How to get new ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The better question is: Can we all contribute enough to be a publicly owned team?

Seriously? The fan base can't sell out the building as it is, with the lowest prices in the league. Papered attendance may look good, but Ottawa was not paying for sellouts all of these years, as we have seen once the free tickets stopped. Public owned would require a ton more investment from people who have not shown and interest in investing less money when things were going really well.

No, the hope needs to stay with a new, smaller, downtown arena, and a new owner eventually who can bankroll a cap team on their own.

Reactions: aragorn
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Ok, sorry no. That's something only a disgruntled fan in a city that has a team would say, fans from a city that don't have a team would take any form of ownership (which is temporary) to have a team (ask anyone in Quebec City for example). I mean, do you really believe that there is a single Blackhawks or leafs fans that wish that they had folded their teams during the low period?

Just silly, sorry, but it just is. Having said that, I understand that people are very upset and want to vent in peace. I will respect that :)

Because I've never gone through my team folding/leaving the city.

I was one of the biggest (and one of the only) Calgary Cannons fans in the city of Calgary as a kid, and I was heartbroken when the team left. I'm not venting. I'm telling the truth.

But hey, continue being condescending and belittle everyone that has anything negative to say about your Uncle Eugene.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Because I've never gone through my team folding/leaving the city.

I was one of the biggest (and one of the only) Calgary Cannons fans in the city of Calgary as a kid, and I was heartbroken when the team left. I'm not venting. I'm telling the truth.

But hey, continue being condescending and belittle everyone that has anything negative to say about your Uncle Eugene.

Cry me a river dude. I wasn't being condescending, I was calling out your post as ridiculous reactionary crap. I haven't belittled anyone, nor supported EM at all. Just because I don't give your particular whinny meulings the time of day doesn't make me the bad guy, it means you should grow the F up. Stop buying tickets, give money to the gofundme set up, rant against EM, but don't expect hugs and high fives when you talk of us being better off without the team. There, straight at you, both barrels, deal with it like the man you allude to being in your sig.

There's not a person in here that would rather we didn't have a team for any reason. Owners come and go, and your minor league affections don't get into the same stratosphere as an NHL team. You lose your team and you don't get one back for decades if at all. We had a team before EM, and we'll have one after him thank you very much.

Again, go talk to Leaf fans or Hawks fans and ask them if they would rather not have their team now because of worse previous owners.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Cry me a river dude. I wasn't being condescending, I was calling out your post as ridiculous reactionary crap. I haven't belittled anyone, nor supported EM at all. Just because I don't give your particular whinny meulings the time of day doesn't make me the bad guy, it means you should grow the F up. Stop buying tickets, give money to the gofundme set up, rant against EM, but don't expect hugs and high fives when you talk of us being better off without the team. There, straight at you, both barrels, deal with it like the man you allude to being in your sig.

There's not a person in here that would rather we didn't have a team for any reason. Owners come and go, and your minor league affections don't get into the same stratosphere as an NHL team. You lose your team and you don't get one back for decades if at all. We had a team before EM, and we'll have one after him thank you very much.

Again, go talk to Leaf fans or Hawks fans and ask them if they would rather not have their team now because of worse previous owners.

"you should grow up ... there, straight at you, both barrels" ... ok there, haha

The bottom-line is that you think the team is more at risk if we anger Melnyk and the person you are responsing to thinks that the bigger threat to the team is treating Melnyk well. Its not like either of you is obviously correct.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"you should grow up ... there, straight at you, both barrels" ... ok there, haha

The bottom-line is that you think the team is more at risk if we anger Melnyk and the person you are responsing to thinks that the bigger threat to the team is treating Melnyk well. Its not like either of you is obviously correct.

Whatever dog, laugh away, it's all good.

I don't think the team is in danger at all, like at all. I did say that there was more chance of the team moving from lack of support, than EM being forced to sell the team because of it. Feel free to disagree.

And no, the person I responded to said he thought that we were better off without a team at all. That's what I responded to, and he came back with the same EM lover crap that people resort when they don't like a differing opinion. I think I am absolutely correct when I say unequivocally that we are not better off without a team. Again, feel free to disagree.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Alright lads, here's the plan...

We setup a schedule with each of us getting a different night. When it's your night you offer to play Century Club with Eugene. Obviously you'll have to offer to pay or he probably won't play. But after a few weeks we should have accomplished our goal and hopefully his daughters think Karlsson is too dreamy to trade.

Bulletclub

Feb 24, 2018

How do you know the future? Chicago and Toronto gotten better when the owners passed away...food for thought

Emerica

May 29, 2010
why are Melnyk Out threads getting deleted?
Melnyk.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.png

Reactions: Deku and mat_sens

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I'm very perplexed by Mr. Melnyk's lack of insight that this team's value is being adversely affected by his nutty decisions (eg CEO, statements in the media, antagonizing players, getting rid of Leeder, extending Dorion).

Or maybe it's not and he's playing some long con that I'm not aware of.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Melnyck’s a BULLY and a SCUMBAG

He doesn’t have a single friend in Ottawa after 10 years and owning the biggest thing in the city. The people we cheer for all hate him - Alfie, EK, Methot, Phaneuf...even Crosby things he’s a piece of disemboweled food.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
He's a bad owner who doest care about the fans. but the fact remain is that he is the owner and will be as long as he wants to be. You can buy all the billboards you want that will not move the needle one millimeters towards him selling the team. I guess what im trying to say is that, we are stuck with him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He's a bad owner who doest care about the fans. but the fact remain is that he is the owner and will be as long as he wants to be. You can buy all the billboards you want that will not move the needle one millimeters towards him selling the team. I guess what im trying to say is that, we are stuck with him.

We aren’t powerless, we are the team. This fanbase is bigger then the owner, Melnyck is just a chump win a signed piece of paper with an NHL logo on it - that can be destroyed at any time. We don’t go to games, he doesn’t have a team.

The fans pay for this, pay for the reporters, the players, the stadium, the profit that brings Melnyck no joy - the NHL doesn’t look for arenas or owners, they look for fan bases.

We are the Ottawa Senators - not some rehabbing drunk from Barbados

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The fans can force Melnyk out with a consistently executed plan. Can we get our shit together to make it happen.

The time to push will be after the Karlsson trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
New ownership is not going to fix the Phoenix system which still doesn't look like it is going to be fixed anytime soon. Even after it is fixed there will be tons of people trying to get their lives back in order who may not be able to afford to go to a game. This brings up the next point where going to an NHL game is just too expensive for a lot of people.

The Senators seem to have lost their luster in this town IMO whether that has to do with the owner, the team sucking or cost to attend games. I'm not sure which is the bigger problem, the fact that the owner has money problems is definitely effecting how the team operates or even though the team was almost in the conference final they still were not selling out playoff games. The cost of playoff games & parking must have turned a lot of fans off too. I don't know if new ownership would change that but new ownership helped the Redblacks even with the Phoenix system.

CommonSens

May 14, 2017
I just really cant see any how this movement will help the teams situation at all. Theres really little to no chance that the League/Bettman would or could get involved. The team is owned by EM, and is seemingly still solvent! Im all for letting ownership know the fans aren't happy, but a fire the owner movement makes our fans come accross as petulant and entitled.

Reactions: Back in Black
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad