Proposal: How to get Hall to Boston? Krug + ????

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
so enlighten me.............

Who is the highest paid player(s) on Boston? Krejic, and Rask at just over 7 milion a year. Since they signed, Bruins leadership and core have all signed less than each of those contacts between 6-7 million a year. I'm talking Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Chara (who is actually had 2 contacts at a lower rate than the others) hell you could even throw Backes in there for 6 mil a year if you want. Both Carlo and McAvoy didn't get greedy either. Wagner took a team friendly deal, Coyle too. Although with Coyle some look at him as a bit of an overpayment given his time with the Wild not being very productive but he could have easily gotten 6+ with his time so far in Boston and looking at the Kevin Hayes contact as a comparison. Krug has been a part of this team for a long time now, battled and bruised. This is his family and to keep that together he understands that taking a couple $$ less than market is important to have a successful career. Management has worked very hard to clean up the cap and are a big part of the winning culture in Boston.

Krug will come in around 6.5 over 6 is my guess. I could see him getting 8+ on the market. He won't be included in a trade unless it's an unnecessary overpayment to pry him away. If Hall comes to Boston via trade it'll be for picks and prospects, not core roster players.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I could be wrong and I have been many times before,but I do not think he will sign for 6.5 he is going to want more. I have a serious problem with the years....... I know the Boston media and fans love this guy , but I feel he can be replaced by others on the roster now. I for one agree with your point on Coyle but he would be harder to replace right now.........

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I could be wrong and I have been many times before,but I do not think he will sign for 6.5 he is going to want more. I have a serious problem with the years....... I know the Boston media and fans love this guy , but I feel he can be replaced by others on the roster now. I for one agree with your point on Coyle but he would be harder to replace right now.........

When Krug was out for those handful of games this season with an injury, Gryzlak stepped up nicely for a couple games but had trouble after a few more. He COULD be a good replacement but Krug is far superior and still has some room to grow (not a height joke)

1021huss

Jan 26, 2010
Can the Bruins ask for a chance to negotiate a contract extension before the trade and if so how much does that change the asking price?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Boston? Best team for years? They haven’t won Cup since 2011. They haven’t even won their division since 2014. They’ve been a nice team for a while but at some point I suspect they are gonna stop hanging banners for beating Leafs in first round.

Three times to the Cup finals in one decade = "nice team". Question: how many other... "nice teams" have been to the finals three times in the 2010s? I already have the answer: only Chicago. You must be new to hockey.

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
With an expansion team coming soon in Seattle and hard salary cap for every team there is little to no way they will give away top prospects or drafts to get a player like Hall. No way if he doesn't want to sigh for less and only if the Bruins trade him for a core player like Krejci so Boston can protect him easier in the draft.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I’d give up a lot for an extended Hall, but we already have a better LW on the team, and Debrusk is a very good 2LW.

Giving up what it would likely cost for a rental makes this a non starter for me.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
A rented Hall might work but long term, the Bruins should pass. It’ll screw up the cap they have. IE; Toronto. Very similar.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
No. Because he is a pending UFA and this season for NJD can't be rescued. Is he going to turn them into a contender? Not effing likely.
Maybe if they traded for him, it would be because they'd be confident in being able to sign him to an extension...

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Krug does nothing for NJD.

You mean Subban at 9 million cap till 2021-2022 does nothing for NJD. Krug would be a huge improvement on him. Injury prone rental Hall as a Left winger is not a need, now if he was RW, still his salary expectations will be 10 million.

Krug will not hold Boston over a barrel for a contract, he will fit inline like everyone else, this is not Dubas its Sweeney.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe if they traded for him, it would be because they'd be confident in being able to sign him to an extension...

Maybe it would. Have they traded for him? Are we still talking Hall? Do you honestly believe the best a rebuilding team could get for an asset like Hall would be an offensive D man who will be ready for retirement by the time they can build a contender?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You mean Subban at 9 million cap till 2021-2022 does nothing for NJD. Krug would be a huge improvement on him. Injury prone rental Hall as a Left winger is not a need, now if he was RW, still his salary expectations will be 10 million.

Krug will not hold Boston over a barrel for a contract, he will fit inline like everyone else, this is not Dubas its Sweeney.

What? Is Boston suddenly the only team that can bid on Hall? What do Boston's needs mean to NJD? What does Subban have to do with this discussion?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Allegedly Shero wants two firsts and a young player. Realistically, that might mean a first a prospect and a conditional pick. With the age of a number of top players on the team this would seem like a prime year to go for it. It's hard to see BOS moving a guy like Krug in season with this good a team and it's hard to see how Krug fits the NJ roster or timeline. Krug is an excellent player but NJ already has a number of smallish defenders and another one on the way and needs a different kind of defender moving forward.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Maybe it would. Have they traded for him? Are we still talking Hall? Do you honestly believe the best a rebuilding team could get for an asset like Hall would be an offensive D man who will be ready for retirement by the time they can build a contender?

You are trying to put words in my mouth (not cool).
Never have I said that I would like to see a trade for Hall involving Krug going the other way: as a matter of fact there's a couple of posts here where I say that Krug is essential to the Bruins and we should sign him to an extension: I hope that Krug will sign longterm with the Bruins.
Never have I said that the best option for the Devils would be to sign a 28 year old defenseman: as a matter of fact, the Devils should target exclusively picks and prospects, because they need to tear it all down and rebuild it.
Never have I said that the best that NJ could get would be Krug, although that would be one hell of a player they'd get.

However... I commented about YOUR statement that "Krug does nothing for NJ".
That is a ridiculous/laughable statement, on multiple levels: Krug would immediately be the best defenseman that NJ has.
He's a very dynamic offensive defensemen who can also quarterback the PP like few others can: maybe you forgot or weren't around when the Bruins PP was the joke of the league for seasons on end, until Krug was hired and things changed dramatically. I do remember well though.
He can defend - though that isn't his top thing, but far from being a liability -, play over 20 minutes a game, and drives the play like mad, and last but not least he puts up an impressive amount of points. In the last three seasons he had an average over 82 games of 61 points, and during that span he was 5th in the NHL for points production amongst all defensemen (Burns 226 points, Hedman 189, Karlsson 178, Carlson 175, Krug 163). This season he is currently at 64 points over 82 games pace.

He's a D that "would do something" for each and every team in the league, never mind NJ only. I believe this to be a factual statement.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Never have I said that I would like to see a trade for Hall involving Krug going the other way: as a matter of fact there's a couple of posts here where I say that Krug is essential to the Bruins and we should sign him to an extension: I hope that Krug will sign longterm with the Bruins.
Never have I said that the best option for the Devils would be to sign a 28 year old defenseman: as a matter of fact, the Devils should target exclusively picks and prospects, because they need to tear it all down and rebuild it.
Never have I said that the best that NJ could get would be Krug, although that would be one hell of a player they'd get.

That is a ridiculous/laughable statement, on multiple levels: Krug would immediately be the best defenseman that NJ has.
He's a very dynamic offensive defensemen who can also quarterback the PP like few others can: maybe you forgot or weren't around when the Bruins PP was the joke of the league for seasons on end, until Krug was hired and things changed dramatically. I do remember well though.
He can defend - though that isn't his top thing, but far from being a liability -, play over 20 minutes a game, and drives the play like mad, and last but not least he puts up an impressive amount of points. In the last three seasons he had an average over 82 games of 61 points, and during that span he was 5th in the NHL for points production amongst all defensemen (Burns 226 points, Hedman 189, Karlsson 178, Carlson 175, Krug 163). This season he is currently at 64 points over 82 games pace.

He's a D that "would do something" for each and every team in the league, never mind NJ only. I believe this to be a factual statement.

I see it as a stylistic thing. NJ would probably pair him with Vatanen. Another small player. Vats is willing but on the slower side. I think he’d spend all his time under assault and having to play against forwards in front of his own net. That’s not really his game and he’d be wasted on the current NJ roster. I don’t think anyone is suggesting he isn’t a top notch player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I guess I took your response to my post as meaning you thought Krug would be a good return for Hall. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I thought that was what you were saying.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was not a good player. I didn't say he does nothing for any team. I stand by my statement that Krug does nothing for NJD though. It certainly isn't ridiculous on any level. He would be a good addition to many teams. NJD are not one of them. He has no value to a team in their situation. A temporary improvement to their defense can only hurt their draft position.

What they need for Hall is futures, picks and prospects.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad