be lack of speed...Carter Seguin Marchand Stamkos are very fast. Crosby is relatively as well. Guys like Getzlaf and Tavares have, like you said, elite hockey sense that transcends any other attributes.

That team would, i second, dominate, very very likely.

I just like Letang and can never understand how he gets left out in the cold here. I know someone has to, but give me his poise and experience over Subban's. I still think Subban could be a good 7th defenseman on that team.

The 2022 won't be as good as what 2018 would have been, I agree. I am just saying it is very hard to project what a team may look like in 4 years. I remember back in 1998, you'd laugh at the names of the players many of us picked for the 2002 team. Rico Fata came to mind. Daniel Tkaczuk. Brad Stuart. Guys like that. You can never get these things right. Some guys come out of nowhere and start dominating. For example, even a few years into his career no one thought Iginla would be a Hart winner. Even in 2001 if I'd have asked you that no one would have figured. Players break out, and look at Iginla now, he had a HHOF career.

There isn't a strong 2003 draft by any means, but expect some big names from that 2015 draft. But overall there have been weak drafts so every country is suffering.

The name I am going to predict is Nolan Patrick. Just watch him and see what happens. 2nd overall, had a monster season prior to his draft year and spent much of his draft year injured. What is stopping him from being a star in the NHL? I think he's a gem personally.

But I do agree it is very hard to repeat those great drafts and those excellent WJCs that produced a lot of talent.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I just like Letang and can never understand how he gets left out in the cold here. I know someone has to, but give me his poise and experience over Subban's. I still think Subban could be a good 7th defenseman on that team.

The 2022 won't be as good as what 2018 would have been, I agree. I am just saying it is very hard to project what a team may look like in 4 years. I remember back in 1998, you'd laugh at the names of the players many of us picked for the 2002 team. Rico Fata came to mind. Daniel Tkaczuk. Brad Stuart. Guys like that. You can never get these things right. Some guys come out of nowhere and start dominating. For example, even a few years into his career no one thought Iginla would be a Hart winner. Even in 2001 if I'd have asked you that no one would have figured. Players break out, and look at Iginla now, he had a HHOF career.

There isn't a strong 2003 draft by any means, but expect some big names from that 2015 draft. But overall there have been weak drafts so every country is suffering.

The name I am going to predict is Nolan Patrick. Just watch him and see what happens. 2nd overall, had a monster season prior to his draft year and spent much of his draft year injured. What is stopping him from being a star in the NHL? I think he's a gem personally.

But I do agree it is very hard to repeat those great drafts and those excellent WJCs that produced a lot of talent.

I disagree every country is suffering. The USA, Swiss and Finnish teams would be some of their strongest projecting for 2022

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Marner? he's gonna be a star and almost is already and a guy like drouin certainly has the talent to stand out by that time, he could really bust out as early as this year, he has all the offensive tools to do so.

And who knows who will emerge and it is still real early in guys like Reilly,Nurse and Ekblads career, they could end up world beaters yet, we don't know.

I agree with you that 22 is not likely to be as strong as 18 would have been but that really is a dom perignon group that does not come by all that often.However, I think you are underselling Canada a little bit in your projections.

They will have plenty of talent in 22 to win it all.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Marner? he's gonna be a star and almost is already and a guy like drouin certainly has the talent to stand out by that time, he could really bust out as early as this year, he has all the offensive tools to do so.

And who knows who will emerge and it is still real early in guys like Reilly,Nurse and Ekblads career, they could end up world beaters yet, we don't know.

I agree with you that 22 is not likely to be as strong as 18 would have been but that really is a dom perignon group that does not come by all that often.However, I think you are underselling Canada a little bit in your projections.

They will have plenty of talent in 22 to win it all.

Right, Drouin as well.

We'll see. Heck, Stamkos will still be just 32, Tavares 31. Crosby 34. These will be the greybeards but who is really going to top Canada anyway? Our top level teams always have an ebb and flow. It will be hard to top the last few years but in a decade it might be back again.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Right, Drouin as well.

We'll see. Heck, Stamkos will still be just 32, Tavares 31. Crosby 34. These will be the greybeards but who is really going to top Canada anyway? Our top level teams always have an ebb and flow. It will be hard to top the last few years but in a decade it might be back again.

The hockey summit post-1998 Olympic debacle did a lot to set in motion the "flow" that Canada has enjoyed this past generation. There are still some changes that could be made that would put Canada back in a more dominant position, first and foremost making hockey a more affordable venture and thus greatly increasing the pool of available players. Fixing player production in Quebec, something that has apparently already been tinkered with these last few years, is also potentially a big boost.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The hockey summit post-1998 Olympic debacle did a lot to set in motion the "flow" that Canada has enjoyed this past generation. There are still some changes that could be made that would put Canada back in a more dominant position, first and foremost making hockey a more affordable venture and thus greatly increasing the pool of available players. Fixing player production in Quebec, something that has apparently already been tinkered with these last few years, is also potentially a big boost.

I wonder what Finland had done in their hockey system the last decade?, they are going through boom times, is it just a lucky cycle or are there specific things they have been doing in their system that accounts for this unprecedented spike in their quantity and quality player production of late?

Heck, I am really impressed at the hockey factory they have become relative to their size, it is very impressive!!

Hockey must be as expensive there as it is here yet at the moment that does not seem to be hindering quality player production.

More passion among the young for the game at the moment perhaps?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Right, Drouin as well.

It appeared that poster had left off a few names that could (Drouin) and probably(marner) be big time world class talents Canada will have at it's disposal come 2022.

Some other guys will emerge I am sure and the d- guys he mentioned are still so young, you cannot discount them and what they could be this early in their career, especially being d-men who take longer to hit their top stride.

Way too early to call on all fronts IMO.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I wonder what Finland had done in their hockey system the last decade?, they are going through boom times, is it just a lucky cycle or are there specific things they have been doing in their system that accounts for this unprecedented spike in their quantity and quality player production of late?

Heck, I am really impressed at the hockey factory they have become relative to their size, it is very impressive!!

Hockey must be as expensive there as it is here yet at the moment that does not seem to be hindering quality player production.

Hockey mad population. More concentrated settlement. Most people live in the south. I don't think it's nearly as expensive there as it is in NA but I could be wrong

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

That's good news. Yeah Quebec, once a factory for talent has dried up recently, especially in the once reliable goaltending category. Usually there is a boost when the Habs have a star goalie though. Also, get back to the days of letting the kids play before you have them go through the systems. I don't know how guys like Marner or McDavid survived the cookie cutter systems we have in Canada but we need more of them.

It appeared that poster had left off a few names that could (Drouin) and probably(marner) be big time world class talents Canada will have at it's disposal come 2022.

Some other guys will emerge I am sure and the d- guys he mentioned are still so young, you cannot discount them and what they could be this early in their career, especially being d-men who take longer to hit their top stride.

Way too early to call on all fronts IMO.

So it got me thinking, what would the 2022 team look like? I know these can never be totally accurate, but I think it is worth a shot.

Benn-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Seguin
Tavares-Scheifele-Stamkos
O'Reilly-Toews-Bergeron
Hall/Nolan Patrick/Drouin

Pietrangelo-Doughty
Nurse-Letang
Burns-Subban
Vlasic

Price
Holtby
Murray

I mean, man that is still a pretty stacked team. Just basing this stuff of projections and such but that is impressive. I am just guessing Nolan Patrick steps up and Nurse as well in Edmonton. Just a hunch. Other than Nurse the defense is older though. All above 30. The forward crops is a mixed bag and that still leaves the option of some youngsters stepping up.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

From what I have seen some Finnish posters mention, I think it is more about Finland simply stopping bad practices more than adopting something that can be followed. I've read that Finland focused too much on system play for young players (not unlike one issue with Canada in the 1990s) and also had rules that made it difficult for the best players to get much more ice time than far inferior players. If I am wrong about any of that I am quite open to being corrected.

The only country I am really interested in learning from is Sweden and defencemen. Lots of countries are doing good things at different positions, Canada included, but Sweden's defencemen stand out. Finland is mostly doing what it should have been in the incredibly barren post-Selanne draft period.

That's good news. Yeah Quebec, once a factory for talent has dried up recently, especially in the once reliable goaltending category. Usually there is a boost when the Habs have a star goalie though. Also, get back to the days of letting the kids play before you have them go through the systems. I don't know how guys like Marner or McDavid survived the cookie cutter systems we have in Canada but we need more of them.

Yes that is an issue. With Quebec you can really see the dropoff decade by decade. Quebec was tremendous from the 1950s-1980s, things drop in the 90s and then worse since. That has been largely mitigated by improvements in BC and Alberta, and recently in Atlantic Canada, but it isn't as if we've ever really seen all parts of Canada producing players at a high level before.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

So it got me thinking, what would the 2022 team look like? I know these can never be totally accurate, but I think it is worth a shot.

Benn-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Seguin
Tavares-Scheifele-Stamkos
O'Reilly-Toews-Bergeron
Hall/Nolan Patrick/Drouin

Pietrangelo-Doughty
Nurse-Letang
Burns-Subban
Vlasic

Price
Holtby
Murray

I mean, man that is still a pretty stacked team. Just basing this stuff of projections and such but that is impressive. I am just guessing Nolan Patrick steps up and Nurse as well in Edmonton. Just a hunch. Other than Nurse the defense is older though. All above 30. The forward crops is a mixed bag and that still leaves the option of some youngsters stepping up.

Looking at your lineup here it is chalk full of over 30 guys by 2022 which is what that poster was alluding to.

I mean the lineup looks good when you see the names but younger players are going to need to step up and be impact players who can push a few of those players off the team for Team Canada in 2022 to be really formidable IMO.

I mean the guy has a legitimate point, the drafts for Canada have not been as strong lately, it is concerning going forward.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hockey mad population. More concentrated settlement. Most people live in the south. I don't think it's nearly as expensive there as it is in NA but I could be wrong

But this has always been the case has it not? I mean, they love hockey, nothing new there, why the sudden boost in player quantity and quality?

I also do not see why it would be less expensive there then here really but i could be ignorant of the realities there. I mean the cost of gear has got to be expensive there right? Ice time is ice time...............it is expensive to run rinks anywhere unless it is being subsidized by the government in some manner.

I do not see where the costs get cut really.

Enlighten me please, I am at a loss for how it is cheaper there.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
From what I have seen some Finnish posters mention, I think it is more about Finland simply stopping bad practices more than adopting something that can be followed. I've read that Finland focused too much on system play for young players (not unlike one issue with Canada in the 1990s) and also had rules that made it difficult for the best players to get much more ice time than far inferior players. If I am wrong about any of that I am quite open to being corrected.

The only country I am really interested in learning from is Sweden and defencemen. Lots of countries are doing good things at different positions, Canada included, but Sweden's defencemen stand out. Finland is mostly doing what it should have been in the incredibly barren post-Selanne draft period.

Yes that is an issue. With Quebec you can really see the dropoff decade by decade. Quebec was tremendous from the 1950s-1980s, things drop in the 90s and then worse since. That has been largely mitigated by improvements in BC and Alberta, and recently in Atlantic Canada, but it isn't as if we've ever really seen all parts of Canada producing players at a high level before.

That could very well be it, it makes sense.

I have never understood the heavy emphasis on system play over skill development that seeped into our hockey system, I mean ****................just let them play and have fun, who cares about wins and losses at the early minor hockey level? It's silly, at the early minor level you just want to make sure the guys are dying to get to the rink, that will insure they get better without fail. Focus on systems later on.

The mentality has gotta change, now.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
But this has always been the case has it not? I mean, they love hockey, nothing new there, why the sudden boost in player quantity and quality?

I also do not see why it would be less expensive there then here really but i could be ignorant of the realities there. I mean the cost of gear has got to be expensive there right? Ice time is ice time...............it is expensive to run rinks anywhere unless it is being subsidized by the government in some manner.

I do not see where the costs get cut really.

Enlighten me please, I am at a loss for how it is cheaper there.

I'm not finnish but spent a good bit of time there. Also never lived in Canada so don't know youth hockey. But in the states it's all about getting on these absurd travel teams that cost like 10k a year. Finnish clubs sponsor a lot of younger levels so the fees and stuff is a lot less.

Also I get the impression that Finland has gotten more hockey mad. It used to have some competition with Nordic skiing and ski jumping but now every kid wants to play in the NHL.

Like slater said I could be wrong but that was just the impression I got talking to people there.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Jeff Skinner .8 ppg
Ryan Johansson .74ppg
Monahan .71

Mark stone .76
Kyle Turris .71
Ryan oreilly .76

Taylor hall .74

On D

Dougie Hamilton
Ekbald
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Vlasic
Ryan Ellis
Parayko

I would rather take Finland than Canada in 2022 and forward.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
I´m also sad that we don´t get to see what seems to be one of Canadas golden generations last big outing. This team would be a beaty to watch.

This years Canada would be an even bigger favourite than 2010 and 2014 for me. And that was impressive teams. Not as great as the 1987 I would say. And to be frank, I think the 2002 seemed to come together better as then tournament went. More than 2010 and 2014. The World Cup was a joke from the start to me, so I won´t count that as a real tournament. Even if we there got to see what a Canada of this generation could achieve.

And even if Canada has came away with the two last gold medales, people tend to forget, even how impressive it is, that those teams didn´t crush their opponents. They ain´t the legendary unstoppable teams they are made to be.
In 2010 it took OT to beat Switzerland, US beat them, Slovakia almost tied it in the semi-finals and it took OT in the finals against US.
2014 it took OT to beat Finland, 53 minutes in to the QF they where tied 1-1 with Latvia and only beat them by one goal, the US game was only 1-0 and in the finals they beat a demoralised Sweden who where missing their 3 best centers (Sedin, Backstrom, Zetterberg...) by 3-0. An decisive, but not a total dominance They outshot Sweden 3 to 2 in shots.

But this team would have been the defining team of this generation I think. Prime Crosby and young McDavid would have been extatic to see play together for starters.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not finnish but spent a good bit of time there. Also never lived in Canada so don't know youth hockey. But in the states it's all about getting on these absurd travel teams that cost like 10k a year. Finnish clubs sponsor a lot of younger levels so the fees and stuff is a lot less.

Also I get the impression that Finland has gotten more hockey mad. It used to have some competition with Nordic skiing and ski jumping but now every kid wants to play in the NHL.

Like slater said I could be wrong but that was just the impression I got talking to people there.

Finnish club teams sponsoring youth hockey would sure go a long way to cutting costs.

Canadian NHL clubs should look into that, that would cut into their almighty profit though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Finnish club teams sponsoring youth hockey would sure go a long way to cutting costs.

Canadian NHL clubs should look into that, that would cut into their almighty profit though.

That ship has sailed. Th original six days featured a sponsorship program at the junior level and maybe a bit below, but not to the degree that we see in Europe. It just isn't the way modern leagues are run in North America, given that sponsorship doesn't really fit with a draft system.

The NHL does give sponsorship money, roughly ten million per year I believe, to USA Hockey. It would be nice if Hockey Canada received a few million from the NHL as well, though I don't think that Hockey Canada is hard up for money in any way.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

I don't think the NHL cares. They get all the best players for free and any money spent developing them is wasted with a draft. European teams at least get the player if they develop them. Well at least until they leave for the NHL. Then they get some ridiculous amount like 300k I think. Can't remember exactly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad