Proposal: How to get Hall to Boston? Krug + ????

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
Would love to see Boston land Hall. Hate to give up Krug but pending UFA status makes him an attractive carrot to dangle should it become a problem to get him signed.

What else does it take to land Hall?

Krug, Bjork and/or Heinen, Pick?

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Would love to see Boston land Hall. Hate to give up Krug but pending UFA status makes him an attractive carrot to dangle should it become a problem to get him signed.

And why would the Devils, a team looking like a basement dweller, trade their much better pending ufa for a lesser ufa and spare parts??? Are you implying the Devils could "easily" move Krug for an additional return?? Seems to me that the Devils would be better served to trade Hall for less HIGHER end assets than to trade for Krug and lesser assets and then to turn around and trade Krug for more lesser assets.

When I put it this way it doesn't make much sense does it??

If you want Hall then you are going to have to part with a damned good YOUNG asset that you really don't want to part with, not a pending ufa unless said ufa is there just to make cap hits and contracts match.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't see why the Bruins would have any trouble re-signing Krug. Most teams will be weary of adding a D with the expansion draft looming.

All they need to do is find a taker for Backes.

Reactions: bbfan419

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
If you can't sign him, another team will give up their best asset for him so they can have nothing to show for that asset next season? Or more like the hfboards logic of "since this player has no value to my team, other teams will give me whatever I want for him"?

Fair enough but if I'm a GM, I'm trying to sign Player X NOW, not after the season. If I feel my odds aren't good, I'm derelict in my duties as a GM to TRY to get something for Player X before he walks.

Yeah, it's a long shot. Will Player X sign with the new team, etc... but you try to put together an attractive deal.

I don't know about you but I'm doing everything I can to get something for a player like Krug if I can't get him signed. Worse case, he walks.....best case, I get a body/bodies in return.

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
And why would the Devils, a team looking like a basement dweller, trade their much better pending ufa for a lesser ufa and spare parts??? Are you implying the Devils could "easily" move Krug for an additional return?? Seems to me that the Devils would be better served to trade Hall for less HIGHER end assets than to trade for Krug and lesser assets and then to turn around and trade Krug for more lesser assets.

When I put it this way it doesn't make much sense does it??

If you want Hall then you are going to have to part with a damned good YOUNG asset that you really don't want to part with, not a pending ufa unless said ufa is there just to make cap hits and contracts match.

I honestly don't have an answer......hence the "How do I get Hall to Boston?"

I threw out Krug.....plug in the rest. Yeah, I understand it's very unlikely the two teams dance but I'm curious of what the opinions are here on the Boards.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Pending UFAs are not going to be the centerpieces coming back when sellers trade high-end pending UFAs. Look at first rounders, good-to-great prospects, other futures, and occasionally players signed to term on good contracts (but these are rarer).

The prices are fairly well established as far as the seller-buyer relationships are concerned. Hall is the top free agent available at the deadline (at least it's looking that way, given his apparent reluctance to re-sign with the Devils) and the price will begin with a first rounder, the best one that the Devils can find.

Boston is already behind the eight ball because they are a great team. Their first rounder is going to be late in the round.

The answer is Boston's first rounder plus one of its top three prospects, or something in that ballpark.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Wrong kind of D that NJ needs.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Once again, HF is going to be full of “What the, that’s IT?” “The Devils got fleeced,” etc once Hall actually gets moved.

Reactions: abo9

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Once again, HF is going to be full of “What the, that’s IT?” “The Devils got fleeced,” etc once Hall actually gets moved.

Eh, goes both ways. Hall will at least land a late first, B prospect, and probably a young roster player (bottom sixer or bottom pairing). You have to figure the bare minimum is a bit more than Rangers got for Hayes.

For all the disappointments, there’s also “Rangers won’t get a first for Hayes.” “Rangers won’t get a first for Nash or second for Grabner.” Now “Rangers won’t get a first for Kreider.” - Brian Boyle the 4th line center who yearly nets a 2nd rounder.

There are vague parameters on these deals that of course can change based on the market for that given year.

Hall for Krug is just an out of left field trade. NJ wants futures, not a lesser guy to then try and flip since he very doubtfully wants to play in a place called “The Swamp.”

Reactions: Seachd

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I honestly don't have an answer......hence the "How do I get Hall to Boston?"

I threw out Krug.....plug in the rest. Yeah, I understand it's very unlikely the two teams dance but I'm curious of what the opinions are here on the Boards.
The options are probably the ones that start with a much better centerpiece than a pending UFA Torrey Krug for a game-changing MVP-level player. Here’s a hint distill Krug++ into a Top 10 1st or a single YOUNG promising player with value approximate to Krug++ and you’re on the same track of a package literally every single other team in the NHL would construct for Taylor Hall and you might not be outbid. As it stands I do not see the OP as being even competitive with what other contenders could/likely would offer.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
From a Devils standpoint, I would target one of Heinen, Bjork, or DeBrusk + Vaakainen + pick. Preferably a first but maybe less depending on the forward we get in return.

Boston wouldn't like it but I would play hardball on that offer if I were Shero.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
DeBrusk is an established contributor on a Cup contender, and he won't be made available by Boston for a rental. Futures, though, that's where the Devils can aim high.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad