How to Fix the Canadiens Power Play Woes

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Eller's job should be to fish for pucks in the corner and stand in front of the goalie. That's it. MT should have tried this a long time ago.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
MT still doesn't get it Eller at the point on the PP....
Eller Patches Sekac Subban Markov
2nd wave
Pleks Chuckie and I would try Trangredi in front of net with PK and gonchar...

How about letting Tangradi play one game before giving him pp time

RDS says Eller and Sekac were taking turns with DD and Patches on the 1st pp today. Parenteau was with Subban at the point.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I don't really expect it or want to see it, but I remember Subban being quite effective in front of the net during powerplays, in the WJC.... I hope my memory serves me well.

His job was to stay right in the middle of the defenders box to open up space on the perimeter, he wasnt really a front net presence but more of a high slot threat.

I would not want to see it either, Subbans spot on the pp is clearly the left point on the PP just like Weber, Ovy, Seguin, Stamkos, all elite RH shots.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, I would evaluate Tangradi for at least 5 games, let him get comfortable, but then if he does well, I would look at parking him I front of opposing goalies.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Hockey Systems 101

When you use an Overload hockey system, you need a BIG player screening the goalie.... Why are Gallagher and Desharnais used there? Why are we trying to reinvent the Wheel.... You don't put a 5'6 or 5'8 goalie to screen a 6'3 or 6'7 goalie.

"Player 3 needs to be a big presence in front of the net, with the ability to hold their own and grab up rebounds. This play’s formation tends to result in a large number of outside shots on goal; Player 3 should be able to hold position, screen the goalie, redirect shots whenever possible, and make plays with rebounds".

http://www.crossicehockey.com/overload-power-play-system/

It's in ALL hockey systems books. What's so hard to understand? And don't put MaxPac or Galchenyuk there instead to cripple us in other ways... You can piss off people in the room or have a good PP. You can't have both.

Windymind

Aug 2, 2010
When you use an Overload hockey system, you need a BIG player screening the goalie.... Why are Gallagher and Desharnais used there? Why are we trying to reinvent the Wheel.... You don't put a 5'6 or 5'8 goalie to screen a 6'3 or 6'7 goalie.

Sekac could be an option

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
I have 2 solutions. Umbrella style with Markov in between Pacioretty and Subban. Galchenyuk the center, and a big guy in front of the net (Prust, Sekac or Eller).
Or, 3 defense men: Markov and Gonchar on points with Subban on the left Wall a la Ovechkin. With Galchenyuk and Pacioretty as the other players.

There's no reason that Markov, Subban, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk shouldn't be on for 1:30 of the PP. Therrien should stop rolling the lines as much as he does.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I have 2 solutions. Umbrella style with Markov in between Pacioretty and Subban. Galchenyuk the center, and a big guy in front of the net (Prust, Sekac or Eller).
Or, 3 defense men: Markov and Gonchar on points with Subban on the left Wall a la Ovechkin. With Galchenyuk and Pacioretty as the other players.

There's no reason that Markov, Subban, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk shouldn't be on for 1:30 of the PP. Therrien should stop rolling the lines as much as he does.

Too much change. Our coach can't handle that since he is a :dunce:

Oh but he wins right?... Come on defenders, tell me why Therrien is a good coach.

PricePkPatch*

Dubbe had a proposition for the power play:

XXXXX
Subban-Eller-Patch
Beaulieu

He wants to see Patch and Subban on their shot sides, with Beaulieu high to shoot straight if the opposition cheat on the sides too much.

With Eller in front of the net. Id add Sekac to cycle deep in the zone with him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gallagher is in front of the net to fish for rebounds and thus to fracture the opposing defense. He's not there to screen the goalie.

He's there because Therrien doesn't trust the other options, e.g. Eller, Sekac, Weise, to provide that combination of getting rebounds and thus fracturing the offense as well as screening the goalie. Pacioretty is preferred at another position, Galchenyuk for the second unit.

68*

Dubbe had a proposition for the power play:

XXXXX
Subban-Eller-Patch
Beaulieu

He wants to see Patch and Subban on their shot sides, with Beaulieu high to shoot straight if the opposition cheat on the sides too much.

With Eller in front of the net. Id add Sekac to cycle deep in the zone with him.
So there would only be Beaulieu at the blue line? Would not be very hard for the other team's PK to clear the zone.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Cant they watch what other teams do and try to copy if its too hard to create a pp strategy? Cant be this hard lol

PricePkPatch*

So there would only be Beaulieu at the blue line? Would not be very hard for the other team's PK to clear the zone.

Its not very hard for them to clear the zone already

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Cant they watch what other teams do and try to copy if its too hard to create a pp strategy? Cant be this hard lol

Watched the Capitals game last night and was thinking that Subban would look great playing the same role Ovechkin does. Both RH shot with great one timers and great mobility. Something I would be looking to copy if I was the Habs' coaching staff.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Watched the Capitals game last night and was thinking that Subban would look great playing the same role Ovechkin does. Both RH shot with great one timers and great mobility. Something I would be looking to copy if I was the Habs' coaching staff.

Sold me

number 11

Jan 11, 2008
Montreal
unbelievable that it took over 40 games to finally make a change on one of the worst pp's in the league. therrien always seems to do the right thing way too late.

now, is he going to put the right personnel on? doubful.

skipp18

Oct 18, 2006
Montreal
His job was to stay right in the middle of the defenders box to open up space on the perimeter, he wasnt really a front net presence but more of a high slot threat.

I would not want to see it either, Subbans spot on the pp is clearly the left point on the PP just like Weber, Ovy, Seguin, Stamkos, all elite RH shots.

Yes that's correct. It was a very innovative powerplay. I believe Guy Boucher might have been the assistant that year running the PP.
Don't forget that was a stacked offensive team with Eberle, Tavares, Hodgson and Ellis who was a fantastic point man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad